Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like the interior lights to pop on when I open the doors. Always. This seems like some sort of rubics cube of arrangements to make happen. Like, a normal non-smart car, when you open the doors, the interior lights pop on. With the ID4 it seems all random

·
184 Posts
I would like the interior lights to pop on when I open the doors. Always. This seems like some sort of rubics cube of arrangements to make happen. Like, a normal non-smart car, when you open the doors, the interior lights pop on. With the ID4 it seems all random
Following

·
9 Posts
There was a discussion on Reddit about the dome lights Link
It looks like if the car has been off for awhile the dome lights do not automatically come on, but if the car has been on recently they works as normal.

·
2021 ID4 Pro Black
29 Posts
This is a problem that I have addressed with my tech and dealer and the best we can do is wait for the OTA update. Sometimes this car drives me crazy!

·
Blue ID.4 FE
34 Posts
Try this: There is a button on your overhead center panel that turns on the interior lights when you open the door, or when you unlock the car with your key fob.

Automotive parking light White Light Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
558 Posts
Try this: There is a button on your overhead center panel that turns on the interior lights when you open the door, or when you unlock the car with your key fob.

View attachment 5941
As far as I am concerned that button is useless! It only turns off the overhead light when you open the doors - I guess like when in a drive in! Remember those. BUT the lights only come on when opening the doors after they have been locked. So if you want the overhead lights to come on when your ID4 is parked in your dark garage you better lock it. VW really screwed up on this one. Just like they screw up by not having the heat/AC control and volume control lighted.

·
98 Posts
My anecdotal findings have been that if I leave the car locked, when I come back to it the light will come on. If I close the door without locking, when I come back the dome light won't work.

·
558 Posts
My anecdotal findings have been that if I leave the car locked, when I come back to it the light will come on. If I close the door without locking, when I come back the dome light won't work.
Mine has been doing that since the day I bought it! Stupid VW folks!

·
71 Posts
Finally cleared out the garage for the ID.4 and also can confirm that the dome lights do not come on after car has been parked unlocked for some time. However, the ambient and footwell lights do come on, so at least it's not completely dark. Are others seeing the same thing?

·
1,051 Posts
Finally cleared out the garage for the ID.4 and also can confirm that the dome lights do not come on after car has been parked unlocked for some time. However, the ambient and footwell lights do come on, so at least it's not completely dark. Are others seeing the same thing?
jup

·
115 Posts
I ran into that last night, was unloading the car after a long trip and at some point when opening the doors, the interior lights no longer turned on. I was able to manually turn on the light in the back seat however, and that light turned off when I closed the door again.

·
41 Posts
Want to be even more baffled?? Leave it unlocked for a while. Open the door, the overhead lights won't come on. Close the door, walk away. Come back two minutes later and open the door again. Voilá, the overhead lights will come on. At least on my FE, it's 100% predictable! VW said there's nothing wrong with the car!

·
2 Posts

View attachment 5941
A real usability whammy … turn the light/button labeled “off” off to turn the associated function on. It’s a double negative. What I’ve found is that if this button is indeed turned off, then the desired dome light operation is enabled and the lights do go on when the doors are opened after the car has been driven, but only for a limited time (I don’t know how long, but less than hour). After that, I can get the dome lights to go on when opening the doors by first pressing the unlock button on the key fob, regardless of whether the car is locked or not.

·
2 Posts
I’ve found that you don’t have to lock the doors first. If you just press the unlock “button” on the key fob first, regardless of whether the car is locked or not, the dome lights will go on when you open the doors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts