Volkswagen ID Forum banner

I have driven my ID4 extensively and, re: inappropriate ESC intervention described herein;

• Other: I am non-US AWD/GTX owner (please post experience and software version)

Votes: 0 0.0%
181 - 200 of 251 Posts

·
2021 Pro AWD
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I've driven my car for 1400 miles and I don't think I've ever seen this warning come on when getting off the freeways. All I've seen were several warnings that my distance between the car in front of me was too close and once where a red warning sign came on and then went away. I think that red sign was for collision warning, but I'm not sure? The car never did a hard brake and it just kept going and this was when I was getting on to the freeway.
we tend to drive fairly similar routes so if your routine doesn't include a off-ramp that's especially tight, possible you just haven't seen it yet. have you done a winding long mountain road yet?

This weekend I was driving on the 39 here in southern California and I had activation for the first time in ESC sport mode, but was only once... sport mode generally still continues to obviate this problem

·
84 Posts
we tend to drive fairly similar routes so if your routine doesn't include a off-ramp that's especially tight, possible you just haven't seen it yet. have you done a winding long mountain road yet?

This weekend I was driving on the 39 here in southern California and I had activation for the first time in ESC sport mode, but was only once... sport mode generally still continues to obviate this problem
Have you try the onramp from 22 East to 5/57 North? AWD Pro S happen to me every time there. Clear no rain typical weather here.

·
2021 ID.4 AWD ProS
136 Posts
"... Just to add another data point ..."
First ... CONGRATS on taking delivery and welcome to the forum; There's a lot of good info to be discovered here.

The ID.4 really is a GREAT vehicle ... and the $5/Gal gasoline just makes it "all the better."

Don't let this thread make you think any different; IMO this Early ESC Activation is just a minor growing pain of the type inherent in many new, complex, "System of systems" products.

While sorry that you too are seeing the odd ESC behavior; also a bit glad to have more "company."

Note that anytime you adjust your tire pressures ... to receive optimum "alerting" of inflation problems ... you should ALSO reset the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in the Infotainment HMI's "Vehicle" section.

Given the no spare tire design ... this is one system you really want performing well.

·
843 Posts

I have done 95 miles of tight one lane combination paved-gravel mountain roads, 10 miles of dirt roads, 140 miles of twisty HWY 1 or roads very similar, plus approximately 600 miles of curvy roads and the only time I had it beep and the ESC warning come up was on an on ramp at 25 mph, which I travel all the time and nothing has happened since.

·
2021 Pro AWD
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
I have done 95 miles of tight one lane combination paved-gravel mountain roads, 10 miles of dirt roads, 140 miles of twisty HWY 1 or roads very similar, plus approximately 600 miles of curvy roads and the only time I had it beep and the ESC warning come up was on an on ramp at 25 mph, which I travel all the time and nothing has happened since.
Again not to discount your episode, but I think for most people here this is a very reproducible problem and the rest of us seem to all have all wheel drive IDs. I'm not sure what happened that one time you describe in your RWD, it seems to be a minor version of what we have going on or something completely different.

For those calling this a minor or non-issue, I think you should understand that you're only expressing your opinion with your car. On a mountain road I could easily rack up dozens of interventions if I didn't have it in ESC sport mode, it's hard to maintain any momentum and it's highly noticeable to all in the car; honestly in those circumstances I don't consider this a minor inconvenience at all. The cars driveability was so bad heading up to Idyllwild 2 weeks ago I had to pull over and get it into ESC sport mode right away.

For my routine daily driving it's no big deal with only one inappropriate activation per commute for me, on a particular off ramp. But if lived in the mountains this would be a major issue

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S Gradient AWD
575 Posts
It took many of these ESC events before I realized everything that was going on. It's not just a flashing ESC light, or even the audible alert that accompanies "ESC Intervention". ESC is messing with the brakes on one or both front wheels to try and correct for a bogus out-of-spec difference in wheel speed, indicating to the car that an unsafe condition needs correction when in fact no such condition is occurring. You can feel it, you can hear it. Maybe mine is worse than others, I don't know, but that's what's happening to my car. Unacceptable.

Dear Diary,

Day 8: The dealer informs me they have taken all the actions directed by VW, including road force balancing. They need to take it on a test drive now that's known to trigger the problem, but they need 2 techs in the car monitoring wheel speed. They can't spare 2 techs until tomorrow (Tuesday).

·
843 Posts
Again not to discount your episode, but I think for most people here this is a very reproducible problem and the rest of us seem to all have all wheel drive IDs. I'm not sure what happened that one time you describe in your RWD, it seems to be a minor version of what we have going on or something completely different.

For those calling this a minor or non-issue, I think you should understand that you're only expressing your opinion with your car. On a mountain road I could easily rack up dozens of interventions if I didn't have it in ESC sport mode, it's hard to maintain any momentum and it's highly noticeable to all in the car; honestly in those circumstances I don't consider this a minor inconvenience at all. The cars driveability was so bad heading up to Idyllwild 2 weeks ago I had to pull over and get it into ESC sport mode right away.

For my routine daily driving it's no big deal with only one inappropriate activation per commute for me, on a particular off ramp. But if lived in the mountains this would be a major issue
Why would you put up with that? Obviously you have a serious problem. Do you think the German trained American VW people are so inept that they can’t find a problem that shows up every day? What brand cars are you used to may I ask? Because it only sounds like Dodge-Fiat to me.

·
2021 Pro AWD
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Why would you put up with that? Obviously you have a serious problem. Do you think the German trained American VW people are so inept that they can’t find a problem that shows up every day? What brand cars are you used to may I ask? Because it only sounds like Dodge-Fiat to me.
no loaners at purchasing dealer, can't afford to have car out of service... they Make you wait a day or two before they tell you whether they can offer a rental car instead, also sneaking suspicion that this is software and dealer will not be able to fix.

submitted NHSTA complaint as per earlier in this thread in hopes of getting VW to take action.

·
Red AWD
65 Posts
Repeatably happens on "inside" (left-turn) offramp to I90 towards Spokane, WA from I405 heading to Renton, WA. These are the coordinates 47.5798, -122.1735. Anyone else was able to reproduce the issue in this spot?
Reproducible again, for the 3rd time, same place. 47.5798, -122.1735. Anyone from WA was able to reproduce the issue in this very spot?

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S Gradient AWD
575 Posts
With all due respect, this isn't how VW warranty service works. At the dealer level, "finding" a problem is basically "observing" a "possible" problem. If a dealer "observes" this, but they have no clue how to fix it or whether VW will pay them to investigate further, they have to open a case with VW and hope VW will accept the case. Then the dealer has to follow VW's guidance on what to do.

I'll go out on a limb here: When Fiat/Dodge told you "If you floored it, you're out of luck", did you ask them to show you in writing where 'flooring" the car voids the warranty? Or ask them to provide some other written evidence that you violated the warranty? Did you perhaps ask them why the car was so fragile that "flooring" it would break it? If it was that fragile, why didn't they put some kind of limiter on the throttle that kept it within the car's capabilities?

See, these are the questions owners need be prepared to ask and insist on getting answers.

Now if the car had been repeatedly abused, it would probably show up in the recorded logs (the car's "black box") and then you might not have a leg to stand on.

I have no idea what actually happened in your case but if I knew I was in the right and had done nothing wrong, I would not have accepted their flip response of 'You floored it, now enjoy your Dodge Dart".

·
843 Posts
Dodge-Fiat is a joke and the service manager told me Dodge Corporate told him we fix it unless he ever floored it. He warned me but I wasn’t about to lie like that for anyone. So after a 20 minute test drive with 3 ride-along’s (head mechanic, assistant service manager, and someone else) inside as we pulled back into the dealer one asked me “the question.” And that was his response.

And yes VW can find a major problem that occurs every day and I’m sure they will want to get to the bottom of it. Otherwise you get a lawyer and they will pay.

·
2021 ID.4 AWD ProS
136 Posts
"... If a dealer "observes" this [malfunction], but they have no clue how to fix it or whether VW will pay them to investigate further ..."
Well stated.

In my experiences getting "over this hurdle" is the real challenge.

Don't know if VWOA actively "discourages asking," or if just they just make it an administrative PITA for the service department ...

... or if it's just simple human nature at the local level to prefer NOT asking for outside assistance.

·
113 Posts

Okay. Just for kicks I went to half moon bay from Daly city and took Cabrillo Highway. I did experience the ESC activating while going around bends. I don't know if any has tried or not, but I changed from B to D and same issue while I was driving in conform mode. Sport mode also does the same. What I found stopped the ESC activating was to change it to Traction.

·
2021 Pro AWD
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Okay. Just for kicks I went to half moon bay from Daly city and took Cabrillo Highway. I did experience the ESC activating while going around bends. I don't know if any has tried or not, but I changed from B to D and same issue while I was driving in conform mode. Sport mode also does the same. What I found stopped the ESC activating was to change it to Traction.
to clarify, ESC sport mode is not the same as the driving mode called Sport that is easily accessed. ESC sport is buried in the vehicle menu under "brakes."interesting observation about traction mode.

181 - 200 of 251 Posts