Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering swapping to a Tesla Model Y RWD s opposed to the ID4 First. The reason is because of very limited info from VW.

The RWD is a $7k difference and the AWD is a $14K difference. Somehow, I am thinking the Tesla would have greater longevity as it it more mature in terms of hardware and software, thus lower total cost of ownership.

and if EV tax credit is reinstated for Tesla then the difference of $7K would be for the AWD.

Anyone have similar thoughts? I will be test driving the Model Y AWD this week.

Comment welcomed.

·
142 Posts
Tesla dropped prices when their eligibility for tax credits ended. The people that will make out are those that buy a Tesla before any extention comes thru and they raise prices. It's a gamble for those choosing to buy before any Govt announcement, because it may not happen or eligibility rules may change.

·
44 Posts
Tesla dropped prices when their eligibility for tax credits ended. The people that will make out are those that buy a Tesla before any extention comes thru and they raise prices. It's a gamble for those choosing to buy before any Govt announcement, because it may not happen or eligibility rules may change.
They will only raise prices if the demand allows it. Competition is heating. Here is a nice car but who knows it if will ever make it to the U.S. and if it does what will the tariffs be?

·
227 Posts
They will only raise prices if the demand allows it. Competition is heating. Here is a nice car but who knows it if will ever make it to the U.S. and if it does what will the tariffs be?
They most likely won’t raise prices? A less expensive battery is not far away and it may cost half of what they are now. Plus, like you said competition is heating up. There are rumors they will have a 25k EV in the next year or so. I’m still in a holding pattern, but I can’t wait forever. I will need a car as soon as my wife goes back into the office.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
246 Posts
Since I had an "FE" reservation on a Tesla 3 I still get regular emails. Many more of late on solo motor standard range Y. I'm fine with that as competition is a good thing. That's one of the reasons I boltered on the 3, to await a more competitive market with more offerings. The ID.4 was a pleasant surprise and just what I was looking for. I do still prefer the more 'classical' CUV planform for my use, even as I recognize the Y as a significant EV.
Once you make your decision don't look back. That just drives you crazy. 🤪

·
54 Posts
Since I had an "FE" reservation on a Tesla 3 I still get regular emails. Many more of late on solo motor standard range Y. I'm fine with that as competition is a good thing. That's one of the reasons I boltered on the 3, to await a more competitive market with more offerings. The ID.4 was a pleasant surprise and just what I was looking for. I do still prefer the more 'classical' CUV planform for my use, even as I recognize the Y as a significant EV.
Once you make your decision don't look back. That just drives you crazy. 🤪
I’d suggest drive yourself crazy up to the point where you sign the dotted line. After that embrace and enjoy what you decided on. The fact that these decisions are so hard suggests the market is getting filled with interesting options with different baskets of goods for different customer profiles.

·
44 Posts
I’d suggest drive yourself crazy up to the point where you sign the dotted line. After that embrace and enjoy what you decided on. The fact that these decisions are so hard suggests the market is getting filled with interesting options with different baskets of goods for different customer profiles.
I suspect there will continue to be more and more choices/options both with the vehicle design and the batteries and of course price. Tax credits will likely continue and perhaps even be extended to include Tesla and anyone else that sell in excess of 200K units per year.

·
37 Posts
I suspect there will continue to be more and more choices/options both with the vehicle design and the batteries and of course price. Tax credits will likely continue and perhaps even be extended to include Tesla and anyone else that sell in excess of 200K units per year.
I hope you’re right about extending tax credits and including Tesla and GM. More competition is better. I assume tax law requires approval of both houses of Congress, and Senate approval wouldn’t be guaranteed. But I’m hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
246 Posts
Yes indeed and I was thinking same even if not well conveyed. I do compare which each new product available/or projected and am pleased that as of this writing the ID.4 is still the best choice for my needs incl. desired price range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts