Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone else put down $100 deposit on the Ioniq 5 today.

Strange that they still didn’t provide pricing and looks like it will be out in another 4-5 months. Which is when the ID.4 AWD will be showing up.

Nice to see leatherette and not real leather on the seats. Plus 2 years free EA charging.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
957 Posts
It's a slick car from what I've seen so far. I love the aesthetic, but my wife watched a review before we bought the ID and down-voted it. No matter, entrants like this are good for all of us. It's a nudge to remind VW to up their game, get their software sorted, shift the internet comments from "this is slow and buggy and missing features" to where they should be, "wow what a great car to drive and nice place to be." Buyers see trivial comments like that and magnify them, sit on the bench, put their money into something else. It's unfortunate.

I never test drive cars just for the heck of it. I have no intention of buying one. But I'm going to do my best to get in an Ioniq because I just gotta know if reality can match expectations.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
957 Posts
Hmmm... you think it'll cut off at 30 minutes, or will it automatically shift over to toll taking mode? They may need to add a cash register bell to the charger. Cha-Ching!

·
FE Blue - picked up March 19
37 Posts
Looks like they are still limiting availability to certain states

“Currently, 2022 IONIQ 5 is only sold in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA.”

Mostly ZEV states, it’s more states than the Kona is available (ZEV only), but disappointing. I probably would have gotten a Kona early last year if it wasn’t such a hassle to get one.

I suspect that end of year deliveries will be targeted at ZEV states and Europe to meet targets and avoid penalties.

·
201 Posts
need to know the price though. If its more expensive than an ID4 its a no go for me. If its the same price it makes it tough for me to decide. without knowing the price or what is on each trim I'm still hesitant about it.
Not sure if acceleration matters to you that much, or if you're interested in a lease, but I was disappointed in the ID4 acceleration AND in the 0-62 mpg numbers given by Hyundai.

Ioniq 5

SR RWD 168 HP 258 LB-FT, 8.5s
SR AWD 232 HP 446 LB-FT, 6.1s
LR RWD 215 HP 258 LB-FT, 7.4s
LR AWD 302 HP 446 LB-FT, 5.2s

So even with possibly less weight, the lowest trim will be even slower than an ID4. Definitely not interested in that. (perhaps the smaller batter pack can't deliver high peak current).
The LR RWD is probably the closest config to the RWD ID4, and I think the 0-60 is similar. This is 0-62 which doesn't include the 1 foot rollout.

Since I value accel and handling much more than range, I'd probably be happiest with the SR AWD, but my gut feel is it won't be priced less than the ID4.

As far as leasing terms, perhaps Hyundai won't put the whole 7500 FTC into the lease, but on the other hand maybe the residual value won't be the garbage 48% the ID4 has.

·
13 Posts
I drive a Prius c currently. Acceleration doesn’t really concern me. I want reliability and range. I would love a Toyota, but they are too slow to get an ev to market.

·
201 Posts
I drive a Prius c currently. Acceleration doesn’t really concern me. I want reliability and range. I would love a Toyota, but they are too slow to get an ev to market.
I still don't fully understand the economics of producing EVs. What has Toyota lost by not taking on the early (and more difficult) challenge of producing EVs ?

·
201 Posts
Seems like on the Ioniq 5 side you'd be more interested in the LR RWD. But because it's not the lowest trim, I wouldn't suppose the price is anywhere south of 44k.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
Just checking to see if anyone else put down $100 deposit on the Ioniq 5 today.

Strange that they still didn’t provide pricing and looks like it will be out in another 4-5 months. Which is when the ID.4 AWD will be showing up.

Nice to see leatherette and not real leather on the seats. Plus 2 years free EA charging.

I put in my deposit as soon as the site opened. I need to figure out how many deposits I have outstanding (I think I am at 5, and will be 6 next week once they open reservations for the EV6). I like to diversify my investments. :)

Reactions: thatbrian

·
267 Posts
I put in my deposit as soon as the site opened. I need to figure out how many deposits I have outstanding (I think I am at 5, and will be 6 next week once they open reservations for the EV6). I like to diversify my investments. :)
I also put in a reservation as soon as I could get the site to populate. I have one ID.4 AWD, one F-150 Lightning, and now one Ioniq 5. Disregarding the F-150, I need to hedge my bet of taking delivery in 2021 for tax credit purposes and both Hyundai and VW could very well slip into 2022.

Reactions: TT97

·
635 Posts
I also put in a reservation as soon as I could get the site to populate. I have one ID.4 AWD, one F-150 Lightning, and now one Ioniq 5. Disregarding the F-150, I need to hedge my bet of taking delivery in 2021 for tax credit purposes and both Hyundai and VW could very well slip into 2022.
I have the same ones plus the CyberTruck and the Aptera. Trying to decide which one is uglier between the CyberTruck and the Aptera (may need a poll).

·
267 Posts
I have the same ones plus the CyberTruck and the Aptera. Trying to decide which one is uglier between the CyberTruck and the Aptera (may need a poll).
Ha ha! But the Aptera should be weird as it's a trike. The CT is just Tesla trying to be different.

Reactions: TT97

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
need to know the price though. If its more expensive than an ID4 its a no go for me. If its the same price it makes it tough for me to decide. without knowing the price or what is on each trim I'm still hesitant about it.
Considering the cheapest 70+kw trim in the UK sells for the equivalent of ~48k USD, I'd be surprised if it was priced below what a ID.4 Pro costs. Maybe the same price, but that's about it, IMO.

·
635 Posts
Considering the cheapest 70+kw trim in the UK sells for the equivalent of ~48k USD, I'd be surprised if it was priced below what a ID.4 Pro costs. Maybe the same price, but that's about it, IMO.
Well, considering the cheapest 77 kWh ID.4 in the UK starts at approx. $57.7k, (£44,800) I think that bodes well for the Ioniq 5.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
310 Posts
Well, considering the cheapest 77 kWh ID.4 in the UK starts at approx. $57.7k, (£44,800) I think that bodes well for the Ioniq 5.
Now that I've done more research, I guess the Ioniq will be price comparable (maybe). As someone on Reddit pointed out to me today, the UK prices include VAT so an apples-to-apples comparison would require backing out VAT.

According to this brochure: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/...pdf/Brochures/id4-brochure-pricelist-p11d.pdf (page 7), the cheapest (non-FE) 77 kWh ID.4 is 34,066 pounds before VAT, which converts to $48,207. The 73 kWh Ioniq 5 is 34,421 pounds before VAT (https://hyundai-website-assets.s3.e...sets/production/ioniq5/IONIQ-5-Price-List.pdf), which converts to $48,455.

We know that VW cut some features from the UK/EU versions for the US (heat pump, HUD) and, from media reports, that they are not making money on the cars sold here. That accounts for some of the drop. Who knows what Hyundai will take out/whether they will be willing to use it as a loss leader here. My guesstimate still is something on the order of $43-45k for the base Ioniq.

·
8 Posts
giving $100 to 5 different people @ 0.0% interest isn't an "investment"

·
635 Posts
giving $100 to 5 different people @ 0.0% interest isn't an "investment"
But it's diversified! 😁 [It is heavily skewed to VW as I have given them $500 already, I will need to rebalance my "investments".]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts