Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
133 Posts
Nice! I was actually wanting to get one of these, but since they were not available when I needed to buy my EVSE and I was not sure when they would get released, I went with a different one. Keep us posted on how well it works, I would still consider getting one as a second unit in my garage if I can convince my wife to go electric for her next car (she is still a skeptic).

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
173 Posts
Nice! I was actually wanting to get one of these, but since they were not available when I needed to buy my EVSE and I was not sure when they would get released, I went with a different one. Keep us posted on how well it works, I would still consider getting one as a second unit in my garage if I can convince my wife to go electric for her next car (she is still a skeptic).
When I installed my 30amp socket I chose a location midway between the 2 parking slots. Now that I find I only need to use my L2 charger every 4-7 days, if/when we do go to a 2nd EV they'll be no need for a second unit. I guess a long daily commute or limited EVSE location might require a 2nd circuit & EVSE.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
133 Posts
When I installed my 30amp socket I chose a location midway between the 2 parking slots. Now that I find I only need to use my L2 charger every 4-7 days, if/when we do go to a 2nd EV they'll be no need for a second unit. I guess a long daily commute or limited EVSE location might require a 2nd circuit & EVSE.
Since I have a 70+ mile round trip commute to work every day, as well as sports for my kids afterwards most days, I am always at or below 50% SOC when I eventually get home. (That is starting at 80% each morning.) I could probably charge every 2-3 days, but decided it is best to just make sure I am at 80% "full" each morning. If my wife does get an EV, she will not need to charge as much since she only puts around 20 miles in total each day at most, so we might be able to get away with just one EVSE, but for peace of mind I would still like to have dedicated units just in case.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
173 Posts
Since I have a 70+ mile round trip commute to work every day, as well as sports for my kids afterwards most day
s, I am always at or below 50% SOC when I eventually get home. (That is starting at 80% each morning.) I could probably charge every 2-3 days, but decided it is best to just make sure I am at 80% "full" each morning. If my wife does get an EV, she will not need to charge as much since she only puts around 20 miles in total each day at most, so we might be able to get away with just one EVSE, but for peace of mind I would still like to have dedicated units just in case.
Maybe all you need is one L2 and one L1. If your wife plugs into the L1 everyday after work, you should be able to keep her car topped off for the whole week.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
133 Posts
Maybe all you need is one L2 and one L1. If your wife plugs into the L1 everyday after work, you should be able to keep her car topped off for the whole week.
Wow, you guys act like you want to save money or something, lol. ;) I’m just looking for an excuse to buy another cool thing for the garage.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
173 Posts
Wow, you guys act like you want to save money or something, lol. ;) I’m just looking for an excuse to buy another cool thing for the garage.
I'm happy to let you simulate the economy. In my case, even though there's a 30% tax credit on new installations I was able to install a 30amp socket for under $100. Maybe you already have the 2nd circuit available, but in many cases the cost of a new circuit far exceeds the cost of the actual EVSE.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
173 Posts
Haha yea, my wallet is still hurting from installing the first circuit to my detached garage. If I had a brain, I would have had my electrician put enough wire in for a second L2 EVSE one day when he had the back yard trenched out, but the thought didn't cross my mind until it was too late. My driving situation is like yours. I commute ~100 miles/day five days a week, whereas my wife commutes ~10 miles/day about 3-4 days per week. If/when we go fully electric, the L1 EVSE will easily cover her needs while I hog the L2. Honestly, the L1 might not even be needed because she can just plug into the L2 on the weekend and likely have enough charge to last the entire work week.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
133 Posts
Haha yea, my wallet is still hurting from installing the first circuit to my detached garage. If I had a brain, I would have had my electrician put enough wire in for a second L2 EVSE one day when he had the back yard trenched out, but the thought didn't cross my mind until it was too late. My driving situation is like yours. I commute ~100 miles/day five days a week, whereas my wife commutes ~10 miles/day about 3-4 days per week. If/when we go fully electric, the L1 EVSE will easily cover her needs while I hog the L2. Honestly, the L1 might not even be needed because she can just plug into the L2 on the weekend and likely have enough charge to last the entire work week.
Yeah, most likely I would be in the same situation if we get to 100% electric as well, but it is nice to dream.

·
18 Posts
Unlike that of giovis925, my HomeStation install has been a bit of an annoyance. The charger functions well as a "dumb" charger; however, its appeal was that it would integrate with the Electrify America app. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get it connected to my network and have an open ticket with Electrify Home's support team. Had a call the other day to attempt a hoped-for fix but it failed. The ticket has been elevated, once again, and I wait for a satisfactory resolution.

If anyone had problems connecting the unit with the app that have since been resolved, I'd like to hear how it was accomplished.

·
3 Posts
Unlike that of giovis925, my HomeStation install has been a bit of an annoyance. The charger functions well as a "dumb" charger; however, its appeal was that it would integrate with the Electrify America app. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get it connected to my network and have an open ticket with Electrify Home's support team. Had a call the other day to attempt a hoped-for fix but it failed. The ticket has been elevated, once again, and I wait for a satisfactory resolution.

If anyone had problems connecting the unit with the app that have since been resolved, I'd like to hear how it was accomplished.
Sounds like you are having the same issue I am, was planning on calling them sometime this week, but been using as a dumb charger in the meantime. Just picked up my vehicle last week but would like to use all the features of the charger since scheduled charging is broken with the vehicle currently.

·
18 Posts
Is that working now? The general consensus seemed to be that scheduled charging was broken and would be fixed with a later OTA update so I hadn't bothered with trying it yet.
I'm not sure if it is working or not -- I haven't tried it either! Guess it is one more thing to add to the "to do" list.

·
240 Posts
No, the scheduled charging in the car itself is not working correctly yet. We are waiting for the coming software update to see if that gets it fixed.

·
39 Posts
Is the ground pin on the outlet on the top or the bottom? Mine is on the bottom, but the outlet is pretty high on the wall, maybe 5' up from the floor.

·
18 Posts
Is the ground pin on the outlet on the top or the bottom? Mine is on the bottom, but the outlet is pretty high on the wall, maybe 5' up from the floor.
The ground pin is at the bottom of the outlet, as it is at the bottom of the plug when hanging below the charger.

·
17 Posts
I have one of these coming, hoping to fix my scheduled charging woes. It doesn't sound promising by a few comments here. Does anyone have one of these with properly working scheduled charging?

·
18 Posts
Here is a video that suggests there may be light at the end of the tunnel for those of us who are having problems making the connection between charger and app.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts