Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
1,081 Posts
I fully expected you to run to defend the 2.4 update and blame the issues on everyone else but VW.

That's not the point. US is the promised land of litigation. It doesn't matter if the issue is improper install by the dealer or the software itself. It's still not the owner, which means it's Volkswagen. Period.

And regardless of how "bad" it is, if in a country with a few thousand ID.x cars and on an FB group with a few thousand members there's a report of a 2.4 -issue every other day - be it small bugs, car needing to get towed or the car being in the shop for a week because the install fails - it's not a unicorn.

I fully assume VW to be able to remedy the situation, and I also wouldn't dare to risk that in the US after so much delays. More delay is better for their rep if that leads to smooth update followed by 3.0 OTA soon, instead of the limited mess that is 2.4 update in Europe and OTA 3.0 not-working in Germany and not being available anywhere else.
And how do you explain why dozens of updates run perfectly at my dealer and why other dealers make a mess of it.
And I'm not running to protect VW but those maybe 10% failed updates that eventually succeed can't be called a mess

I'm afraid the NA dealers will make a mess of it

And I can already mention the names of the forum members who will post complaints with a possible update

·
381 Posts
Thought no American would ever buy a VW after the so-called dieselgate
I don't personally know anyone here in the U.S. that said they'd never buy a VW again because of dieselgate. In fact, I know several people who bought used VW diesel cars because they were much cheaper after the fracas. For the most part, the only parties really upset by VW's deception on the emissions cheating were the government and the environmentalists. Most ordinary folks didn't take much interest one way or the other -- the issue didn't cause driveability problems, or leave them stranded, plus it gave them an excellent deal if they wanted to trade in their car.

·
381 Posts
As for the software update here in the U.S., I put it in the "annoying but not surprising" category. Yes, I was promised OTA updates when I bought the car -- the first update was supposed to have been Autumn 2021, but that has obviously come and gone many times with nary a peep from VW corporate.

That's the biggest issue for many of us -- VW's inability to keep promises combined with the lack of communication. The problem when corporations aren't forthcoming about a situation is that people speculate and make up their own answers -- which are usually worse for the company than what is actually going on. For those of us here in America, VW's already made the sale and got our money. They'd be better off just telling us 2021 owners that, "sorry, we've changed our mind about giving you an update, you're not getting one" or that "yes, we still plan on giving you an update and here's the schedule" whether that is imminent or still many more months off.

I called VW corporate here in the U.S. a week or two ago. The gal dutifully looked up all the info about my car and then told me she had no clue as to what was happening, or not, and when, regarding software updates for 2021 cars. She tried to give the impression that this was a new issue to her, but I told her I wasn't buying that story and that the online discussion groups and Facebook were full of complaints and gossip regarding the issue. She said she'd pass that on to management -- where it will get a shrug of the shoulders and a "let them eat cake" response, and they'll go back to whatever else is really important to them at the moment. ;)

·
1,081 Posts
Because that is how bad software has bugs. Bad software isn't always broken for everyone. And software broken for 10% is really bad.
My question was why the same software at one dealer has no problems and at another it does.
Soon you will tell me that the cars have been selected without any problems at my dealer.
When Android auto releases an update, different brands of smartphones have connection problems.
So Android Auto only makes bad software?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
2,144 Posts
Because that is how bad software has bugs. Bad software isn't always broken for everyone. And software broken for 10% is really bad.
It isn't even bad software. From what I have read, VW sourced modules from multiple suppliers, and not all modules behave exactly the same. So on one car the update might be perfectly fine, and on another car that is nominally the same the same update will fail. In some cases, VW can check for certain conditions and handle the update slightly differently if needed. But if they attempt an upgrade and brick a module, they have no choice but to replace the module.

What we don't really know is the extent to which these differences have been resolved as the model year went along - are the problem cars only among the very first ones manufactured, or is it spread out through all cars.

I hate to say it, but I think you’re right.

I have a feeling that 2023s will be in people’s hands long before we even hear anything specific about an update for our 2021s, much less actually get an update.
The bugs aren't bad enough that I would really consider going this route myself. But maybe by 2024/2025/2026 time frame I might give it a thought. Who knows what else the future holds - maybe better batteries? Maybe something else.

·
220 Posts
My question was why the same software at one dealer has no problems and at another it does.
Soon you will tell me that the cars have been selected without any problems at my dealer.
When Android auto releases an update, different brands of smartphones have connection problems.
I can't tell you why one dealer has a problem and another doesn't. I am highly skeptical of your claim that your dealer has a perfect record. It's not in their best interest to tell you they are having problems, they want you to trust them with your car, so they're going to tell you they're great at it.

But let's say your dealer is perfect and others have issues. That is still a problem for VW, it still shows that the company as a whole doesn't have the logistical capacity to update the software on their cars. And to be fair, Germans have always undervalued logistics.

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
1,109 Posts
Q: The bug where the car shouts at you on startup "EMERGENCY CALLS CANNOT BE MADE" - Is this an issue with the software version? Or is it something else? Oh, I initially got yelled at in Spanish, then after a week it changed to English.

Any clarity there?

·
1,081 Posts
I can't tell you why one dealer has a problem and another doesn't. I am highly skeptical of your claim that your dealer has a perfect record. It's not in their best interest to tell you they are having problems, they want you to trust them with your car, so they're going to tell you they're great at it.

But let's say your dealer is perfect and others have issues. That is still a problem for VW, it still shows that the company as a whole doesn't have the logistical capacity to update the software on their cars. And to be fair, Germans have always undervalued logistics.
My dealer is 2 km from where I live.
When I bring the car in, I go home on foot.
My neighbor across the street works at this dealership and is cooperating with the updates.

·
578 Posts
Completely irrelevant. Volkswagen chooses and authorizes the dealers to do the update. Then they tell the customer where to go to get that update. The customer has no option other than the dealers chosen by VW. Therefore VW is responsible for the dealers.

Again, completely irrelevant. Google (or Alphabet) does the software only. They do not guarantee compatibility with hardware. Google does not initiate the update for anyone. Samsung is responsible for their hardware (phones) and software (the android instance in their phones). I believe Volvo has Android Auto. Again, Volvo decides if the new Android Auto will be released to their cars and they are responsible for that side.

Volkswagen is doing their own software and hardware. Your comparison is silly.

Apple would work - except that if Apple iOS update bricked Apple iPhones, then yes, people would say Apple released shit software at least in that instance.

·
578 Posts
And I'm not running to protect VW but those maybe 10% failed updates that eventually succeed can't be called a mess
I don't think it's 10 %, I believe it's lower, but a chance of 1/10 of actually making the car worse and losing functions that were just fine before is huge.

Or, if 10 % failure rate is acceptable, then you probably think that US 2021 owners can go pound sand with their 2.1. The number of cars with 2.3, 2.4, 3.0 and 3.1 and the fact that ID.4:s are relatively rare in the US - and even there, the number of cars with 3.1 keeps rising - that they are pretty close to the 10 % of all ID. cars.

Which is an acceptable failure rate according to you.

·
1,081 Posts
Completely irrelevant. Volkswagen chooses and authorizes the dealers to do the update. Then they tell the customer where to go to get that update. The customer has no option other than the dealers chosen by VW. Therefore VW is responsible for the dealers.

Again, completely irrelevant. Google (or Alphabet) does the software only. They do not guarantee compatibility with hardware. Google does not initiate the update for anyone. Samsung is responsible for their hardware (phones) and software (the android instance in their phones). I believe Volvo has Android Auto. Again, Volvo decides if the new Android Auto will be released to their cars and they are responsible for that side.

Volkswagen is doing their own software and hardware. Your comparison is silly.

Apple would work - except that if Apple iOS update bricked Apple iPhones, then yes, people would say Apple released shit software at least in that instance.
The customer is free to choose at which dealer he would like to have this update carried out.
VW tells the owner to make an appointment with a dealer of his choice.

·
578 Posts
The customer is free to choose at which dealer he would like to have this update carried out.
VW tells the owner to make an appointment with a dealer of his choice.
...out of the selection of dealers VW has approved, authorized and therefore deemed to be competent to do the update. You can't go to any shop you like.

If the issue is the dealers as you claim, VW should not authorize them to do the update at all.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,627 Posts
Samsung is responsible for their hardware (phones) and software (the android instance in their phones).
Don't forget the carrier – they like to get in the middle of things, remove features, add bloat, cause additional delays.

I do expect more of an Apple or Pixel experience here with VW as a one stop shop, except that VW seems to find themselves in a predicament obstensibly of their making.

·
578 Posts
I do expect more of an Apple or Pixel experience here with VW as a one stop shop, except that VW seems to find themselves in a predicament obstensibly of their making.
I don't use Apple products, and I'm not going to touch any hardware by Google, but that is the one thing going for them: a closed system where they know the hardware and the variations of, and can - and at least Apple seems to, no idea about Pixel - be therefore able to release working updates without surprises.

Compared to Microsoft, who needs to try to ensure that Windows etc. runs on "a PC", which can be literally any mutation of the millions of combinations possible.

·
1,081 Posts
Please do. I mean you already started with the strawmen , so why not.
I don't feel like having endless discussions that won't solve anything anyway.
I'm just telling my personal experience after having owned different Volkswagens for 36 years.
This ID4 meets my expectations 100%.
Since March after receipt I have already received 3 OTA updates and the 2.4 Software update has been installed perfectly as expected without any problems.
Now I wait carefree without haste my turn to receive the 3.0 update when VW decides they are ready.
Is it this year or next does not interest me at all because it will not make my driving pleasure any different.
Personally if I were an NA owner with the 2.1 Software and I experienced problems I would either sell it and order a 23 model or if my confidence is broken like some here on the forum leave VW and buy another brand.
Daily complaining like a small child on some forum is not for me.

·
1,383 Posts
I don't feel like having endless discussions that won't solve anything anyway.
I'm just telling my personal experience after having owned different Volkswagens for 36 years.
This ID4 meets my expectations 100%.
Since March after receipt I have already received 3 OTA updates and the 2.4 Software update has been installed perfectly as expected without any problems.
Now I wait carefree without haste my turn to receive the 3.0 update when VW decides they are ready.
Is it this year or next does not interest me at all because it will not make my driving pleasure any different.
Personally if I were an NA owner with the 2.1 Software and I experienced problems I would either sell it and order a 23 model or if my confidence is broken like some here on the forum leave VW and buy another brand.
The danger for a company is when the customers feel that it is useless to complain and fall silent. That is when they are looking for alternative products and are getting ready to leave your product behind.

·
578 Posts
No, your jam most definitely is defending VW to the point of irrationality and, when even that fails, propping up strawmen.

The fact that your 2.4 update - as verifyiably did dozens of others - went fine doesn't mean VW has problems with it. They do.

The fact that you claim that it's not VW, it's the dealers, is irrelevant. It's dealers chosen by VW and VW's responsibility.

The fact that you are happy with your car has nothing to do with the fact that VW is struggling with OTA. The issues remain.

Maybe take your own advice. You requested that if I don't like your "opinion", I shouldn't reply to you.

Maybe you should stop replying to anyone who have a valid criticism regarding how VW handles the updates. You clearly don't like it.

Oh I have no stake in this. I'm not US. I'll never own a VW with 2.1, 2.3 or 2.4. I'm completely happy with my order with VW, with the exception of the delay and the only thing I criticise VW about regarding that is their jumps-all-over estimates on week of manufacture.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts