Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glass roof temperature transmission outside to inside heat & cold & ice buildup. What are your observations.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
I can say that my friend’s ~15 year old Passat with panoramic glass roof is quite ok on a Southern California summer day. Probably heats less than many “regular” cars.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I'm actually a bit more concerned with the black roof paint around the pano glass in the FE.

My daughter's similarly painted Mini Countryman's surround metal gets scorching hot even in New England summers. I'll be extra careful to only wash in the shade! But then part of my rationale for buying the ID.4 is a somewhat return to my 'Jeep mindset' where I'm not so anal about frequent washings. ;)

·
2 Posts
I have a friend that has a Tesla 3 with all that glass roof. He ended up ordering some type of shade for it because of the extreme Atlanta heat. He said that it was already tinted too so...

·
2 Posts
Fortunately we have a shade in the ID.4, which is electrically actuated.
Cool, I really want one now after joining and reading the posts here.
I almost reserved a FE the second time it came around and I even had my wife’s permission, but I was too late so....

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
38 Posts
Tesla model 3 roof has a tint that limits UV rays and too much heat from coming into vehicle. Does the ID4 roof have a tint to block UV rays and lower heat retention? I’ve put a deposit on an AWD ID4. Looking forward to it!

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
213 Posts
I have an ID.4 FE with the pano roof and live in the south where it has actually been a few degrees hotter than he** for a while. We have lots of direct sunlight as well. During the day it gets too hot in the car if I have the sun shade open. With it closed it is perfect. Not sure what engineering went into the shade but it keeps the interior quite comfortable. That paired with the white steering wheel and lighter seats and it has been a lot more comfortable than my cars with dark interiors.

The black part of the roof does get hot to the touch but was painted real well. I do not notice any swirls or any paint anomalies. Right after I got it, I cleaned it real well and did a ceramic wax job on it and I find that helps keep it clean.

If you are on the fence on the pano roof, just get it if it makes sense. It is perfectly comfortable during the day and at dusk with the shade open it is wonderful. Just remember during the day to say “Hello ID, it’s hot in here”. She’ll take care of the rest. :)

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
38 Posts
I have an ID.4 FE with the pano roof and live in the south where it has actually been a few degrees hotter than he** for a while. We have lots of direct sunlight as well. During the day it gets too hot in the car if I have the sun shade open. With it closed it is perfect. Not sure what engineering went into the shade but it keeps the interior quite comfortable. That paired with the white steering wheel and lighter seats and it has been a lot more comfortable than my cars with dark interiors.

The black part of the roof does get hot to the touch but was painted real well. I do not notice any swirls or any paint anomalies. Right after I got it, I cleaned it real well and did a ceramic wax job on it and I find that helps keep it clean.

If you are on the fence on the pano roof, just get it if it makes sense. It is perfectly comfortable during the day and at dusk with the shade open it is wonderful. Just remember during the day to say “Hello ID, it’s hot in here”. She’ll take care of the rest. :)
I have ordered my AWD w/ pano roof. And I will look into ceramic wax. I‘ve only used traditional wax in the past, but it is finicky and hard to apply near cracks/crevices. Ceramic wax is spray on? Easier application? Good protection? How often do you have to apply? Thanks for your help!

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
213 Posts
I have ordered my AWD w/ pano roof. And I will look into ceramic wax. I‘ve only used traditional wax in the past, but it is finicky and hard to apply near cracks/crevices. Ceramic wax is spray on? Easier application? Good protection? How often do you have to apply? Thanks for your help!
I use Mothers ceramic wax. Initially, I sprayed it on a clean car and rubbed it in with a microfiber cloth. From that point on, reapplication can be just a spray-on and wash off with water. I don't think it needs to be done all that often, maybe quarterly. It makes the car mirror shine in the black areas and looks great.

There is a much better option, which is to pay for a service where they do paint correction and then ceramic coat the car. It is much more permanent and produces good results. It can be pricy though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts