Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
6 Posts
how can the VW equivalent of autopilot work if there’s no front camera? 🤷🏻‍♂️
it is using radar sensors at this time. And this is definitely not as close to Tesla's autopilot. This is just adaptive cruise control with lane keeping assist. If you refer to some videos of the VW system on their other cars, it disengages on curving roads that Tesla's autopilot would be able to handle. This is due to a difference in the amount of data such as cameras and sensors, but also the software.

·
6 Posts
I find it hard to believe it’s 100% radar based. Do you have a source for that claim?
To correct myself, the VW ID4 does have a front camera but not one on the front grill area that allows it to see near the bumper. The camera for the front is used for the ACC and for the speed sign recognition feature. If you go to one of the showings for the ID4 at the dealership, you can see this.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
286 Posts
To correct myself, the VW ID4 does have a front camera but not one on the front grill area that allows it to see near the bumper. The camera for the front is used for the ACC and for the speed sign recognition feature. If you go to one of the showings for the ID4 at the dealership, you can see this.
Will the U.S. version not have a camera in the front VW badge? It's referenced in the Owner's Manual but pretty sure it's the European manual:

·
66 Posts
So cameras aren’t the issue. Two cameras are more than enough to have a decent “VWcam”

·
2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
130 Posts

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
72 Posts
Are there any car manufacturers other than Tesla that do this? I've been wondering if this is something that could come to the ID.4, or any other car I've been looking at, and can't understand why it hasn't become a standard feature now that almost every car has multiple built in cameras.
BMW has. its called "drive recorder". so others will follow suit. Question is when.

I find it hard to believe it’s 100% radar based. Do you have a source for that claim?
And to give you insight how "travel assist" works aka VW's AutoPilot.

The car has Front sensors/Sidesensors/Lane assist and a camera in the windscreen [and maybe more sensors elsewhere]
It sees the difference between a car, a lorry and a motorcycle on your lane and the lanes beside you.
it detects barriers and high curbs
it detects line markings.

I wont believe that it is only "radar", there needs to be some AI with video involvement a la autopilot.

Reactions: FredT

·
66 Posts
I wont believe that it is only "radar", there needs to be some AI with video involvement a la autopilot.
I can tell with 100% certainly it's not radar-only. I assume VW uses MobilEye or some similar solution. These systems are all vision based with a supporting radar.

I mean, you can't read traffic signs with radar :)

FWIW, the (German) videos I've seen suggest Travel Assist is pretty decent. It isn't AutoPilot (no lane changes, and I do wonder how well it would work on American roads that are notoriously bad compared to German roads) but it's much better than most if not anything else.

·
100 Posts
I can tell with 100% certainly it's not radar-only. I assume VW uses MobilEye or some similar solution. These systems are all vision based with a supporting radar.

I mean, you can't read traffic signs with radar :)

FWIW, the (German) videos I've seen suggest Travel Assist is pretty decent. It isn't AutoPilot (no lane changes, and I do wonder how well it would work on American roads that are notoriously bad compared to German roads) but it's much better than most if not anything else.
You are right, VW does use MobilEye. The system is excellent, everything that I want in a driver assist system.

·
66 Posts
You are right, VW does use MobilEye. The system is excellent, everything that I want in a driver assist system.
VW's version of MobilEye is certainly not bad, I and I would definitely be happy to use it on long trips, but I wouldn't say it's excellent. It's less advanced than the current Tesla Autopilot (the free included version, not the FSD upgrade), and the new FSD beta really blows MobilEye away. Check out the Tesla FSD beta videos on Twitter and YouTube, they're absolutely mind-blowing. I would be surprised if MobilEye is able to catch up in the next 5 or so years.

·
100 Posts
VW's version of MobilEye is certainly not bad, I and I would definitely be happy to use it on long trips, but I wouldn't say it's excellent. It's less advanced than the current Tesla Autopilot (the free included version, not the FSD upgrade), and the new FSD beta really blows MobilEye away. Check out the Tesla FSD beta videos on Twitter and YouTube, they're absolutely mind-blowing. I would be surprised if MobilEye is able to catch up in the next 5 or so years.

I think that you are overselling Autopilot. As far as FSD, I think that in the end MobilEye's approach will prove superior.

Mobileye CEO Says Tesla’s Autopilot Development Will Hit ' A Glass Ceiling '

·
66 Posts
Lol, bring it on! You don’t need HD maps where Tesla is going ;)

but seriously: competition is good for everyone, and if I were the MobilEye CEO I’d say the same thing. It’s a fundamentally different approach to be reliant on HD maps. I don’t know what MobileEye’s next version is going to be, but I do know every Tesla on the road today will get the new FSD and AutoPilot update this year. The Tesla hardware is ready for it. I don’t think anyone can claim that VW’s travel assist can even come close to the video I shared above.

·
362 Posts
Since I enjoy driving, I don't care one witt about FSD, Autopilot or MobilEye.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
286 Posts

·
66 Posts
The bigger issue is the Mobileye approach Shashua is raving about uses LIDAR which the ID.4 does not have.
I would be surprised if any affordable mass produced car will have LIDAR any time soon. I think this is another example where vertical integration makes more sense instead of suppliers making bold claims.

I also wonder if we'll see any improvements using the current hardware like Tesla does.

·
12 Posts
Model Y (SR) RWD has been removed from Tesla configuration page. Not sure what that means but speculation is that it may be replaced by the long promised LR RWD model, due to low range of SR.

·
230 Posts
Model Y (SR) RWD has been removed from Tesla configuration page. Not sure what that means but speculation is that it may be replaced by the long promised LR RWD model, due to low range of SR.
They also dropped AWD price by 1k. Did you notice that?

·
10 Posts
I wonder if Tesla was overwhelmed by interest in the SR Model Y and began to worry that this budget MY would cannibalize their own M3 sales. Let's not forget that the SR Model Y came with the full premium interior, not partial-premium interior of SR Model 3. Would be a shame if the SR Model Y was gone for good. After all, even at a real-world range of 180-200 miles it would still meet the needs of most drivers out there.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
50 Posts
Interesting that it's gone from the configurator already.

My wife and I had a SR Model Y for an overnight test drive yesterday, and the salesman said nothing about it being discontinued. We were seriously considering putting in an order after the price drop, but the test drive really underwhelmed us. We drove it on two lane highways from Seattle out to Snoqualmie Falls and back, and Autopilot was simply terrible. The wipers were a pain to turn on and adjust in the rain (and the auto setting was far too infrequent to keep up with the rain), the pop-out door handles were awkward for my wife's small hands, and the huge central screen was a mess of information that made it hard to find what you needed while driving. Plus, we put a supercharger into the navigation and let the battery precondition as we drove to it, and after plugging in it only drew 75kW and quickly tapered down to 39kW after a few minutes, even after preconditioning and with a 40% state of charge. We returned the car this morning, and have lost all interest in getting one.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts