Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
74 Posts
If the 300 miles EPA range Mach-E Premium ER RWD was not $12K higher than ID.4 at 250 miles EPA range, I'd seriously considered it as number 1b on my list. Right now the ID.4 is overall best option for our family unless Ioniq 5 can match their msrp with tax credit especially with the 800V fast charging, 310 mile range WLTP, vehicle-to-load (V2L) bi-directional charging, and vehicle-to-grid capacity.

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@FredT ,

The cheapest 300 mile range version of the Mach-E (CALIFORNIA ROUTE 1) is $10k more than the ID.4 Pro.

Scott
Fair enough. But, the base ID.4 is lacking a lot of features that the Mach-e has. I think a better comparison is Pro S package. Yes, still more than $5000 less. Foe me one of the maddening things about the way VW is marketing the ID.4 in the US is that they leave so many features off the table. I would gladly pay as much as the Mach-e to get them, but I don't have the choice.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
50 Posts
There is a lot to like about the Mach-e: it's a little faster, can offer more range, can charge faster, may have a higher quality interior, has much less buggy software, and may be available sooner than the ID.4. It seems appropriately placed about halfway in price between the ID.4 and a Model Y, which gives a good range of options.

For me, two things push me solidly towards the ID.4 over the Mach-e. First and foremost is price. The ID.4 1st edition falls just under the threshold to qualify for the sales tax exemption in Washington state, and I don't believe it is wise to try to convince my wife we should spend more than that on a car (any car).
The second reason is the dealers. I looked at the websites of four ford dealers around Seattle just now, and they prominently feature the new Bronco, F-150s, and the Explorer. Not one features the Mach-e anywhere on their home page. In fact, you have to search in menus to find anything about it. Contrast that to the VW dealers. I looked at the websites for five VW dealers around Seattle, and all of them included a feature on the ID.4, and two of them used it for their background and put links to pre-order front and center. That tells me a lot about how seriously the people selling the cars take them. I'd be willing to bet that if I walked into a Ford dealership and asked about the Mach-e, they would try to sell me an Explorer or Bronco instead.

·
74 Posts
The ID.4 1st edition falls just under the threshold to qualify for the sales tax exemption in Washington state
What's the threshold for the WA sales tax exemption? I assume it's pre-tax total and is it no sales tax exempt on the entire amount or a fraction of it?

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
50 Posts
What's the threshold for the WA sales tax exemption? I assume it's pre-tax total and is it no sales tax exempt on the entire amount or a fraction of it?
The threshold is either a selling price or a MSRP of under $45,000 (I've heard different answers), and if the vehicle qualifies the first $25,000 is tax free.

·
1st Edition - Arriving in US
520 Posts
The threshold is either a selling price or a MSRP of under $45,000 (I've heard different answers), and if the vehicle qualifies the first $25,000 is tax free.
It's the selling price, not MSRP. And it's only the state portion of the sales tax (6.5%) and motor vehicle tax (.3%). Don't forget the green tax on registration! They get you one way or another!

·
74 Posts
Thanks for the sales tax info for WA. That should mean an ID.4 Pro Statement RWD at $44,495 barely qualifies the selling price of under $45,000.

·
314 Posts
I briefly test drove a premium E 4X. It was much larger than I imagined. Nice feel, only a few miles of parking lot driving (huge lot at dealer) and some four lane driving down the main strip. Too much traffic to really get a good feel. I like a soft steering wheel, but soft leather over a wheel. This felt like thin leatherette over foam, kind of odd, could be wrong, just stuck as a minor negative thought. I liked it overall. The one pedal balance was nice, closer to Chevy Volt "L" as I expected, less harsh than Bolt.

At first on the Mach E forum, the worst problem was a whine from one of the displays. But, now just a few days and tens of more deliveries, they are having 12V flat battery problems. Apparently the only way in (no mechanical key) is to open a little door in the front bumper, pull out two wires apply 12V to unlock the frunk, then you can get to the car's 12V jump points, kind of weird. Also, there are some traction error warnings, and possibly one or more cases of loss of power. One to a few back to the dealers already.

[Just a quick update, I don't want to make too many Mach E posts, more 12V batteries are failing (evening 2/15/21), one fellow had to leave his Mach E in a parking lot during a blizzard. Many EVs in my experience, have easy to get to 12V battery connection posts away from the actual battery, for jump starting with a Li Pack. Well, apparently in Mach E, it is not just getting the frunk open. You then have to start taking apart plastic body parts in the frunk just to get to the posts, let alone the little 35A battery (small 12V batteries are common in new EVs (no cranking current needed)) (hard to believe, maybe there will be an update).

Some are wondering why these problems were not identified during testing, and one forum member provided a picture of a preproduction car with a trickle charger in the frunk! Other speculation is that some batteries may have sat discharged for several months between build and delivery.

These problems will likely get sorted out, but are not good. The ID.3 12V battery problem was not this bad, and it got sorted out with a software fix.]

Damage wise, at least one shipper was confused by open holes in the battery pack and used them as tie down points for hooks, causing a jagged tear. I think the owner said the box was aluminum.

at $55+ for the 4X (big battery, AWD), they definitely come in about 10kish over the ID.4 1st (I have not priced ID.4 AWD). More comparable price wise to MY if the Fed tax, now said to be $7k comes back.

I am still open probably until my ID.4 FE is at the dealer, for the current options MME, MY, M3DMLR, and possibly new comers (but, not another Bolt or EUV). Even though I have not touched a ID.4, every comparison so far says to me best value right now by about $10k, is the ID.4 FE.

·
224 Posts
@emtonsti,

What part of the country are you in? I am surprised you where able to test drive a Mach E. My local Ford dealer still doesn’t have their Mach E to test drive.

Even though I do not plan on buying the Mach E would still like to test drive it.

·
314 Posts
@emtonsti,

What part of the country are you in? I am surprised you where able to test drive a Mach E. My local Ford dealer still doesn’t have their Mach E to test drive.

Even though I do not plan on buying the Mach E would still like to test drive it.
NY, MME are starting to show up across the country now. There are probably 5+ demos within 100 miles of me now. One easy way to track is watch cars near you on autotrader. The first pictures are stock, including some in front of a Ford marked wall or train. Then, shortly after they arrive, many dealers change to a picture in front of their building sign, or in their parking lot, or car photo area. Even with all the trackers out there, I found the autotrader picture method to the easiest.

I am still 85%+ sure I'm going with the ID.4 1st, but ... MME is a nice car, AWD anyway, plenty of power. But, big and heavy, so 3 +/- miles / kWh compared to 4+ possible with smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic EVs. I started in the right lane on a 4 lane highway 45 mph, and wanted to move left for a left turn lane later. So I was a little firmer on the go pedal out of a red light than normal, not much, no tire sound, but even in whisper mode, the entire group of cars at the light behind me was history in short order, and I never broke 45 either. Of course no one was racing, but the MME just took off. Most EVs can do that fast low speed acceleration, but it just felt well controlled and traction felt good and easily controlled.

Almost forgot the Ford Company Inventory finder, some marked "just arrived".

·
93 Posts
I just discovered that you can not get a factory installed receiver hitch on the Mach E in the US, at least for now. If this continues to be the case it would be a deal breaker for me.

·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
NY, MME are starting to show up across the country now. There are probably 5+ demos within 100 miles of me now. One easy way to track is watch cars near you on autotrader. The first pictures are stock, including some in front of a Ford marked wall or train. Then, shortly after they arrive, many dealers change to a picture in front of their building sign, or in their parking lot, or car photo area. Even with all the trackers out there, I found the autotrader picture method to the easiest.

I am still 85%+ sure I'm going with the ID.4 1st, but ... MME is a nice car, AWD anyway, plenty of power. But, big and heavy, so 3 +/- miles / kWh compared to 4+ possible with smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic EVs. I started in the right lane on a 4 lane highway 45 mph, and wanted to move left for a left turn lane later. So I was a little firmer on the go pedal out of a red light than normal, not much, no tire sound, but even in whisper mode, the entire group of cars at the light behind me was history in short order, and I never broke 45 either. Of course no one was racing, but the MME just took off. Most EVs can do that fast low speed acceleration, but it just felt well controlled and traction felt good and easily controlled.

Almost forgot the Ford Company Inventory finder, some marked "just arrived".
While certainly not the same kind of performance as Mach-e, one thing that seems to surprise a lot of reviewers is how responsive the ID.4 is off the line.

Though I've already passed on Mach-e, I'd still like to test drive one for comparison. No inventory in SF Bay Area yet.

·
101 Posts
I am still 85%+ sure I'm going with the ID.4 1st, but ... MME is a nice car, AWD anyway, plenty of power. But, big and heavy, so 3 +/- miles / kWh compared to 4+ possible with smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic EVs.
I agree that the MME seems big, but I think the curb weight of the MME and the ID.4 are pretty close at 4,400 to 4,600 pounds. I wish the ID.4 weighed less.

·
212 Posts
Weight is a plus for smooth ride and in the demolition derby. Hurts range and cornering, but all reports about handling are positive and weight is already factored in for 250 mi range, so I'm not too sussed about the weight. Weight is two edged sword in low traction--good for straight line traction, bad for skids, once you are in one.

·
314 Posts
A surprise MME FE showed up needing a home down state. Super nice dealer, no surcharge, very friendly, going to pick it up today, 200 miles, unclaimed MME FE are few and far between here.

Thanks everyone for helping us to get through COVID isolation! I might wait a couple of days to be sure all is well, and then will cx my 2nd 1st reservation. Hoping to try the equivalent of 1st Max, maybe in a few years. Good luck all, enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition arrived port-USA
374 Posts
All the best and Thanks for being one of our top contributors!

A surprise MME FE showed up needing a home down state. Super nice dealer, no surcharge, very friendly, going to pick it up today, 200 miles, unclaimed MME FE are few and far between here.

Thanks everyone for helping us to get through COVID isolation! I might wait a couple of days to be sure all is well, and then will cx my 2nd 1st reservation. Hoping to try the equivalent of 1st Max, maybe in a few years. Good luck all, enjoy!

·
63 Posts
I just did a check yesterday on Mach-E's here in Southern California. There's actually a few unclaimed ones scattered about. I doubt I will want to switch, but I might take a look just to check it out.

·
10 Posts

Congrats! Please let us know how you like MME. Your thoughtful comments will be missed.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts