Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just set up an account to reserve a Volkswagen ID 4 for Southern California delivery in 2021. However, I had two questions:

1) Is it possible to reserve a vehicle with a pre-installed hitch on the RWD option? There didn't seem to be an option for this. Is this something that can be installed afterwards at the dealer? By the way, do people know whether the hitch on the RWD will be a 2 inch hitch? There were some indications elsewhere about its towing capacity but not the actual size. I ask because I have a bike rack I'd want to use.

2) If we reserve a vehicle online, do we have the option of leasing the vehicle or is the reservation option only for purchases? Again, wasn't sure if I missed something on the website.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks!

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
144 Posts
It is lease of purchase. You figure out the details of that with the dealer at time of delivery.

The hitch appears to be 1 1/4”. Maybe folks who have seen it in person want to pitch in?

·
74 Posts
Is it possible to reserve a vehicle with a pre-installed hitch on the RWD option? There didn't seem to be an option for this. Is this something that can be installed afterwards at the dealer? By the way, do people know whether the hitch on the RWD will be a 2 inch hitch? There were some indications elsewhere about its towing capacity but not the actual size. I ask because I have a bike rack I'd want to use.
I'm not sure this will be of much help, but I saw your message yesterday and since the response has been limited I'll tell you what I think.

As far as a pre-installed hitch option for RWD...I haven't seen that anywhere. The order guide posted by @sprylo (link) doesn't list such an option, so as currently planned I don't think there will be a factory option. Maybe this will change.

For dealer install, I'm sure it's possible but the hitch drops through a slot in the bumper. Unless all the bumpers are built with this slot (maybe covered with a temporary plate) the dealer would need to cut it themselves. It does seem reasonable that there will some type of post factory install option, either by VW or 3rd party.

I haven't seen anything that mentions size of hitch, but worst case you could always use an adapter. My guess is different than @ChristophW. I'm assuming the factory hitch is a 2" receiver, but that's just a guess.

·
244 Posts
If you dig thru all the pictures on this forum you will see one that includes a poor shot of a hitch on an ID.4. It is not a 2" hitch receiver, it is the smaller 1-1/4" hitch receiver. The US gets a receiver mount, not the drop down ball that Europe gets. It will be a class II hitch as the car is rated to tow either 2500 lbs or 2700 lbs depending on if you get the RWD or AWD option. A class I hitch is only good for 2000 lbs, class II is good for 3500 lbs. Those tow ratings require brakes on the trailer.

·
74 Posts
If you dig thru all the pictures on this forum you will see one that includes a poor shot of a hitch on an ID.4. It is not a 2" hitch receiver, it is the smaller 1-1/4" hitch receiver.
I had seen the photo before and still guessed 2". :rolleyes: After just looking at what VW offers for the Tiguan, I concur now that the hitch will be a 1-1/4".

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your replies. I agree based on the pictures online that it looks like a 1.25 inch hitch. Not a deal breaker, but hopefully they will have a factory option. I know some manufacturers will void warranties if you install your own hitch, so obviously would want to make sure there was a factory option.

·
0 Posts
Thank you for your replies. I agree based on the pictures online that it looks like a 1.25 inch hitch. Not a deal breaker, but hopefully they will have a factory option. I know some manufacturers will void warranties if you install your own hitch, so obviously would want to make sure there was a factory option.
The Order Guide has the hitch being factory installed, on both the FE and AWD. It doesn't indicate what size however.

Trailer hitch, factory-installed (up to 2,700 lbs. towing capacity) AWD Only
Trailer hitch, factory-installed (up to 2,200 lbs. towing capacity) First Edition

·
36 Posts
I talked to a VW corporate rep Fri & hitches are available on First Editions & AWD models only. A hitch is not available, factory installed, on a RWD model. SoCal bike rider here, too. :)

·
23 Posts
Hi,

I just set up an account to reserve a Volkswagen ID 4 for Southern California delivery in 2021. However, I had two questions:

1) Is it possible to reserve a vehicle with a pre-installed hitch on the RWD option? There didn't seem to be an option for this. Is this something that can be installed afterwards at the dealer? By the way, do people know whether the hitch on the RWD will be a 2 inch hitch? There were some indications elsewhere about its towing capacity but not the actual size. I ask because I have a bike rack I'd want to use.

2) If we reserve a vehicle online, do we have the option of leasing the vehicle or is the reservation option only for purchases? Again, wasn't sure if I missed something on the website.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks!
I switched from PRO S RWD to a FE last week when they opened them back up so I could get the factory hitch receiver. VWOA confirmed that you could add a hitch after purchase through your dealer, but it seems you get a different answer on that depending on who you speak to. Only problem for me is the white steering wheel on the FE. I will have to keep leather cleaner in the car so my steering wheel doesn’t get grimy looking.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
234 Posts
btw: Zaino "leather in a bottle" and Griot's Garage "leather care" are my fav's, and you also can't go wrong with more readily available Mothers products in my experience. Work well on vinyl too, so assuages my own anal white steering wheel cleanliness concerns. ;)

And back on topic, when I switched my reservation to FE last week I noted for the US market that it comes with a hitch socket (no ball).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts