Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything seems to be about the FE and Pro S. Can't find photos of Pro headlights, taillights, cloth seats, or even 19" wheels. Are such photos available? (Maybe taillights are the same or is that too much to hope for)? When I test drove an FE recently I was able to get a 2 page brochure showing the specs with the Pro and Pro S features in separate columns. Seems like the Pro has been de-contented more than I originally thought. There is no adjustable cargo floor and no back seat center armrest with passthrough for example. At least the Pro has all the safety features (like auto braking), unless if you consider adaptive front lights and low-speed cornering lights safety features. My test drive was at night and I found the pedestrian warning to be really loud. I wanted to speed up to get rid of the racket. Maybe radio on would help. The ride and comfort of the FE are great compared to my 84 K mile '17 Chevy Bolt EV, but the one pedal driving didn't seem as good. My Pro order locked on Jan 23, so I suppose it won't show up until summer. That's okay as maybe the NHTSA crash tests results will be out by then. Both the ID.4 and Mach-e get tested this year.

·
8 Posts
Everything seems to be about the FE and Pro S. Can't find photos of Pro headlights, taillights, cloth seats, or even 19" wheels. Are such photos available? (Maybe taillights are the same or is that too much to hope for)? When I test drove an FE recently I was able to get a 2 page brochure showing the specs with the Pro and Pro S features in separate columns. Seems like the Pro has been de-contented more than I originally thought. There is no adjustable cargo floor and no back seat center armrest with passthrough for example. At least the Pro has all the safety features (like auto braking), unless if you consider adaptive front lights and low-speed cornering lights safety features. My test drive was at night and I found the pedestrian warning to be really loud. I wanted to speed up to get rid of the racket. Maybe radio on would help. The ride and comfort of the FE are great compared to my 84 K mile '17 Chevy Bolt EV, but the one pedal driving didn't seem as good. My Pro order locked on Jan 23, so I suppose it won't show up until summer. That's okay as maybe the NHTSA crash tests results will be out by then. Both the ID.4 and Mach-e get tested this year.
I test drive a FE at the Roadshow yesterday. But my order would be for a Pro, and yes, I agree, finding clear information on what features will be on the car has been pretty dang impossible.

I liked the car I drove. I didn’t get a reservation for one of those. And I’d like to be able to tell if the difference in price is even remotely worth it.

It’s possible I just don’t have an early adopter temperament.

·
2 Posts
I test drive a FE at the Roadshow yesterday. But my order would be for a Pro, and yes, I agree, finding clear information on what features will be on the car has been pretty dang impossible.

I liked the car I drove. I didn’t get a reservation for one of those. And I’d like to be able to tell if the difference in price is even remotely worth it.

You can see a picture of the 19” wheels on the photos in the configuration confirmation when you pay the $400...also on this link Gradient vs non-Gradient pictures?

·
45 Posts
I am pretty sure those pictures are actually a normal Pro with the reflector headlights and no panoramic glass roof. so the "gadient" pictures are a car that doesn't really exist :) At least in the USA

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can see a picture of the 19” wheels on the photos in the configuration confirmation when you pay the $400...also on this link Gradient vs non-Gradient pictures?
Thanks on that. I can live with the 19" wheel design -- hope they are as aerodynamic as the 20's. Something else strange about the Pro. On the VW technical spec sheet on the ID.4 the column for the Pro says "tbd" for fuel economy and range, whereas the column for the 1st Edition and Pro S gives the fuel economy and the range, i.e., 250 miles. It's almost as if VW left the door open to determine a different range for the Pro. Granted the Pro weighs 115 lbs less, but the car is so heavy to begin with that that difference shouldn't affect fuel economy much. Larger wheel diameters generally can reduce fuel economy on EV's from what I've read -- something to do with launch.

·
470 Posts
@Dana,

I have a Pro AWD reserved. The only thing I am disappointed about is the removal of the folding armrest with ski hatch. Seems very odd to make a new rear seat structure that removes that feature.

Hopefully in the near future real full interior pictures of the Pro will show up.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure those pictures are actually a normal Pro with the reflector headlights and no panoramic glass roof. so the "gadient" pictures are a car that doesn't really exist :) At least in the USA
You are so right! The upper picture shows the roof as blue with black roof rails and a black C pillar. And the headlights don't look like on the FE. So that must be a photo of the Pro! The bottom picture is the mystery though. It seems to have a black roof (think panoramic) with silver roof rails and silver C pillars, so it looks like an FE or Pro S with gradient package. Except for one thing -- the headlights. The headlights in both cars might be the Pro S ones. Maybe the bottom photo is of a car sold in some other country - basically an FE without the U.S. FE headlights.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Dana,

I have a Pro AWD reserved. The only thing I am disappointed about is the removal of the folding armrest with ski hatch. Seems very odd to make a new rear seat structure that removes that feature.

Hopefully in the near future real full interior pictures of the Pro will show up.
Agreed on the ski hatch. Having a false floor in the trunk is useful sometimes too. I know as I have a Bolt LT EV which came through without that feature (like ID.4 Pro). Long objects rest on the folded down seat back at an angle instead of lying down flat.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I prefer the Pro too. The thing is the panoramic roof is likely to heat up the cabin more than steel, which means in hot weather you're running the A/C more and thereby reducing the range somewhat. Not sure how much the shade would help, maybe a little. At least VW uses a shade, unlike Tesla. If they made the FE with a steel roof and 19" wheels that would be my first choice.

·
45 Posts
I just saw one on Facebook, and I can now say that I believe the bottom picture to be a First Edition in the UK, so yes, a 1st without the US fancy headlights.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, you nailed it. When I enlarge the photos the badges on the side say "PRO" in both the upper and lower photos. The lower photo is of a PRO with a gradient package incl. black painted roof - not sold like that here. The upper photo probably shows the PRO I ordered, except mine will be white.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the example of the Pro in Moonstone Grey.
Thanks, good, clear photos! When I double click to enlarge I see the "PRO" badge in front of front door. And it has Continental tires, wider on the back than on the front.
I think VW missed a marketing opportunity. They should have put the big, lit VW badge on front on all ID.4 models - it would be like free advertising for them. And people really like the lit badge, myself included.
However, I understand it is illegal to have lit brand badges in Germany itself.

·
24 Posts
VW can be terrible with this. Looking at the Swedish website, you can't get a flat out options list or compare the different versions. You get a "some included options" highlight list for each edition but nowhere is a complete one to be found.

·
470 Posts
@Trunkenbold,

Looks like the lowest model "City" comes with the fixed LED lights like the ID.4 Pro here. Below are the updates images (no Pro badging however). BTW The City version comes with 18" wheels which can be upgraded to 19" as shown below.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Trunkenbold,

Looks like the lowest model "City" comes with the fixed LED lights like the ID.4 Pro here. Below are the updates images (no Pro badging however). BTW The City version comes with 18" wheels which can be upgraded to 19" as shown below.

View attachment 2023 View attachment 2024 View attachment 2025 View attachment 2026
This looks like the Pro as do the upper photos of the blue Pro that I think was sent by Cmcd on this link. He also sent other links that show detailed ordering instructions on ID.4 which shows everything the Pro comes with.
The taillights on all trims are the same. On the exterior the only main differences are headlights, wheels, and paint colors. As of this time I don't think many or even any rebates apply to the ID.4 as according to VW Chat today: "The ID.4 has not yet been certified as credit eligible by the IRS". The Mach e already qualifies for rebates. Also, on the fuel economy gov website the FE and Pro S are listed as 250 mile range, but site doesn't mention the unwanted sibling Pro trim. VW chat today says "The estimated range will be 250 miles on a full charge across all trims". I suppose it will all be resolved by the time my car comes in, but in the unlikely event that it isn't, I won't buy the car. I want the $7500, 2000, 1500, and 800 rebates and credits (hope I'm remembering them all right but probably not). My other choice I guess would be the Mach e. But I prefer the ID.4 for cost, wider tires, wider tires in the rear than in the front, steel roof, and probably for ride. NHTSA tests both cars this year. Don't know if EuroNCAP and/or IIHS will also test it.

·
470 Posts
This looks like the Pro as do the upper photos of the blue Pro that I think was sent by Cmcd on this link. He also sent other links that show detailed ordering instructions on ID.4 which shows everything the Pro comes with.
The taillights on all trims are the same. On the exterior the only main differences are headlights, wheels, and paint colors. As of this time I don't think many or even any rebates apply to the ID.4 as according to VW Chat today: "The ID.4 has not yet been certified as credit eligible by the IRS". The Mach e already qualifies for rebates. Also, on the fuel economy gov website the FE and Pro S are listed as 250 mile range, but site doesn't mention the unwanted sibling Pro trim. VW chat today says "The estimated range will be 250 miles on a full charge across all trims". I suppose it will all be resolved by the time my car comes in, but in the unlikely event that it isn't, I won't buy the car. I want the $7500, 2000, 1500, and 800 rebates and credits (hope I'm remembering them all right but probably not). My other choice I guess would be the Mach e. But I prefer the ID.4 for cost, wider tires, wider tires in the rear than in the front, steel roof, and probably for ride. NHTSA tests both cars this year. Don't know if EuroNCAP and/or IIHS will also test it.
The "The ID.4 has not yet been certified as credit eligible by the IRS" seems like a strange comment. I thought if it was a EV and NOT a GM or Tesla product you get the $7500 tax credit. I know there is talks bout checking the number of vehicle from 200,000 to 600,000 but I thought that any change to tax codes would be for next year.

BTW I own a VW e-Golf and got $7500 tax credit.

·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The "The ID.4 has not yet been certified as credit eligible by the IRS" seems like a strange comment. I thought if it was a EV and NOT a GM or Tesla product you get the $7500 tax credit. I know there is talks bout checking the number of vehicle from 200,000 to 600,000 but I thought that any change to tax codes would be for next year.

BTW I own a VW e-Golf and got $7500 tax credit.
I don't think this has to do with tax codes. I don't understand it but I think the EV has to be certified by US government before the government is willing to essentially shell out $7500 per vehicle. They don't want to be duped I suppose. I would guess it is more formality than substance and that the ID.4 will be certified -- just don't know when. Probably before any of us get delivery on the car. But in the age of Covid who can be sure of anything? Yeah, I got a $7500 tax credit on my '17 Bolt EV too. Some folks make too much to qualify for the credit.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
It qualifies for the federal tax credit now, check the site.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts