Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm strongly considering an ID4 and I'm about 95% of the way there. Could you help me by answering two basic questions:

-- As the ID4 stands today, if you could go back in time would you still get the ID4? Yes/No/Maybe.

-- Can you rate how you feel about your ID4 on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'll give you an example from my personal experience. My prior car was a leased BMW i3. If I went back in time, Yes I would do it again. No regrets on leasing it. I'd rate it somewhere around an 8.5. The back seat was basically unusable for me so that and other things don't get it closer to a 10 rating for me. I am looking to lease something different this time.

I've read a bunch of different posts here about both positives and issues with the ID4. Read or skimmed through all 24 pages of this post about things people would like to change:
To VW: Changes we would like to see in the ID.4.
Despite most of the things you'd like to change, I think most of you are happy with the ID4. Is that right?

Thanks in advance and all responses are appreciated.

·
133 Posts
I love this car. I've had quite a few new edition cars and can relate to the problems people are having but also understand the challenge of "beta testing" a vehicle. I'm all in at 10 of 10 other than needing a trailer hitch for my bikes. I think a lot of the problems people are having are either things that will be resolved with updates or basic EV education issues.

·
7 Posts
We had a Chevy Bolt. my wife and I were both pleased with it. After driving the ID4 we knew that this was our next vehicle. So when one that was our model and color at a dealer 60 miles from where we lived we went and purchased it. we are both up in our later years. It has been a slow learning curb for us. But each day we learn day we learn something new about the car. After all is said ad done we would do it again. no regrets.

·
80 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm strongly considering an ID4 and I'm about 95% of the way there. Could you help me by answering two basic questions:

-- As the ID4 stands today, if you could go back in time would you still get the ID4? Yes/No/Maybe.

I'll give you an example from my personal experience. My prior car was a leased BMW i3. If I went back in time, Yes I would do it again. No regrets on leasing it. I'd rate it somewhere around an 8.5. The back seat was basically unusable for me so that and other things don't get it closer to a 10 rating for me. I am looking to lease something different this time.

I've read a bunch of different posts here about both positives and issues with the ID4. Read or skimmed through all 24 pages of this post about things people would like to change:
Despite most of the things you'd like to change, I think most of you are happy with the ID4. Is that right?

I would never have purchased this car if I knew of all of its issues. Never. Ever.

I've tried to sell it after 4 days, but the best I can do is $35,000 on a $45,000 car. A 10k loss for 4 days.

This is not to say that there aren't some great things about the car, or that it is all bad. It's just that I don't have the time or patience for the glitches. I expect things I buy to work properly. The ID.4 does not.

·
Blue ID.4 FE
10 Posts

For your first question: Yes, if I went back in time I would still buy this car.
For your second question: This being my first BEV, I would rate it a 10.

Sure, there are some short comings such as the 0-60 acceleration rate. But then I didn't buy this car to race other cars on the boulevard. It does just fine in normal traffic. This car is good looking; fun to drive; comfortable, spacious; quiet; and most of all very affordable (after the tax incentive).

I noticed that you had a BMW i3 before. I can probably assume that you already have a home charger. Having a home charger makes having a BEV totally worth it. You already know that to "fill-up" a BEV is so much cheaper than a "fill-up" for an ICE vehicle. Plus, there is the 3-year free charging at EA stations across the nation.

My recommendation: Go for it! 🤙

·
42 Posts
I would never have purchased this car if I knew of all of its issues. Never. Ever.

I've tried to sell it after 4 days, but the best I can do is $35,000 on a $45,000 car. A 10k loss for 4 days.

This is not to say that there aren't some great things about the car, or that it is all bad. It's just that I don't have the time or patience for the glitches. I expect things I buy to work properly. The ID.4 does not.
By the way it would be my second id4. Also i came from Tesla 3. Very nice and quiet car

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,183 Posts
As a driving vehicle I remain enamored. The RWD has adequate power for my needs, actually better than adequate around town maneuvering thanks to electric motor torque. The turning radius is remarkable. The all around view is excellent. The stowage capacity is ample and easy to access (many home center runs to date). I've grown to appreciate the 'B' mode regenerative braking, so much so that when I drive my wife's ICE vehicle I almost have to relearn 'normal' braking.

There was/is a learning curve given this "tablet controlled vehicle" with few hard buttons, but fairly adept now after a couple months. I find the voice activation quite good and often use it rather than hunting around the various screens.

The software gremlins are irritating, both vehicle & App code. There always seems to be a new one cropping up. But being software I remain confident that they will be resolved. After all, our cellphone OS and App's are constantly being updated. Just the way of the world these days.

Home charging has been relatively flawless (once early-on scheduled charging aborted), although sometimes unlocking the nozzle requires fob and other times not. 🤷‍♂️
EA DC fast charge has been good but needs improvement to bring it to gas station level reliability (gas station pumps can also have issues but far more rare).

So, to address your thread subject: Yes, I would still buy it and rate it 7/10 (higher as a driving vehicle; lower regarding software systems integration).

btw: As you might expect the responses run the gamut from positive to negative, as always with any vehicle (and especially the black hole of 'net forums). So in the end you're going to have to make up your own mind and not be swayed by others. ;)

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
128 Posts

Any electric car that qualifies for the federal tax credit is going to lose $7500 in value the second it is bought and therefore no longer qualifies for the credit for the next buyer. Add in typical new car instant depreciation and $35k for your $45k ID.4 sounds pretty normal to me. If you can take the full $7.5k tax credit, you would "only" be out $2.5k if you really wanted to sell the car right now. That's nothing to sneeze at of course, but everyone knows you lose value on any new car and this is no different.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
393 Posts
would buy again without hesitation, I have luckily had no issues in 2700 miles in the first month. And 9/10 on the car as long as you keep it in perspective as to what it is.

·
317 Posts
Yes, I would buy the ID4 again. I never rate anything a 10. To that is perfection and nothing is perfection, not even my spouse. I would rate it about an 8, because I feel like the present buyers of the ID4 are acting as VW's R&D department. Sort of like the early users of Windows OS! I feel that the charging system with EA is the biggest bug with the ID4. That said though, EA customer support is top notch. I have had my ID4 for seven weeks and put 3500 miles on it and feel like it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. There is a learning curve because the ID4 is unlike any vehicle I have owned. Go to this Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8OSEy0q-LfdAWC6biT4PPD0Nzpgt8fcw. It is very informative.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
69 Posts
I would definitely buy it again. It is just as comfortable as my previous car, but saves me a lot on fuel since I drive 80+ miles every day. I also really appreciate the instant torque when needing to merge into an exit ramp, enter a highway, or just generally need to pass a slow vehicle. It is not a racer, but I don't care about that as I am not young anymore. I mainly got it for the ride comfort and fuel savings (plus no emissions of course). On the rating scale I would give it a 7.5 due to the poor quality of the infotainment and app. My kids also love the car and prefer to ride in it than my wife's, which used to be the opposite, so there is that too.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
194 Posts
Answers to this question will be hot/cold. It seems like some folks have had substantial problems with their VW (having to have it towed to the dealer on day 3, etc). Telling them that it's just a early model car doesn't really solve their problems and they are completely reasonable to say that they regret it and give the car a 1 or 2 out of 10.

Other folks have had no major issues besides "the infotainment is slow" and a couple of annoying but hardly showstopper bugs. The vast majority of these folks would probably give the car high marks, since they are substantially getting what they bought (knowing they are early adopting an EV, yada yada).

Really what it comes down to is your tolerance for the risk that your car will be in bucket #1 vs bucket #2. The risk isn't 0. It might be what...10%? 5%? 20%? Unknown.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
621 Posts
Yes, definitely, 2 months in. My wife is the primary driver, and she's a strong Yes also.

Rating? Strong 8. The glitches have been minor and we do have high expectations for their resolution, but every other aspect of thus vehicle has been positive: comfort, quietness, range, driving dynamics.

I also own an i3; she's coming out of a Volvo S60.

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
87 Posts
Would I buy this again? Yes I would. Agree with the STRONG-8 rating on an 10-point scale. When and if we get a "fix" for some of my issues, then I'd raise that to a 9... and add like others, "nothing's a 10". All in... many of my issues also relate to "hasn't bought a new car in a long time" or dealt with newer car tech. There are two transition in my case: 1) to an EV and 2) to a new car - and that's a bit more of a transition than anticipated. And yet mostly behind me.... and now I'm beginning to be more fair in separating user-issues from car-issues. Maybe... but at least I'm trying to do that.

Caveats: Most of my complaints are hard to lodge against the car per se and more likely attributable to an early, first year release. Software fixable stuff I'm optimistic will actually get fixed. Chief among these are the glitchy connection between the car and my iphone music apps.... very inconsistent until I finally told it to "forget this network" (the 2nd or 3rd time) and "agreed" to connect the phone ONLY with the USB-C. I'm looking for better iPhone apps to help the experience and curious about this.

While self-driving would be a nice-to-have option, I wouldn't have bought it on purchase. I opted for RWD over AWD on the basis of my range fears and not wanting to wait and pay more for a loss of range. Yet this latter is again a "First Release" issue and would have been easier to evaluate the trade-off down the road. So that's on me.

As to thatbrian's objection... not only is the $7,500 credit an issue, but let's face it, the old adage that cars depreciate 50% when you drive the puppy off the lot holds as well. As a seller, we offer a buyer very, very, very few of the purchaser's protections available when you buy from a dealer. What did he think was going to happen? Impulse Buys match the old adage: "Marry in haste: Repent at leisure."

All in, this is a comfortable car. Climate control is good. Music system is a bit weak on the bass as many have noted, but the general driver control and visibility is excellent. Passenger and driver comfort front and rear is very good. And the car fulfills its purpose of spreading the EV gospel.

·
116 Posts
I drove all the EVs out there, and at this moment in time I think the ID.4 Pro best suits my needs. I even prefer it to the Mach e and Model Y which cost more. All trims come standard with automatic emergency braking, and ID.4 did very well in EuroNCAP crash testing. Another safety feature, it has the best outside mirrors I have ever seen in a car. It has a driver's screen right in front of driver (think safety over the distraction of a center screen off to the side), unlike most Tesla products.
It also has enough ground clearance which can't be said for most other EVs.
ID.4 has a pretty good ride on most surfaces and the radio isn't drowned out by wind and tire noise like in a Bolt LT. Another plus, the rear hatch goes up high so that I can't hit my head on it (unlike the Bolt where I get clobbered).
I only drive in B mode, but to me, the main deficiency is weak regenerative braking and too much creep. (I consider one pedal driving to be a safety feature, a big plus for the Bolt). Software updates should improve the car over time. I give ID.4 at least an 8.5 as the car makes sense and doesn't go off on any wild tangents.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
69 Posts
Would I buy this again? Yes I would. Agree with the STRONG-8 rating on an 10-point scale. When and if we get a "fix" for some of my issues, then I'd raise that to a 9... and add like others, "nothing's a 10". All in... many of my issues also relate to "hasn't bought a new car in a long time" or dealt with newer car tech. There are two transition in my case: 1) to an EV and 2) to a new car - and that's a bit more of a transition than anticipated. And yet mostly behind me.... and now I'm beginning to be more fair in separating user-issues from car-issues. Maybe... but at least I'm trying to do that.

Caveats: Most of my complaints are hard to lodge against the car per se and more likely attributable to an early, first year release. Software fixable stuff I'm optimistic will actually get fixed. Chief among these are the glitchy connection between the car and my iphone music apps.... very inconsistent until I finally told it to "forget this network" (the 2nd or 3rd time) and "agreed" to connect the phone ONLY with the USB-C. I'm looking for better iPhone apps to help the experience and curious about this.

While self-driving would be a nice-to-have option, I wouldn't have bought it on purchase. I opted for RWD over AWD on the basis of my range fears and not wanting to wait and pay more for a loss of range. Yet this latter is again a "First Release" issue and would have been easier to evaluate the trade-off down the road. So that's on me.

As to thatbrian's objection... not only is the $7,500 credit an issue, but let's face it, the old adage that cars depreciate 50% when you drive the puppy off the lot holds as well. As a seller, we offer a buyer very, very, very few of the purchaser's protections available when you buy from a dealer. What did he think was going to happen? Impulse Buys match the old adage: "Marry in haste: Repent at leisure."

All in, this is a comfortable car. Climate control is good. Music system is a bit weak on the bass as many have noted, but the general driver control and visibility is excellent. Passenger and driver comfort front and rear is very good. And the car fulfills its purpose of spreading the EV gospel.
Out of curiousity, how did you get carplay to work only with the USC-C cable? I would like to get mine working that way as I listen to audible and it constantly skips while playing due to the wireless connection. Even when I do plug it in, it still maintains the wireless connection and uses that, and just treats the wire as charging only in that case.

·
Waiting for ID.4 Pro S
36 Posts
Yes I would buy again and give it a 9. Had Honda Accord hybrid before. The VW is superior to the Honda Accord and every car I have owned ( in am 65). No issues except at times slow info system. Would like more items and easier access on the carnet app and info system, is the reason for a 9 instead of a 10.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
103 Posts
Yup, I would get it again, I would put it at an 8/9 out of 10.

Other folks have had no major issues besides "the infotainment is slow" and a couple of annoying but hardly showstopper bugs.
Pretty much my situation and I would be hard pressed to say "the infotainment is slow" (maybe it is just how I am using it 🤷‍♂️). I won't give it perfect due to some design annoyances (button backlight, heat induced rear light gap). It's not uncommon for any manufacturer to have some issues when an existing model is refreshed, so to me a completely new model having some teething issues wasn't unexpected.

Reactions: IsID4Me?

·
30 Posts
I test drove Mach E, Model Y and ID4 and still would pick ID4 as it fits our needs and price range.

The car part is great, the drive and the ride is great. Infosys is doable though annoys me more on some days than others. I came from a 2014 CRV with no electronics do anything is an upgrade.

My one hesitation right now is range, not fully realizing how much headwind would impact the range and ID4 is on the lower end.

Would I change my mind if Model Y drops 10k in price or get tax incentive, or if Ioniq 5 is out today? Maybe

I do think it's important to test drive the car in person. EV are like smart phones in it's earlier days. If you can wait and willing to wait, there's always something newer and better on the horizon.

·
43 Posts
Yes I would buy again and give it a 9. Had Honda Accord hybrid before. The VW is superior to the Honda Accord and every car I have owned ( in am 65). No issues except at times slow info system. Would like more items and easier access on the carnet app and info system, is the reason for a 9 instead of a 10.
Also coming from an Accord Hybrid. No regrets on the ID.4. Most of the bugs others have run into I've either not experienced or don't apply (I don't need scheduled charging for instance). I'm still amazed at how quiet and smooth the ride is, and the travel assist features are just cool and seem to work remarkably well. Far more options for cargo carrying, my Accord didn't even have fold-down rear seats.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts