Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve recently noticed on the camera in my garage while in Night Vision mode that if I reload my vehicle’s info in the myVW app (pulling down on the Home Screen, on iOS anyways), the car makes a quick click (probably a relay?) then after about a minute an IR LED that seems to be just under the base of the rear view mirror will start blinking rapidly. Think the kind of blinking an Ethernet port’s status LED makes makes while a computer is talking to the internet.

Pretty neat to see, but I can’t think of what it would be. IR communication is very short-range so I’m guessing not that (?), but maybe this is a communication feature that can provide diagnostic utility to some specific receiver while in the shop (or something) and it just fires away regardless of if the car is in some sort of diagnostic mode / in the shop/ etc. Couldn’t be a status light because it’s not in the visible spectrum.

Does anyone know what this is all about? I’d post a screenshot but my phone won’t allow it for some reason.

If it is a communication signal, anyone have ideas on how to intercept it to dissect it some more? I have a software defined radio… unclear to me if there’s anything relevant I can do with that— I really don’t know how to use it yet :).

EDIT: equally interesting is that two square patches of the windshield on either side of the rear view mirror light up (mostly solid, not really blinking, but with some pulsing about its illumination right at the beginning and a bit every 10-15 seconds or so) during this whole routine, too. It really is a trip. Maybe it’s not IR, but is just being picked up by the sensor the night vision mode uses.

EDIT: here’s a screenshot of some of what I’m talking about. I have a 20 second video clip but not sure how to upload it.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sky Road surface Grey

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ahhh, rain sensors. That makes sense, given location and IR. Thanks all!

I wonder why they go on for a simple myVW app status check. Maybe someday myVW will be able to tell us if it’s raining and/or if the ice on the windshield is melted, etc?

2,408 Posts
Ahhh, rain sensors. That makes sense, given location and IR. Thanks all!

I wonder why they go on for a simple myVW app status check. Maybe someday myVW will be able to tell us if it’s raining and/or if the ice on the windshield is melted, etc?
That is exactly right. In some models, and markets, the car can sense the rain and roll the sunroof closed if it is open.

509 Posts
That is exactly right. In some models, and markets, the car can sense the rain and roll the sunroof closed if it is open.
Ohhh. I love watching the rain pelt on the roof. And it's surreal if you're sitting in the backseat during a storm with the water sheeting and distorting everything you see out the roof! Plus the lightning!! Don't get me started on how fun it is to have everyone in the back seat flip out when bolts of lightning flash across the sky above them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts