Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
20 Posts
I put in a deposit for a Mach-e day one. I wanted a grabber blue one and the only way for that was to get the first edition. Ford confirmed my pre-order for one and then days later reneged. I have owned many Ford products over the years and recently traded my Mustang in on a ‘19 Ranger for my wife. I lost any brand loyalty I had for Ford when they pulled that bait and switch. After owning an e-golf for a few months I think I’ll be more than happy with an ID.4. I’ve always liked VW products.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
374 Posts
Apples & oranges for me. I appreciate what Ford is doing, however my need now is a compact CUV (trading in my TTS so have had my sports coupe fun).

·
230 Posts
I don't think Ford is going to be as serious about EVs as VW is. I know someone who had a focus electric and had issues with the Ford service center not taking their issues seriously. Trying to talk them into gas car, etc.

VW is really going all in on EVs with plans to be a mostly electric car company. Ford isn't. That tells you everything you need to know.

With all that said, the Mach-E is nice. I like the interior a lot but the styling suffers from the same flaw as the Tesla Model Y. That stupid sloping rear roof so you cant put guide boats, kayaks, ski boxes, etc on the roof. At least with the ID.4 it has traditional SUV proportions so you can still use it for utility purposes.
For what it’s worth, the Mach-e looks a lot better in person than the pictures! It seems a little smallish compared to other 2? Back seat and hit your head when getting in back. I didn’t like the little grab handle on top of door. It sticks out another 3/4”. It’s weird, they don’t want you grabbing the window.

·
192 Posts
A Mach-E vlogger looked at the dimensions, range, performance, and other features to help you decide if to get the Mach-E or ID.4.

·
224 Posts
@eVDub,

Thank you for the video.

The Mach-E dealer tour will be stopping by my local Ford dealer (which is 5 minutes away). So I will actually be able to sit in the Mach-E tomorrow at noon and do I walk around it as well.

Plan on taking a few pictures, notes and dimensions. If you like I can share on this post.

BTW that same dealer is getting a Mach-E shortly. It is AWD with the bigger battery. The retail price is $56K.

Thanks.

Scott

·
192 Posts
@eVDub,

Thank you for the video.

The Mach-E dealer tour will be stopping by my local Ford dealer (which is 5 minutes away). So I will actually be able to sit in the Mach-E tomorrow at noon and do I walk around it as well.

Plan on taking a few pictures, notes and dimensions. If you like I can share on this post.

BTW that same dealer is getting a Mach-E shortly. It is AWD with the bigger battery. The retail price is $56K.

Thanks.

Scott
Hey Scott, looking forward to your coverage of the Mach-E.
Sharing it in this thread should be fine!

·
121 Posts
I just dont like the shape and looks of Mach-e let alone the price. The Id.4 is the first EV that’s resonated with me in terms of looks, price, interior and exterior color choices and just enough tech. It ticks all the boxes except the heat pump issue. The Ariya is a 2nd choice. Maybe actually seeing could change my mind, but the price then puts it out of my range anyway.

·
230 Posts
I just dont like the shape and looks of Mach-e let alone the price. The Id.4 is the first EV that’s resonated with me in terms of looks, price, interior and exterior color choices and just enough tech. It ticks all the boxes except the heat pump issue. The Ariya is a 2nd choice. Maybe actually seeing could change my mind, but the price then puts it out of my range anyway.
As I have said in a previous post, it looks a lot better in person than in the pictures. I saw it on November 9th at a dealer near my house. Couple things I didn’t like was you hit your head getting in the back seat because the cutout is so sloped. And there is a handle on the outside of the front doors that’s totally odd. It jets out below the window and it’s the only way to grab the door. It also feels cramped inside, smallish. As of now leaning towards the Model Y as I canceled my FE ID. But, I want to see it and drive it before I make a decision. Hopefully dealers get demos in in first quarter. Otherwise going with MY.

·
74 Posts
Watched that video and the rear sloping headroom is a negative along with lower EPA range unless you go higher options but other stuff is okay and wished pricing was closer to ID.4. Waiting for news on Ioniq 5 and Ariya to see if they can beat out ID.4 as Model Y is out of consideration unless new administration brings back the $7500 tax credit to Tesla.

·
230 Posts
Watched that video and the rear sloping headroom is a negative along with lower EPA range unless you go higher options but other stuff is okay and wished pricing was closer to ID.4. Waiting for news on Ioniq 5 and Ariya to see if they can beat out ID.4 as Model Y is out of consideration unless new administration brings back the $7500 tax credit to Tesla.
Yes that is a factor, but I figure on keeping the car for 10 years. I’m retiring in a few years and don’t want a payment in retirement. I would like a little performance too. It’s a lot harder decision now than it will be in several years where there will be many options.

·
74 Posts
Yes that is a factor, but I figure on keeping the car for 10 years. I’m retiring in a few years and don’t want a payment in retirement. I would like a little performance too. It’s a lot harder decision now than it will be in several years where there will be many options.
It's going to be like a BEV candy store by 2023 which is why we are leaning in favor of leasing ID.4 to get $7500 tax credit + 3yr free Electrify America supercharging until we purchase something that will be more long term. We were interested in buying 7-seater Model Y but with long delays it afforded other manufacturers to release BEV like ID.4 to come into play with tax credit so glad we didn't rush into that purchase.

·
ID.4 1st blue
8 Posts
I'm already having a hard time living w/ the idea of spending $45k for the ID 4 FE even though I can afford it. It's just a lot for a car in my head. But I'm also the nerd who bike commuted 40 mi/day for four years so I'm pretty solid on the "ban all cars" team. There was definitely period of time when my best bike was worth more than my car. So both the Mach-E and MY are way too ostentatious for me. The ID 4 doesn't look like a fancy car for fancy car people. It just looks like a car but it happens to be sneaky cool, efficient, roomy, eco, and hopefully also fun to drive and comfortable.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
214 Posts
I'm already having a hard time living w/ the idea of spending $45k for the ID 4 FE even though I can afford it. It's just a lot for a car in my head. But I'm also the nerd who bike commuted 40 mi/day for four years so I'm pretty solid on the "ban all cars" team. There was definitely period of time when my best bike was worth more than my car. So both the Mach-E and MY are way too ostentatious for me. The ID 4 doesn't look like a fancy car for fancy car people. It just looks like a car but it happens to be sneaky cool, efficient, roomy, eco, and hopefully also fun to drive and comfortable.
That about nails it, I feel much the same way! Thanks for putting it into words.

Reactions: sethpo

·
351 Posts
I am definitely not on the "ban all cars" team. But I agree with what you are saying with respect to the ID.4, M-E and the MY.

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
519 Posts
The ID 4 doesn't look like a fancy car for fancy car people. It just looks like a car but it happens to be sneaky cool, efficient, roomy, eco, and hopefully also fun to drive and comfortable.
That's why it's a Volkswagen!

Reactions: sethpo

·
0 Posts
Since the post yesterday, in another thread, reported that the AWD‘s are being postponed until next fall, I’m considering the Mach-E. I don’t really want to wait another year for the AWD, and comparing dimensions, both cars are similar in both interior and exterior sizes. I’m going to do more research on the Mach-E, but it‘s definitely a possibility for me.

·
224 Posts
Here is non-drive review from Alex on Autos

I did have a chance to sit in the Mach-E today. I agree with Alex the interior was very nice.

BTW my local dealer is getting a Mach-E with AWD and the bigger battery. Which ends up being $56K and in the state of Massachusetts it is to expensive to qualify for the $2500 rebate.

Also, the Mach-E doesn't have a heat pump.

·
63 Posts
My takeaway is that the ID4 edges out the Mach-E on the things I care most about - price, carrying capacity, and range.

ID4 has more room, plus a flat roof.
ID4 has 250 mile of range vs 230
ID4 costs a few thousand less.

The Mach-E is faster. But I have no need for fast 0-60 times.
The giant screen in the Mach-E is certainly a benefit for that car. That would be nice.

But... toss in 3 years of free road trips thanks to Electrify America and the VW clearly wins.

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
My takeaway is that the ID4 edges out the Mach-E on the things I care most about - price, carrying capacity, and range.

ID4 has more room, plus a flat roof.
ID4 has 250 mile of range vs 230
ID4 costs a few thousand less.

The Mach-E is faster. But I have no need for fast 0-60 times.
The giant screen in the Mach-E is certainly a benefit for that car. That would be nice.

But... toss in 3 years of free road trips thanks to Electrify America and the VW clearly wins.
Or: Mach-e has 300 miles of range vs 250.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts