Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does your ID4 instrument panel gets really hot? Mine does and I’m not sure if that’s normal. The front and back hot to the touch.
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

·
2021 Pro AWD
327 Posts
mine does not get hot unless it is getting sun exposure, but when they do, both screens really heat up given their position

if you try at night, it shouldn't be really hot to touch

·
2021 Pro AWD
327 Posts
there were some early reports of screens failing but those seem to have settled down. others have mused that the way the screens capture solar radiation and get hot may not be good for their longevity. one guy in Scandinavia was concerned enough to tape white reflective foam to back of his primary id3 screen

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
526 Posts
It is one of my earlier concerns, it is because of sunlight exposure, not the display itself. I have a way to cover the back of the displays during hot sun exposure. Not very sustainable method (can't do that every time) but it kept them cool while covered.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
526 Posts
I bought one of those brown fabric dash covers from aliexpress. The fabric color matches the brown accents, but there are other colors if you hate the brown. In my opinion (may not be popular) it makes it the dash looks cozy although the stitching is a bit sloppy. But anyways, I use it to cover the back of the displays when I have to park under direct sun as well; from far away it looks like part of the dash. 😁
Rectangle Font Linens Magenta Fashion accessory

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
148 Posts
Ceramic on the windshield? DIY , or done at dealer ?
I went to a window tinting business and got the front side windows tinted with 35% to match the back and 70% ceramic tint on the windshield. Here in Washington, it's not actually legal to tint the windshield but I did it anyway because it's absolutely undetectable. The benefit of ceramic tint is worth it, to me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S Gradient AWD
625 Posts
Just a bit of info. The entire dash area, including the screens, were all tested to expected temperature extremes and signed off on. So I don’t think you all need to worry about this being an issue.
Oh yeah I don’t doubt that at all. But there could be long-term ramifications. And it makes me feel better to cover them. :)

·
266 Posts
I remember when this topic came up last year. VW Technician (where has he been lately??) said the instrument panel does get hot and there are no concerns. He may have given a temperature but not sure.

·
5 Posts
Just a bit of info. The entire dash area, including the screens, were all tested to expected temperature extremes and signed off on. So I don’t think you all need to worry about this being an issue.
How extreme is extreme? Asking because it was 110° the other day here, don't know how hot the inside of the car got 😂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts