Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first and last visit to Kearny Mesa Volkswagen. I arrived at 7am for the 10K service on my wife's ID4. The service advisor Emily told me my car was ready in just under 2 hours. She handed me my key and 1 sheet of paper that had 3 items listed. 10,000 mile factory required OCM default. Tire pressure check. Multi point inspection MPI default. She then told me where my car was and we said goodbye. I get home and I found an email from the dealership. Apparently while I was sitting in the waiting room the dealership emailed me 10 minutes before I left.
YOUR APPROVAL IS NEEDED
Dear xxx xxx,
During our Multi-Point Inspection, the technician found additional services your vehicle may require. Please take a moment to view your full inspection report and notes regarding the service recommendations.

Next email that was sent 10 minutes later

You have a detailed report about the condition of your vehicle.

Additional Service Recommendations
Service Name Failing Items, Declined Price
Tires - 2: MOUNT AND BALANCE 2 FRONT TIRES 235/55R19 $590.00

I've never experienced anything like it from car dealership before. Is this common for Volkswagen or did my service advisor just screw up?

127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did you call and ask the service advisor?
Left a voicemail, guy that called me back was a dick and didn't like what I was insinuating. I ended the call before I said anything I might regret. I get the feeling they just didn't want to have a conversation about replacing tires on my 6 month old vehicle with 10,000 miles.

127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm confused, was your credit card charged? I don't really understand why you are so upset about this, couldn't it be a misunderstanding?
No I wasn't charged because I was never informed of any issue while I was sitting waiting at the dealership. It just seemed suspicious, but then again I've never dealt with VW service so perhaps this is how they act?

2021 Pro AWD
493 Posts
Well since they didn't verbally tell you anything is wrong with your tires or try to sell you tires, and your tires look and ride fine, I think the most likely explanation would be a mistake, and not suspicious activity.

10 Posts
I have taken my car there a few times for some issues that I had with it and I was pleased with my experience. Emily was my advisor and she was nice and courteous.

Last weekend on my A/C stopped working out of the blue. Since I had a good experience with Kearny Mesa VW they were the first dealer I called and tried to schedule an appointment. The advisor said that I could bring my car in but would probably need it for a few days to troubleshoot it. I said that was fine but asked if I could get a loaner or a rental since I need a car and she said they no longer have loaners or rentals available. How is that even possible? People buy new cars for the reliability and know that if the car has issues and take it to the dealer they will (I’m most cases) get a rental. I was pretty upset and searched around for other VW dealers.

Mossy VW actually got me in on Monday and the car was ready that evening. Apparently it was a software glitch (I’m sure no one here is surprised by that) that no longer recognized the compressor so they weren’t talking to each other.

I guess that’s just a really long way of saying that I will no longer be taking my car to Kearny Mesa VW.

127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well since they didn't verbally tell you anything is wrong with your tires or try to sell you tires, and your tires look and ride fine, I think the most likely explanation would be a mistake, and not suspicious activity.
The elephant in the room is that at 10K+ miles, those POS Alenza tires could be down to (or close to) the wear bars. Has anyone checked?
They don't look like they will make it to 20K probably be lucky to hit 15K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts