Volkswagen ID Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
397 Posts
Can you tell me the settings you use? Ive tried all eco to comfort and customized in-between. What about drive mode d / b. I come from a bolt ev and the one pedal driving was great, in this car it seemz to take more power to accelerate. What about climate settings? Im in south florida so i run the ac alot. Thanks for your help
Well yes, it makes sense that it takes more power to accelerate the considerably heavier and larger ~4600 lbs of the ID.4 vs the ~3560 lbs of the Bolt.

But that's why the ID.4 battery is significantly bigger than the Bolt, it definitely sounds like something is wrong with your car if you only get 160 miles out of a full 100% charge...that would be equivalent to 2.07 mi/kWh, and I think most of us see more around 3+ mi/kWh, depending on city or highway miles.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
217 Posts
Can you tell me the settings you use? Ive tried all eco to comfort and customized in-between. What about drive mode d / b. I come from a bolt ev and the one pedal driving was great, in this car it seemz to take more power to accelerate. What about climate settings? Im in south florida so i run the ac alot. Thanks for your help
What is showing up as as miles/kwh on your infotainment? Screenshot all three maybe.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
133 Posts
I never use Eco mode. Mostly comfort and sometimes Sport. I use AC most of the time since I'm in Southeast also in Tennessee southeast border. I use B mode in everything except Interstate, where I use D mode with ACC on. I just take it easy on the pedal. Long term 3.6mi/kWh. I drove 4 passengers 150miles on interstate with 90+ degrees outside with AC on at 70 degrees and got 3.3miles/kWh. Drive to work and back is 15 miles on back roads at 35-55mph I average 4.8miles/kWh. What does your car say for miles/kWh? You can put that screen on as you drive to see how efficient you're driving and what and how things effect your efficiency

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
217 Posts
I never use Eco mode. Mostly comfort and sometimes Sport. I use AC most of the time since I'm in Southeast also in Tennessee southeast border. I use B mode in everything except Interstate, where I use D mode with ACC on. I just take it easy on the pedal. Long term 3.6mi/kWh. I drove 4 passengers 150miles on interstate with 90+ degrees outside with AC on at 70 degrees and got 3.3miles/kWh. Drive to work and back is 15 miles on back roads at 35-55mph I average 4.8miles/kWh. What does your car say for miles/kWh? You can put that screen on as you drive to see how efficient you're driving and what and how things effect your efficiency
We've done almost 1000 miles with at least half of that highway miles at 75mph. I have 3.0/3.1 mi/kWh long term. Although I realized today I might have had the windshield heater on 🤷‍♂️.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
133 Posts
Probably +70mph kills your range. I try to drive at max 70mph and hardly ever go over that. Also; I always close the AC vents not being used. So if it is just me driving, I have only 2 vents on and 4 vents closed...etc.

·
39 Posts
In my opinion, I give the ID.4 a 10 for concept and an 8.5 for execution. Its my first EV and it drives beautifully. The fit and trim, paint and seats are terrific. Some of the glitches I came across are things that should have been worked out before released for sale, but overall I’m enjoying the experience. Keep in mind new EV drivers are at the forefront of a revolution in transportation. There are plenty of issues to smooth out regardless of brand. Basically it’s the equivalent of going from horses to ICE vehicles at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Yes, I would buy the ID.4 again - same model - same color.

·
ID.4 1st blue
120 Posts
-- As the ID4 stands today, if you could go back in time would you still get the ID4? Yes/No/Maybe.

-- Can you rate how you feel about your ID4 on a scale of 1 to 10?
I'm a definite yes

And I'll rate the car a 9 of 10. This is by far the best car I've ever own AND it's a great EV. Are there things that bug me? Sure. Almost all of them can and should be fixed by updates and those that can't are minor. I can't imagine a car (or at least a car I can afford) that would be 100% perfect.

·
8 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm strongly considering an ID4 and I'm about 95% of the way there. Could you help me by answering two basic questions:

-- As the ID4 stands today, if you could go back in time would you still get the ID4? Yes/No/Maybe.

-- Can you rate how you feel about your ID4 on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'll give you an example from my personal experience. My prior car was a leased BMW i3. If I went back in time, Yes I would do it again. No regrets on leasing it. I'd rate it somewhere around an 8.5. The back seat was basically unusable for me so that and other things don't get it closer to a 10 rating for me. I am looking to lease something different this time.

I've read a bunch of different posts here about both positives and issues with the ID4. Read or skimmed through all 24 pages of this post about things people would like to change:
To VW: Changes we would like to see in the ID.4.
Despite most of the things you'd like to change, I think most of you are happy with the ID4. Is that right?

Thanks in advance and all responses are appreciated.
I love the ID.4 and have no regrets whatsoever! 10

·
122 Posts
After a couple of months and approaching three thousand miles, I've got enough experience to chime in. I'm going to rate two different cars here. The current model which I own, a 2021 ID.4, with software version 0792; and the ID.4 with some badly needed updates which I think will probably come over the next 2-5 years. Keep in mind that for me, to approach a 10 out of 10 is darn near impossible due to the necessary engineering and design choices that will always have to be made. The best car I've ever owned (2018 Accord Hybrid) would only get a strong 8 and I loved that car.

Current product: I'll rate this a 3, maybe a 4. I wouldn't buy it again, and I can't recommend it to anyone to buy unless they like being on the far bleeding edge. I don't mind being on the bleeding edge, but this isn't even a beta product. It's an alpha. It's just not ready. Some design decisions are not just irritating, but actively unsafe. Some of the software issues are egregious, and some are unsafe. Don't get me wrong here. The parts that are good are really, really good. I love having an electric car and not knowing or caring what the price of gas is. The seating is very comfortable. The room is amazing for the size of the vehicle. Being able to start the AC 15 minutes before I get to the car on a hot day is priceless...when it works.

I actively consider, on a daily basis, whether or not I'm going to keep it or try to flip it and get something else. Unfortunately for me, having an electric car is just way too nice. I can't see going back to ICE and that's limiting to say the least. At the end of the day, this current car that I own, even with huge software improvements, will never be more than a 5 out of 10 for me unless VW pulls a rabbit out of the proverbial hat and it could bump up to a 6. That would likely take hardware improvements though - and I doubt that will happen.

The ID.4's potential with some updates: I'd guess it'll be between a 6 and 8 when it's all done, depending on the refinements that get made. I'm guessing some of the hardware choices (piano black, capacitive buttons, other buttons, processor speed, and the like) will take longer to get changed. There is so much potential here. I really do think this will be the next VW Beetle; it's that strong of a product.

So, when I get asked about my current car, that's the recommendation: I mostly like driving it, but don't get this one. Not yet.

·
11 Posts
I'd like to add that after a month, I'm really glad to have entered the EV world through this car. The value received and the entry into EV is worth every penny. It's not THE perfect car, but part of my rationale is that 1) you have to be in the game to learn and "know" what is the car that will do the trick, and 2) by getting into the game now and at a solid value, you have a better basis from which to evaluate the importance of different features should you later (post 3-yr lease) decide to step into a different car - possibly even paying up for features at that time.

When I started, I didn't expect to use one-pedal driving. Frankly I thought it was weird and didn't want to go there. Now of course it is my default and when I accidentally find myself in "D"... I can't get into "B" fast enough. So from this perspective, the car accomplishes exactly what I wanted it to do... and I guess I'm fitting VW's publicly avowed purpose for the car. I wouldn't have bought a RAV4 or a Honda CRV.... as I usually prefer something upscale from that. But this gets the job done. No flash. And I like that.
Now That you mention this I am experimenting on driving on D and at the time i.e. braking at a turn I reach and turn it to B for braking and then accelerate on departure at D again, I don't know if I am making this clear. It is like shifting gears on a manual ICE car, it is making driving more fun, my question is am I risking the transition this way?

·
14 Posts
I'd probably skip it at this point. We put just over 4K miles on ours, but when my wife went to go home from work it had an electrical system failure and had to be towed. The fit and finish and the materials are great, but I honestly hate the touch controls, the infotainment / navigation is half baked in my opinion, and now with the vehicle being dead in the water after one payment... Yeah, no. Side note: I'm still not even sure how to put the vehicle in tow mode; I had to sit on the seat to get the thing in neutral while it was being dragged onto the flatbed.

·
ID.4 FE GW
385 Posts
I'd probably skip it at this point. We put just over 4K miles on ours, but when my wife went to go home from work it had an electrical system failure and had to be towed. The fit and finish and the materials are great, but I honestly hate the touch controls, the infotainment / navigation is half baked in my opinion, and now with the vehicle being dead in the water after one payment... Yeah, no. Side note: I'm still not even sure how to put the vehicle in tow mode; I had to sit on the seat to get the thing in neutral while it was being dragged onto the flatbed.
Ours also died when my wife was driving it home from work when it had about 700 mi on it. I was pleased that the dealer quickly diagnosed the problem, the needed part (shifter assembly) arrived in reasonable time, and the car has been driving OK without faults since then. I hope that yours is resolved smoothly too.

·
ID.4 FE GW
385 Posts
After a couple of months and approaching three thousand miles, I've got enough experience to chime in. I'm going to rate two different cars here. The current model which I own, a 2021 ID.4, with software version 0792; and the ID.4 with some badly needed updates which I think will probably come over the next 2-5 years. Keep in mind that for me, to approach a 10 out of 10 is darn near impossible due to the necessary engineering and design choices that will always have to be made. The best car I've ever owned (2018 Accord Hybrid) would only get a strong 8 and I loved that car.

Current product: I'll rate this a 3, maybe a 4. I wouldn't buy it again, and I can't recommend it to anyone to buy unless they like being on the far bleeding edge. I don't mind being on the bleeding edge, but this isn't even a beta product. It's an alpha. It's just not ready. Some design decisions are not just irritating, but actively unsafe. Some of the software issues are egregious, and some are unsafe. Don't get me wrong here. The parts that are good are really, really good. I love having an electric car and not knowing or caring what the price of gas is. The seating is very comfortable. The room is amazing for the size of the vehicle. Being able to start the AC 15 minutes before I get to the car on a hot day is priceless...when it works.

I actively consider, on a daily basis, whether or not I'm going to keep it or try to flip it and get something else. Unfortunately for me, having an electric car is just way too nice. I can't see going back to ICE and that's limiting to say the least. At the end of the day, this current car that I own, even with huge software improvements, will never be more than a 5 out of 10 for me unless VW pulls a rabbit out of the proverbial hat and it could bump up to a 6. That would likely take hardware improvements though - and I doubt that will happen.

The ID.4's potential with some updates: I'd guess it'll be between a 6 and 8 when it's all done, depending on the refinements that get made. I'm guessing some of the hardware choices (piano black, capacitive buttons, other buttons, processor speed, and the like) will take longer to get changed. There is so much potential here. I really do think this will be the next VW Beetle; it's that strong of a product.

So, when I get asked about my current car, that's the recommendation: I mostly like driving it, but don't get this one. Not yet.
This is well said and very much in line with my perspective and rating as well.

·
18 Posts
I'd downgrade ID.4 from 8/10 (first couple of weeks rating) to 7/10 now. It drives great, and very roomy. Infotainment bugs/lags are annoying but can live with.
But few things off late are potentially unsafe -

1. Few times I could not change from Neutral (N) to Drive - I was on car wash conveyor belt and there was a car right behind coming at me as i was trying to roll off the belt.
2. Reversing - it would not release the parking brake (anti-roll feature?) in R mode. Pressed accelerator then the car shrieked (or was it some bang sound?) and jumped rearwards. This freaked out my daughter sitting next to me.
3. Door opening is annoying, has to press slightly outward to open it reliably.

Overall I'd still buy but am slightly less impressed now than I was in the beginning.

·
97 Posts
I've had my FE for almost 2 months, and 2200 miles. I'd give this car a strong 7. It is the most fun driving car I've had since my 2007 Maxima. Mechanically it is beyond expectation. I hope they get the software bugs fixed soon, but they have only been mildly annoying so far for me. If that happens, I would go to an 8. To go any higher would require a more robust fast charging network. I haven't been on a long trip yet, but it's more complicated than stopping at a gas station on nearly every highway exit.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
144 Posts
I would rate 8 of 10. Build and performance has been really nice. VW needs to address basic software gaps and put a high priority for random faults other people are seeing. I have a ID.4 Pro S built in late March 2021 with 2400 miles so far. Only issue has been a sun shade replacement that went smoothly. No faults or software bugs to date.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts