Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to vent a little, see if anybody else had a similar experience.

I've always prepared my taxes myself and in recent years have been using H&R software, which has generally been fine.

This year it's cost me a few hundred dollars.

This past April I completed the 8911 form for the home EVSE installation credit. The 8911 form is not included in any of H&R's offerings, so I completed the IRS's paper form.

After completing the form, I input the credit into my tax software, and my refund DECREASED by about $300 (the amount I was expecting as a credit).

So what did I do? I threw a negative (-) sign in front of it and forced it to add the $300 as a credit.

But when it came time to file, because I used this paper form, I had to snail mail my return.

April turned to July and no update, and finally today -- 5+ months later -- I received my tax refund. But the IRS caught my (-) and "corrected" it to the tune of $600.

In other words, I received less back than I would have had I NOT claimed the credit, and waited 5 months for it to boot.

They say they're going to snail mail me an explanation of their "correction" which I can appeal, something I'm not looking forward to and probably have no chance of winning, but I'll try.

I have read other online complaints of tax software not supporting the form 8911, but I've never seen anyone complain that their "credit" ended up costing them money.

·
2022 Pro - Scale Silver
4 Posts
Hi! Just as another data point...I had to do the same thing with H&R Block with the form 8911 and paper filing, but did not have any issues with the credit when using the online application. After 5 months, I finally got my confirmation that everything went through successfully yesterday, and even got an additional $28 that I guess I underestimated, and direct deposit happening in the next day or 2. I was convinced that something was going to go terribly wrong, but other than the delay, it appears to be going according to plan-just 5 months later. Not sure if this helps, but wanted to add my personal experience.

Cheers-

Adam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts