Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
82 Posts
Any electric car that qualifies for the federal tax credit is going to lose $7500 in value the second it is bought and therefore no longer qualifies for the credit for the next buyer. Add in typical new car instant depreciation and $35k for your $45k ID.4 sounds pretty normal to me. If you can take the full $7.5k tax credit, you would "only" be out $2.5k if you really wanted to sell the car right now. That's nothing to sneeze at of course, but everyone knows you lose value on any new car and this is no different.
Says the guy who started off this way. Dude, you have some nerve trying to double-dip and then be disappointed that a rash decision turns sour. I don't often criticize people, but this rubs me the wrong way.
"Rash"? I don't have a FE. That might have been rash.

"Double dip"? I had a plan to buy 2 car within about 6-12 months. My only mistake was not figuring how little the RWD would be worth in such short order.

The car is a mess. It should have never been released. One needs no more evidence than 5 minutes spent on these forums, so rather than criticize me for buying one and losing 10k in a week, aim your guns at VW. Or, would that remind you that you've made the same poor decision I have?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
Alright now. You've said your peace [enough already]. As fellow automotive enthusiasts we're dismayed the ID.4 didn't meet your needs/desires/expectations.

Hopefully your next vehicle will be far better for you.

Time to gracefully exit stage right. Bon Voyage.

"Double dip"? I had a plan to buy 2 car within about 6-12 months. My only mistake was not figuring how little the RWD would be worth in such short order.

The car is a mess. It should have never been released. One needs no more evidence than 5 minutes spent on these forums, so rather than criticize me for buying one and losing 10k in a week, aim your guns at VW. Or, would that remind you that you've made the same poor decision I have?

·
82 Posts
Alright now. You've said your peace [enough already]. As fellow automotive enthusiasts we're dismayed the ID.4 didn't meet your needs/desires/expectations.

Hopefully your next vehicle will be far better for you.

Time to gracefully exit stage right. Bon Voyage.
No.

I still own the car, so I'm here to read about other peoples' experiences, and share mine.

Isn't that what this forum is for, or is it for fanboys only?

The very reason for this thread: If you could go back in time, would you still get an ID4? On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate your ID4 is to get feedback regarding real world experience with this car. That's helpful to us all.

Information is power. Censorship is for those who fear truth.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
You are more than welcome to express your opinion, especially as you put your money where your mouth is and bought one. But ad nauseam is just that.

TPG has also had numerous issues but handles his discussion imho in a more fair & balanced manner.

I too have expressed vehicle shortcomings, as has fellow Mod Spin, so certainly not "fan boys."

btw: I bought my wife a Caddy ATS when first released, after many years of her Lexus ownership, just for a change. On paper, including car of the year in its category, it should have been sublime. But she/we had a steady diet of recalls so moved on far earlier then planned and took far more of a loss in doing so. It's never pleasant but it happens.

No.

I still own the car, so I'm here to read about other peoples' experiences, and share mine.

Isn't that what this forum is for, or is it for fanboys only?

The very reason for this thread: If you could go back in time, would you still get an ID4? On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate your ID4 is to get feedback regarding real world experience with this car. That's helpful to us all.

Information is power. Censorship is for those who fear truth.

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts

It sounds to me like your more upset about losing money while trying to sell a new car you just bought. Everyone knows you will lose money trying to sell a brand new car. That was just a bad plan. Everyone who reads this forum knows that some of us have had issues with this car. I have had my share but they all seem to fix themselves overnight. The most serious was losing the speedometer for 300 miles of a 450-mile trip. Some of our members have had issues and posted them on the forum for all to see, well before you developed your "plan". If you had done some research while developing this plan you might have not found yourself in the situation you are in now. I am not sorry I purchased this car because I fully expect the issues I have encountered to be addressed in OTA updates. Good luck with whatever decision you make as far as keeping or selling your car.

·
82 Posts
You are more than welcome to express your opinion, especially as you put your money where your mouth is and bought one. But ad nauseam is just that.

TPG has also had numerous issues but handles his discussion imho in a more fair & balanced manner.

I too have expressed vehicle shortcomings, as has fellow Mod Spin, so certainly not "fan boys."
Firstly, please link to my post(s) which were not fair.

Secondly, if I'm stuck in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity at a charging station and the charger is locked to the car, my follow up post probably won't be "balanced". I won't be sharing how much fun the car is to drive, even if that were the case. I'll be talking about the problem and finding how to avoid it in the future.

Thirdly, when my wife has a problem with charging the car — every single time— I have to deal with that, and take the flack for my decision to buy this car for her.

I have said a few good things about the car, if you would car to go and look, but with my experience so far, the bad outweighs the good; therefore my posts reflect that reality.

Trust me, I wish I did like the car. I wouldn't be out of pocket $$$$$ if I did.

Don't fear. I'll be gone soon. I've purchased a BMW X3, but can't complete the deal until DMV records the VW title info.
It sounds to me like your more upset about losing money while trying to sell a new car you just bought. Everyone knows you will lose money trying to sell a brand new car. That was just a bad plan. Everyone who reads this forum knows that some of us have had issues with this car. I have had my share but they all seem to fix themselves overnight. The most serious was losing the speedometer for 300 miles of a 450-mile trip. Some of our members have had issues and posted them on the forum for all to see, well before you developed your "plan". If you had done some research while developing this plan you might have not found yourself in the situation you are in now. I am not sorry I purchased this car because I fully expect the issues I have encountered to be addressed in OTA updates. Good luck with whatever decision you make as far as keeping or selling your car.
I'm upset that the car has so many problems. Losing money just adds insult to injury. I had planned to keep the RWD until the AWD version comes to market. I expected that loss, but not this loss, because I didn't intend to sell it in a week.

Yes. Maybe I should have don'e more reading on this forum before I purchased the car, but I've owned about 20 new cars as well as 8 cargo vans, and haven't had the amount of issues combined that I've had with the ID.4.

In other words, I didn't expect a company would put a vehicle this untested out onto the street.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
Oh yes, I well understand, which is why we early dumped my wife's Caddy ATS. It's a little like buying your wife a dozen roses but then having them die the next day. Somehow it's your fault. 😔

EA charging in particular must get far more reliable or this whole thing is going to go sour as a road trip vehicle.

Again, dismayed that your ID.4 experience has been far more negative than positive.

All the best with the Bimmer !! (y)

Firstly, what have I said that is unfair?

Secondly, if I'm stuck in 95 degree heat with 90% humidity at a charging station and the charger is locked to the car, my follow up post probably won't be "balanced". I won't be sharing how much fun the car was to drive that day, even if that were the case. I'll be talking about the problem and finding how to avoid it in the future.

Thirdly, when my wife has a problem with charging the car — every single time— I have to deal with that, and take the flack for my decision to buy this car for her. She's upset, so I'm upset. If you're married, you understand.

I have said a few good things about the car here, but with my experience so far, the bad outweighs the good; therefore my posts reflect that reality.

Trust me, I wish I did like the car. I wouldn't be out of pocket $$$$$ if I did.

I'll be gone from this forum soon. I've purchased a BMW, but can't complete the deal until DMV records the VW title info.

·
4 Posts
Definite "YES" to buy again! 9/10 (2021 Pro S)

The ID.4 has been a dream car to drive so far, comfortable, spacious, easy on the eyes, and love the Apple CarPlay! Still in the first 30 days and under 400 miles. My only issue was losing the infotainment after a car wash, but a simple power restart brought the screen back, and it didn't affect the driving. It didn't happen on subsequent washes.

I don't commute (work at home) and have two free ChargePoint locations within 10 minutes of home where I get about 25 miles an hour while I have lunch or grocery shop. I haven't tried ElectrifyAmerica yet since it's 11 miles away. LOL I love driving for free with my first EV!

My suggestion for anyone buying an ID.4 would be that you need to be comfortable with 21st century tech to drive this 21st century vehicle. We are in the early innings of EV's for everyone, like the early cell phone years...

·
White Pro S
183 Posts
Yes I would buy again and give it a 9. Had Honda Accord hybrid before. The VW is superior to the Honda Accord and every car I have owned ( in am 65). No issues except at times slow info system. Would like more items and easier access on the carnet app and info system, is the reason for a 9 instead of a 10.
Turn off the "hello id" function and you won't believe how much faster it is. I've forgotten that it was so slow before.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
217 Posts
Turn off the "hello id" function and you won't believe how much faster it is. I've forgotten that it was so slow before.
Also wifi searching and I removed the Nav widget (since we use our phones exclusively for nav). Hard to say which sped up the infotainment the most but I felt like they all had an effect.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Pressing the "talk" button on right side of the steering wheel eliminates the "Hello ID". If you have Car Play a long press gives you access to Siri and her ability to please you.

My wife pointed about that all through our 53 year marriage I have repeatedly said "Never buy a vehicle in its first year of production", Close to being true with the many beta functions of our ID.4. I love the car and keep telling her that the BIG OTA software update will cure everything even though it will not.

My other mantra was "never buy a Chrysler product". The second choice after the ID.4 was a Pacifica Pinnacle plug in hybrid. So I have either lost my mind or have "evolved" over the past 53 years. Now if I could only remember where I left my pants.......

·
34 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm strongly considering an ID4 and I'm about 95% of the way there. Could you help me by answering two basic questions:

-- As the ID4 stands today, if you could go back in time would you still get the ID4? Yes/No/Maybe.

-- Can you rate how you feel about your ID4 on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'll give you an example from my personal experience. My prior car was a leased BMW i3. If I went back in time, Yes I would do it again. No regrets on leasing it. I'd rate it somewhere around an 8.5. The back seat was basically unusable for me so that and other things don't get it closer to a 10 rating for me. I am looking to lease something different this time.

I've read a bunch of different posts here about both positives and issues with the ID4. Read or skimmed through all 24 pages of this post about things people would like to change:
To VW: Changes we would like to see in the ID.4.
Despite most of the things you'd like to change, I think most of you are happy with the ID4. Is that right?

Thanks in advance and all responses are appreciated.
-- Still Yes.

-- A 9. (-1 for a couple subjective things. But I think for most people there's no reason why it wouldn't check every box.)

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
107 Posts
Another 1000 miles in, almost at 4000. Great car, would definitely buy again. A few quirks, but nothing that hasn’t been easily addressed. Cars are more computers these days and a lot of the issues I see are no different than anyone who experiences new technology. There are those that can deal with it and those that a less apt to. That said, I have yet to see the perfect car (or anything) where everyone is 100% satisfied with it.

For those that are having serious issues, after user-error (or intolerance) is accounted for, I’d suggest returning to the dealer - perhaps your car is in need of some fixes outside of the majority. Remember, Internet forums are more likely to majoritivly focus on the negative than the positive. There are likely many more happy customers who don’t even bother on the Internet forums.

That being said, legitimate issues/concerns/recommendations should always be expressed. Why not? Forums are invaluable for those that choose to use them. Because there are all types of forum posters, just like in life, sometimes one has to filter the noise and remember that in the end, it‘s not personal - until it is. 😉

·
14 Posts
Read the following with the caveat that I've only owned the car for a week and a half, although that time has included an 800 mile road trip.

1. Yes, without hesitation - love the car.
2. I haven't run into any non-known issues and would give the car a 9/10 today. It basically addresses everything that could have been better about our Bolt EV, while giving up nothing except a bit of 0-60 time. In no particular order:

• more room for cargo
  • backseat room (although the bolt is quite good, especially for its size)
  • wireless CarPlay (it's realllly nice to me not to have to fiddle with a cable every time I get in and out of the car)
  • fast charging speeds. On my road trip the car was almost always ready to go to the next stop before I was...
  • seat comfort
  • ride comfort

·
22 Posts
I would definitely get again and I would rate 8.5/10. LOVE lots of things about the car. Just went on a 500 mile road trip Virginia to Cape Cod with an overnight stop (where I did NOT charge because it was at my brother's house) and was really happy with EA chargers the whole way--if you do everything in a certain order, it works every time. Although the Connecticut to Cape Cod route needs more EA chargers!! I used my granny charger at my mom's house on Cape Cod and kept it plugged in 24/7 since there are ZERO EA chargers there. That worked well because we did not travel much and didn't go far when we did. Now that I've proved to my husband we can use it for road trips, I'm ready to get rid of my Toyota Corolla. Although, I would REALLY like to be able to control the fan speed without going to the screen and still not a fan of the two window toggles for four windows.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
127 Posts
Like many others, I am at a solid 8/10 on the ID.4 and would probably buy it again. We have over 3000 miles with the car and have had no major problems, but there are annoyances:
  • It takes a very long time for the infotainment to boot up when you start a trip, and once you're driving you can no longer enter a destination in the Navigation, even if you have a passenger in the front seat who could enter it for you.
  • I really like the navigation once it's running, but it is useless for searching for a destination. And it is worse than useless if if you leave the setting on to automatically add charging stops along the route.
  • The temperature and volume sliders are not lit up at night.
  • There is no Auto Hold feature (yet). This is my wife's biggest gripe with the car.
  • For some reason, the temperature units change back to Celsius about once per week. What makes it do this??
Some initial annoyances that we have worked out:
  • If you touch the door lock sensor it also disables unlocking the car for a few seconds. My wife could not reliably open the car at first, but has figured it out now. Our first solution was to turn on the proximity unlock feature. This worked great, but every time we walked past the car it flashed it's lights and unlocked, which got even more annoying.
  • We had trouble disconnecting the charger plug at first. From this forum I learned how to do it reliably by fishing out my key and pressing unlock twice, but that was a pain. I found the charger cable unlock settings confusingly named, but now have it set to "permanent" which works for us.
  • Turning on the seat heaters is a pain. But, we found the setting that turns them on automatically when it is chilly, which works great. And, there is the shortcut to tap the temperature slider with two fingers to turn them on. It's odd, but I can live with that.
  • The foot sensor to automatically open and close the hatch takes practice to get working. A big part of the problem is that the trailer hitch is in the way of the sensor, but once we looked under the car and saw how the sensor was placed (and learned that you must then step well back or away from the car) I can use it reliably.
There are also many things that are great about the car:
  • It is quiet, spacious, and drives very smoothly.
  • It has decent range, and a much better range estimate than our previous Leaf+
  • DC fast charging is (usually) as fast or faster than advertised. The slowest we've seen is still better than we ever got with our Leaf+, and is maintained to a much higher state of charge. The Leaf+ is advertised as having 100kW fast charging, but I don't believe anyone has ever seen greater than 75kW, and 65kW is more typical (if you can even find a charger that dispenses more than 50kW). Also, the thermal management of the ID.4 is about the best of any EV.
  • ... and many more.

·
50 Posts
My wife pointed about that all through our 53 year marriage
Between this, and doing a little math to estimate your (likely) minimum age, your post is probably the most impressive thing I've seen in the form. Congrats on 53 years, and on still being inquisitive!

·
50 Posts
  • backseat room (although the bolt is quite good, especially for its size)
  • wireless CarPlay (it's realllly nice to me not to have to fiddle with a cable every time I get in and out of the car)
The interior space seriously boggled my mind. There's significant more leg room than in my xc60. My wife and I now feel a little closed off in the XC60. We are currently visiting family and rented a 4Runner and feel the same in it after being in the ID.4 a lot. It also took me literally one turn in the 4Runner to truly realize how used to the awesome turning radius I've gotten in like two weeks.

Like many others, I am at a solid 8/10 on the ID.4 and would probably buy it again. We have over 3000 miles with the car and have had no major problems, but there are annoyances:
  • I really like the navigation once it's running, but it is useless for searching for a destination. And it is worse than useless if if you leave the setting on to automatically add charging stops along the route.
  • For some reason, the temperature units change back to Celsius about once per week. What makes it do this??
Some initial annoyances that we have worked out:

• Turning on the seat heaters is a pain. But, we found the setting that turns them on automatically when it is chilly, which works great. And, there is the shortcut to tap the temperature slider with two fingers to turn them on. It's odd, but I can live with that.
-I legitimately don't understand how you can't say "navigate to Target" to the car. Or "Navigate to San Francisco". No, sorry, I don't want to put in the house number. I want to go to Target. Well, I don't. My wife does. But you get the point.
- I've never had the temperature switch to Celsius... seems like a personal issue with your car ;)
-I find the steering wheel heater function more confusing. It seemingly is only available in the "conventional" climate settings...?

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
127 Posts
-I legitimately don't understand how you can't say "navigate to Target" to the car. Or "Navigate to San Francisco". No, sorry, I don't want to put in the house number. I want to go to Target. Well, I don't. My wife does. But you get the point.
- I've never had the temperature switch to Celsius... seems like a personal issue with your car ;)
-I find the steering wheel heater function more confusing. It seemingly is only available in the "conventional" climate settings...?
It is harder to turn on the heated steering wheel, but the setting to automatically turn on the heated seats also does the steering wheel and I have found that sufficient. I do wish there was a button for this on the actual steering wheel, but I can live with it as it is.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts