Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having put a deposit on an Ioniq5 when it was announced, and then learning that it did nothing in terms of getting the car other than placing you in line for the dealer to call you, and then canceling it, picking up the ID4 instead, I've always had a nagging Envy for the ionic 5 finally got to see one at the local dealer the other day. Noticed that it actually sits much lower and doesn't look like has much more room inside. So now I have no more Envy. Just waiting for my second ID 4 to come in. Of course I haven't driven the car so maybe, just maybe the ride is better? Athough I am completely happy with the ride quality of the ID 4, and it's consistently mentioned in almost all the reviews. I wonder if it handles better but I don't see how as the id4 is so nimble, I actually drive it much faster than my other Electrics.

·
58 Posts
I have had my ID4 Max for 5 months now, but fancied a change of car as Telsa are offering me full list price that I paid for the ID4 as part exchange.

So today I test drove the Model Y Tesla long range.

Great performance, quick as heck. But I was driving along and a huge bug hit my windshield right in my eyeline. I had to stop the car to figure out how to use the windshield washers........what the heck, you have to go into the screen menu to use the wipers.

After 30 minutes my back was in agony, I need a seat that my back can sink into, I had lumbar support completely off but it was no good, so am not purchasing the car.

Got back in my (slower) ID4, lovely suspension, seems quieter, seat massage on..............................comfy as heck, just might be keeping it.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Windshield washers/wipers on Tesla Model 3/Y are controlled by the button on end of the Turn Signal stalk on left side of steering wheel..

Just in case you end up in another Tesla some day.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
475 Posts
Having put a deposit on an Ionq 5 when it was announced, and then learning that it did nothing in terms of getting the car other than placing you in line for the dealer to call you, and then canceling it, picking up the ID4 instead, I've always had a nagging Envy for the ionic 5 finally got to see one at the local dealer the other day. Noticed that it actually sits much lower and doesn't look like has much more room inside. So now I have no more Envy. Just waiting for my second ID 4 to come in. Of course I haven't driven the car so maybe, just maybe the ride is better? Athough I am completely happy with the ride quality of the ID 4, and it's consistently mentioned in almost all the reviews. I wonder if it handles better but I don't see how as the id4 is so nimble, I actually drive it much faster than my other Electrics.
Don't do it... what you don't know can't make you envious 😁

I know I will be envious of all that 360 camera, and I heard it rides pretty good as well, Kyle's dad seems to think so. Although he switches EVs like changing socks... so....

·
58 Posts
At 80mph in heavy motorway traffic I had no idea where they were............
Don't do it... what you don't know can't make you envious 😁

I know I will be envious of all that 360 camera, and I heard it rides pretty good as well, Kyle's dad seems to think so. Although he switches EVs like changing socks... so....
My ID4 Has 360 camera system.........

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,947 Posts
Reminds me of my first ID.4 Demo drive. The steering wheel heater was on full force but as I knew very little at the time I didn't want to take my eyes off the road to poke around the Infotainment screen to turn it off, so just endured it. Sometimes the human factors engineers take a back seat to the bean-counters?
At 80mph in heavy motorway traffic I had no idea where they were............

·
917 Posts
The Ioniq is 'quicker' and it has selectable regen with 'true' one-pedal driving. It also has V2L and a faster-charging cycle (under the right conditions). But it does sit 'close to the ground' and I thought the suspension was a little firmer and the handling a little vaguer than the VW (a trait that has kept me from buying many Korean cars over the years, not just this one I admit). The backseats are also adjustable to make a little more room in the back.

On the flip side, no wireless CarPlay was a major killer as the only USB port that works for it is the one down on the floor in the dash. The ones in the center armrest are power only. And the car is slightly less efficient than that VW, made up for with the supposed faster charging. The panoramic roof only comes in the highest level trim and is not available as an option on the midspec. And we thought the second infotainment screen was actually ergonomically uncomfortable, requiring me to lean forward to reach the farther elements slightly. I'm an 'average' 5'9" male. And for us anyhow the plastics all felt cheaper and a lot more of it's obvious use than in the VW. But that's stylistic of course and others may find it just fine.

To me if felt more like a 'big' GTI than an SUV.

Of course I haven't driven the car so maybe, just maybe the ride is better? Athough I am completely happy with the ride quality of the ID 4, and it's consistently mentioned in almost all the reviews. I wonder if it handles better but I don't see how as the id4 is so nimble, I actually drive it much faster than my other Electrics.

·
994 Posts
The party trick of the Korean twins (Ioniq 5 / EV6) is their charging speed… but YouTube reviews indicate it massively slows down if the battery isn‘t in the perfect tem range. So, I suppose if you make a lot of summer road trips, when the battery will be hot, get the Hyundai. Otherwise, it‘s a smaller car that costs more. (Full disclosure - I’ve sat in one at the dealer, but not driven one. I was not enamored if it’s styling, but that’s personal preference.) And the VW doors sound better when you close them ;-)

·
ID4 AWD Pro
708 Posts
Your fellow Ioniq 5 pre-orderer but "Not pre-orderer" here.

I placed my deposit for ioniq 5 as well in June 2021. Only to be taught that it means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They took our money for 7 months and it went nowhere. I was so pissed when I learned that they would not honor the pre-order deposit they took. Their launch is just a joke. I'm glad that my wife said she prefers the ID4 look and feel, and we placed a pre-order for her in August 2021. Now we've had our ID4 AWD Pro for about 3 weeks, and I absolutely love it, despite being some minor hiccups, such as no odometer when driving (only shows when stopped); no remote lock/unlock on the app; infotainment can start up slow some times, and all other common issues people have been talking about.

I felt the AWD handling, especially with the smaller 19" wheel on Pro, is not as impressively good as the RWD. It makes sense, a higher 8" ground clearance with probably a different suspension setup, more sidewalls with the tires on 19" vs. 20" and Kumho EV tire vs. Bridgestone sport tire, and couply hundred pounds more weight on the front axle. Despite the 235 front / 255 rear setup being very balanced on the RWD, I'm thinking maybe I'll do the all 4 255 squared-out tire setup when it's time to get new tires. I've seen people posting their 4-way 255 setups here with no rubbing issue.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
708 Posts
The party trick of the Korean twins (Ioniq 5 / EV6) is their charging speed… but YouTube reviews indicate it massively slows down if the battery isn‘t in the perfect tem range. So, I suppose if you make a lot of summer road trips, when the battery will be hot, get the Hyundai. Otherwise, it‘s a smaller car that costs more. (Full disclosure - I’ve sat in one at the dealer, but not driven one. I was not enamored if it’s styling, but that’s personal preference.) And the VW doors sound better when you close them ;-)
The party trick of the Korean twins is they rubbed the media really well. I was on their media list, they kept showing how many awards they won globally, that's the only thing they care about. Some whinny pre-orderers are not their concern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts