Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OutofSpecKyle posted this excellent review today, where he chats with Volkswagen's Director of e-Mobility Dustin Krause. They talk about what to expect from OTA updates and VW's plans for the ID.4. Definitely worth 30 minutes of your time.

BTW, I didn't ask Kyle's permission to link this here -I hope that's okay. :)

·
2021 Pro AWD
368 Posts
Dustin Krause sounds like an excellent point person to coordinate addressing multiple low hanging fruit to improve the car, as in the stickied thread here. Hopefully he browses this forum.

Let's see how nimble VW can be... Not something they're known for

For those without 30 min rough outline
10:00 heat pump decision for US market
13:55 lit front vw logo
17:30 smaller battery buffer compared to other vw ev products
19:00 OTA plans, including autohold
28:00 vague plans for setting up more direct feedback loop with ID owners and briefly referencing online reviews /message boards

·
24 Posts
Maybe I'm the oddball but I found it a complete waste of time. The VW guy says his car is fantastic. He waxes lyrical about how getting people into electric cars is all about the experience and making it seedless and talks about Electrify America. Well, one of the biggest complaints in reviews has been how non seamless charging at EA is with no plug and charge yet.
He talks about how important the software and OTA updates will be and they released a car with incomplete and laggy software.
I'm sure all this will be corrected by OTA eventually but I found it hard to stomach the gloating and self satisfaction of these two talking about the ID4 when, even though it is a capable car, it was released before being fully finished.
There was no self criticism or road for the future beyond platitudes in my opinion.

·
Proud FE owner
1,197 Posts
Maybe I'm the oddball but I found it a complete waste of time. The VW guy says his car is fantastic. He waxes lyrical about how getting people into electric cars is all about the experience and making it seedless and talks about Electrify America. Well, one of the biggest complaints in reviews has been how non seamless charging at EA is with no plug and charge yet.
He talks about how important the software and OTA updates will be and they released a car with incomplete and laggy software.
I'm sure all this will be corrected by OTA eventually but I found it hard to stomach the gloating and self satisfaction of these two talking about the ID4 when, even though it is a capable car, it was released before being fully finished.
There was no self criticism or road for the future beyond platitudes in my opinion.
I'm sitting at an EA charger as I reply. Piece of cake to plug-in and swipe in the app. My software is not laggy in the least. And, quite frankly, i don't find it incomplete either (sure it will evolve over time).

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
476 Posts
Yep, the complete product is still in development, but I like that. I like watching it evolve and improve. As long as it doesn't explode, I'm good.

Reactions: ErickF

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
2,003 Posts
I'm sitting at an EA charger as I reply. Piece of cake to plug-in and swipe in the app. My software is not laggy in the least. And, quite frankly, i don't find it incomplete either (sure it will evolve over time).
My experience with EA is mixed. Sometimes it works. But sometimes the credit card readers don't work, sometimes the sessions terminate unexpectedly. Sometimes the app doesn't work. I know that it is something they have been working on - it has been nearly 8 months since I have used EA, so maybe it is a lot more solid than it used to be.

I have also used ChargePoint and EVgo - both of those seem pretty solid.

·
ID.4 Pro S, Moonstone Gray w/Galaxy Black
32 Posts
I thought it was a good interview for 2 enthusiast discussing a car they are both fans of. It did provide some illumination and a mixed message. The features that were brought up were given a broad time frame (~year), but an enthusiastic response. I understand the whole "under promise, over deliver" philosophy but VW announced 12 week OTA cycle for updates, so what is VW updating for 4 update cycles in the mean time? Truth of the matter is we honestly have no idea what VW is planning, so I plan to grab on tight with both hands and see where this ride takes me. The investor side of me want VW to Sell, Sell, Sell, but the consumer side of me what them to improve, improve, improve my existing car. Which side wins is a story yet to be told, but the OTA's might be a clue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.