Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
50 Posts
It is harder to turn on the heated steering wheel, but the setting to automatically turn on the heated seats also does the steering wheel and I have found that sufficient. I do wish there was a button for this on the actual steering wheel, but I can live with it as it is.
I just think it's weird it doesn't pop-up with when you hit the driver side heated seat icon.

·
469 Posts
Like many others, I am at a solid 8/10 on the ID.4 and would probably buy it again. We have over 3000 miles with the car and have had no major problems, but there are annoyances:
  • It takes a very long time for the infotainment to boot up when you start a trip, and once you're driving you can no longer enter a destination in the Navigation, even if you have a passenger in the front seat who could enter it for you.
  • I really like the navigation once it's running, but it is useless for searching for a destination. And it is worse than useless if if you leave the setting on to automatically add charging stops along the route.
  • The temperature and volume sliders are not lit up at night.
  • There is no Auto Hold feature (yet). This is my wife's biggest gripe with the car.
  • For some reason, the temperature units change back to Celsius about once per week. What makes it do this??
Some initial annoyances that we have worked out:
  • If you touch the door lock sensor it also disables unlocking the car for a few seconds. My wife could not reliably open the car at first, but has figured it out now. Our first solution was to turn on the proximity unlock feature. This worked great, but every time we walked past the car it flashed it's lights and unlocked, which got even more annoying.
  • We had trouble disconnecting the charger plug at first. From this forum I learned how to do it reliably by fishing out my key and pressing unlock twice, but that was a pain. I found the charger cable unlock settings confusingly named, but now have it set to "permanent" which works for us.
  • Turning on the seat heaters is a pain. But, we found the setting that turns them on automatically when it is chilly, which works great. And, there is the shortcut to tap the temperature slider with two fingers to turn them on. It's odd, but I can live with that.
  • The foot sensor to automatically open and close the hatch takes practice to get working. A big part of the problem is that the trailer hitch is in the way of the sensor, but once we looked under the car and saw how the sensor was placed (and learned that you must then step well back or away from the car) I can use it reliably.
There are also many things that are great about the car:
  • It is quiet, spacious, and drives very smoothly.
  • It has decent range, and a much better range estimate than our previous Leaf+
  • DC fast charging is (usually) as fast or faster than advertised. The slowest we've seen is still better than we ever got with our Leaf+, and is maintained to a much higher state of charge. The Leaf+ is advertised as having 100kW fast charging, but I don't believe anyone has ever seen greater than 75kW, and 65kW is more typical (if you can even find a charger that dispenses more than 50kW). Also, the thermal management of the ID.4 is about the best of any EV.
  • ... and many more.
If you haven't unlocked your car, walking by will unlock the car but then walking away will re-lock the car after 20-30 secs.
Somebody had to tell me that. I use a hand bump over the handle arrow to lock the car and look back to verify the mirrors parked 😁.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
151 Posts
If you haven't unlocked your car, walking by will unlock the car but then walking away will re-lock the car after 20-30 secs.
Somebody had to tell me that. I use a hand bump over the handle arrow to lock the car and look back to verify the mirrors parked 😁.
Yea, the back of the hand works to lock the car every time for me. My Toyota Camry hybrid locks with a finger placement on the handle, but this was pretty spotty with the ID.4. The folding mirrors are immensely helpful lock indicators

·
11 Posts
I am a zero. My range, all city driving, is 160 miles. The technology needs to be updated. You can't use the radio controls on the steering wheel unless you press favorites on the console after each time you start it. The milage counter and mi/kwh aren't even close. In 40 years, tbis is the worst car ive ever owned. I hate the car.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
133 Posts
The thing is we are all so different. The things we think are important, our tastes, and our opinions on how something should be. I mean my personal opinions are:
- This is one of the best looking vehicles on the road. The only car I drove better looking was my '08 BMW M3 e93 Jerez black color. I have never liked VW looks, ever, until this car came out. This car is just sexy.
-The driving and handling for this size, weight, and shape is incredible. Germans know how a car should drive and optimize the vehicle for it
-For a base model; I have never seen so many features in a vehicle. It has all the safety features as all editions + luxury changeable lighting inside + the ID light bar + I don't know basically everything besides leather seats and a glass roof I don't want anyway.
  • The infotainment is just fine I don't understand what other people are talking about but sounds like the people at my work that just want to complain about things instead of learning to adjust. We can always find things to complain about.
  • Locking doors...I press the lock button or put my thumb on the handle, I hear click and lights blink which tells me the car is locked. I don't understand the obsession over ensuring it's locked. Reminds me of my neighbor that clicks lock on his keys 4-5 times and honks the horn 3-4 times everytime he goes or leaves the car like Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets. Personally I never keep anything in the car that I would worry about getting stolen because thieves can break into anything they want, if they want to and nothing you do would matter.

So my personal opinion; this car is the best car VW ever made and one of the best cars I have ever driven in my life next to the money and gas guzzler M3 I had that I would never buy again.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
217 Posts
I am a zero. My range, all city driving, is 160 miles. The technology needs to be updated. You can't use the radio controls on the steering wheel unless you press favorites on the console after each time you start it. The milage counter and mi/kwh aren't even close. In 40 years, tbis is the worst car ive ever owned. I hate the car.
You're getting 160 miles 0-100%? Or 20-80%? If it's the former there might be something wrong with your car. If it's the latter you're on target for ~260 miles 0-100% which seems appropriate.

·
82 Posts
Turn off the "hello id" function and you won't believe how much faster it is. I've forgotten that it was so slow before.
Do tell. Where is this setting?

Also, will it default to Apple Carplay when I press steering wheel button if I do that?

·
82 Posts
Also wifi searching and I removed the Nav widget (since we use our phones exclusively for nav). Hard to say which sped up the infotainment the most but I felt like they all had an effect.
What do you mean by "Wi-fi searching", and where is the setting to turn off wi-fi, if that is at all possible.

Thanks.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
133 Posts
Either your car has a major issue or you're doing something wrong. I get 340 miles in city and 250 on highway at 100% charge

·
82 Posts
Settings/Wi-Fi/Wi-Fi/Search for Wi-Fi
And
Voice control: settings/voice operation /active
Thanks.

I want Apple Carplay to automatically connect, but it looks like with wi-fi off it would have to be by the USB cable, wich is fine, if that's the only way it will work.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
133 Posts
Thanks.

I want Apple Carplay to automatically connect, but it looks like with wi-fi off it would have to be by the USB cable, wich is fine, if that's the only way it will work.
Nothing to do with WiFi. Your phone connect with Bluetooth. Wifi is for the car to get navigation, updates, etc.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
217 Posts
Thanks.

Turn off searching for wifi but leave ON infotainment as Hotspot. The latter is for wireless carplay.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
107 Posts
Nothing to do with WiFi. Your phone connect with Bluetooth. Wifi is for the car to get navigation, updates, etc.
CarPlay uses WiFi when not connected via cable - it initiates the connection via Bluetooth then moves all the other communication to WiFi, So it does have something to do with WiFi, when no it using the cable.

Agreed with the other post too - turn off WiFi searching but leave WiFi on and wireless CarPlay will still work fine.

·
11 Posts
Either your car has a major issue or you're doing something wrong. I get 340 miles in city and 250 on highway at 100% charge
Can you tell me the settings you use? Ive tried all eco to comfort and customized in-between. What about drive mode d / b. I come from a bolt ev and the one pedal driving was great, in this car it seemz to take more power to accelerate. What about climate settings? Im in south florida so i run the ac alot. Thanks for your help

61 - 80 of 96 Posts