Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 ID4 and owned it for 3 months. My home charging setup is a mobile Tesla charger on a 50 amp circuit that has worked perfectly for 20 months now. I use it to charge my Tesla Model 3.

For the past 3 months I've been using a Lectron adapter to charge my wife's ID4. This has also worked perfectly now for 3 plus months and charges at around 7kw which is about 24 miler per hour.

Today, for no reason, the max charging rate I can now get from this exact setup is 2 kw or about 5 miles per hour.

Here's my troubleshooting:

1) Plugged back into the Tesla, and all is working as it should. Charges Tesla at 33 miles per hour.
2) Drove the ID4 to the local train station and plugged into free Level 2 charger that I've used many times before. This puts out 7 kw always. This time, the ID4 will only accept 2 kw, same as at home.
3) Went back home, tried again, and same thing. Even waiting 30 seconds after attaching the Lectron adapter to Tesla charger.
3) Checked the settings in the ID4 and reduced current is not selected.

So, the problem is not the Lectron adapter and it is not my home charging setup.

There is clearly now a problem with the ID4 as it will only take a maximum of 2 kw. I've not yet tried an EA station because the closest station is 12 miles away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be happening here? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks all.

44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the exact issue I'm having right now:

44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, for everyone's benefit, I found the fix for this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/VWiD4Owners/comments/ng1jzu/_/x
I did these EXACT steps and it worked to somehow and strangely fix the bug that was capping L2 charging at 2kw:
  • step out of the car (everyone), close all windows
  • lock the car
  • wait a few seconds
  • unlock
  • sit down
  • put on the seatbelt
  • press the brake pedal
That's it. I truly hope this issue does not come back. Holy cow!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts