Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,945 Posts
My assumption is this first wave doesn't count – it's getting a sampling of vehicles in, getting the process established, finding kinks, training techs.

When it goes into wide release, if it's a free-for-all is going to be a scheduling nightmare for service departments, so I anticipate they go in VIN "buckets" – not exactly date-of-sale order, but close enough and easy to control.

VW has experience with this – any other dieselgaters remember scrambling to get a months-out appointment spot for their buyback?

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,349 Posts
".
My lease is up at the end of April, 2024 and I am really beginning to believe the ID will go back to VW with Ver 2.4.
If you have a 2021 you have version 2.1 unless you have received the update and in that case you have 3.1.

· Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
In an effort to keep this post accurate I was just pointing out the versions available in the US for 2021 cars. Ver 2.4 is not one of them.
I was not trying to be snarky. I apologize if it came across that way. My frustration is over the top. We have owned many vehicles over the past 55 years with the ID unquestionably the best except…

2021 ID.4 Pro RWD
17 Posts
Still no update on my ID.4 Pro that I picked up in July 2021; been checking almost daily... At this point, it's a game of wait and see if I get the update first or I will sell/trade-in the car for another EV or Prius (yes, Prius).
Picked mine up in Julyh 2021 and not a peep from VW yet about the update. I just had the 12V battery difficulty that folks have posted about here and when I picked up the car last week the dealer said VW would eventually contact me about the update. So far, crickets.

19 Posts
Reading through this thread makes me wonder if software updates must be applied at the dealership. I should know this one way or the other, but I'd have assumed one could do this, on the rare occasions they appear, at home. I don't have one, but have ordered two, a '22, which is coming soon, though I probably won't take it, and a '23, which is not close, yet. But I could buy one now for MSRP or less, anyway, as inventory builds and rejections increase. If I need to bring it to the dealer for updates, I might not buy either of them.

Can they be installed via a wifi connection at home or wherever and not at the dealer?

24 Posts
I wonder if the location (city/state) of those posting is available to readers of this forum. I would find it very helpful as it would add much context to the posts.
Also, it would be helpful if the posts would include VW dealers name and locations. So much more info would be gained by the readers.

5,945 Posts
I wonder if software updates must be applied at the dealership. ... If I need to bring it to the dealer for updates, I might not buy either of them.
Yes. Maybe. No.

The goal is regular OTA updates. For the '21 model year, and software v. 2.1 in particular, the car needs a dealership visit for a few different reasons. However the intent moving forward, v. 3 software and beyond, is over the air updates via cellular (Car-Net) connection.

But if there comes a time to update specific modules that aren't accessible to the OTA system, it may require a dealer visit. That said, hopefully nothing as extensive, complex, and time consuming as what we're witnessing with the 2.1 cars.

2,437 Posts
Yes. Maybe. No.

The goal is regular OTA updates. For the '21 model year, and software v. 2.1 in particular, the car needs a dealership visit for a few different reasons. However the intent moving forward, v. 3 software and beyond, is over the air updates via cellular (Car-Net) connection.

But if there comes a time to update specific modules that aren't accessible to the OTA system, it may require a dealer visit. That said, hopefully nothing as extensive, complex, and time consuming as what we're witnessing with the 2.1 cars.
I read somewhere that the 2.1 to 2.4 update required a flash of a BMS system to enable it to support future OTA updates, but again, that’s just something I read on the forum! ;)

Reactions: maigre

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,349 Posts
I read somewhere that the 2.1 to 2.4 update required a flash of a BMS system to enable it to support future OTA updates, but again, that’s just something I read on the forum! ;)
The 2021 cars that are being updated at the dealer are going from 2.1 to 3.1. This is supposed to make them capable of receiving OTA updates.

5,945 Posts
:) That's what makes the US situation confounding. In theory, we could have taken in our 2.1, received the 2.4 BMS update and new 12 volt battery, then received the remaining via OTA (like they're doing in Europe?).

But given the complications we saw there, and the issues dealership service departments are experiencing here, that's probably the reason VW opted to do it this way.

However... 2.1 to 3.1 (more accurately 2.1 to 2.3 to 2.4 to 3.1) was the plan from the start, as of last February, before 2.4 went gold, and before any of these recent update problems were known publicly. So it's pretty clear VW knew this update was going to be a problem.

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,349 Posts
However... 2.1 to 3.1 (more accurately 2.1 to 2.3 to 2.4 to 3.1) was the plan from the start, as of last February, before 2.4 went gold, and before any of these recent update problems were known publicly. So it's pretty clear VW knew this update was going to be a problem.
That is what we heard last year but I wonder if this is the way they are doing the current update. Maybe @VW TECHNICIAN can shed some light on the process.

4,171 Posts
That is what we heard last year but I wonder if this is the way they are doing the current update. Maybe @VW TECHNICIAN can shed some light on the process.
More law strict countries like US took more time to make sure all hardware parts in question are observed or replaced for future OTA. And it gives VW service departments learning courses for technicians to get more experience working with ID family of vehicles. EU will always be first for all future updates before is going to be ready for other markets.
Same way other manufacturers are doing.
Example Tesla is doing first US before the other markets in World.

· Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
4,349 Posts
More law strict countries like US took more time to make sure all hardware parts in question are observed or replaced for future OTA. And it gives VW service departments learning courses for technicians to get more experience working with ID family of vehicles. EU will always be first for all future updates before is going to be ready for other markets.
Same way other manufacturers are doing.
Example Tesla is doing first US before the other markets in World.
So the dealer went 2.1>2.3>2.4>3.1?
Also, at what point, if any, did they do this OTA, or was it all done by download?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts