Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,906 Posts
At this time, only if you throw your phone at the window to smash it.

Hopefully we get unlock functionality from the app, and there are supposedly new features to be added after the new software is installed on our cars, but there have been no hints or promises specifically about door locking.

·
1,255 Posts
You cannot lock your keys inside the car, it won't lock, I just tested it on mine.
Are you sure? I saw it lock the other day when I touched the driver’s door handle lock triangle with a key in my pocket and my wife’s key was in her purse on the floor in front of the passenger seat. Maybe it was a glitch? Or maybe it allows you to lock one key inside if you have another with you?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
Are you sure? I saw it lock the other day when I touched the driver’s door handle lock triangle with a key in my pocket and my wife’s key was in her purse on the floor in front of the passenger seat. Maybe it was a glitch? Or maybe it allows you to lock one key inside if you have another with you?
Yes it will lock with that 2 key combo, then it unlocks soon after. Leaving your car unlocked with a key inside ready to steal.

·
133 Posts
It definitely will let you lock one key inside if you lock it with the other key outside. Done this at least a couple times. I do hope it stayed locked after we left? Have to test this more I guess.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
I do hope it stayed locked after we left?
I just tested this too. It does stay locked if its your 2nd key you locked inside. But then its no problem since you have the 2nd key on you to unlock it. The problem would be if a thief comes by and sees the purse they often break a window to steal the purse, and BONUS they can steal the entire car.

I was remembering my Jeep where it unlocks right away if you leave the 2nd key inside.

·
3,906 Posts
The system isn't foolproof. It's designed not to let the doors lock with a key inside, but there are blind spots for the internal antennas, and if you stash it next to a cell phone, the key's signal can effectively be "jammed."

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
if you stash it next to a cell phone, the key's signal can effectively be "jammed."
How would you lock it in this case where there is no signal from the FOB? Mine won't let me lock the door without having the key on my body, or press the FOB button.

·
3,906 Posts
How would you lock it in this case where there is no signal from the FOB? Mine won't let me lock the door without having the key on my body, or press the FOB button.
The trunk is the big one.

·
1,255 Posts
The trunk definitely would be hard! I’ve had my trunk refuse to close when the key is in my pocket if I’m standing too close when i push the button…

·
1,255 Posts
I just tested this too. It does stay locked if its your 2nd key you locked inside. But then its no problem since you have the 2nd key on you to unlock it. The problem would be if a thief comes by and sees the purse they often break a window to steal the purse, and BONUS they can steal the entire car.

I was remembering my Jeep where it unlocks right away if you leave the 2nd key inside.
That’s interesting and pretty smart! (And yes, you should never leave a purse visible!) But our old Subaru wasn’t smart enough to lock one key in the car if you had the other one.

·
9 Posts
I guess I need a step by step to test this one if its a problem. I still don't see how to lock my key inside from the trunk.
I just did this over the weekend, had my fob in a bag. Vehicle was locked, I went and opened the trunk, can't remember if I kicked open or used my hand, placed the bag in the trunk and then pushed the button for the trunk closure. After the trunk was closed it locked, and all the doors remained locked as well. Luckily my wife was with me and had her fob, we were out of state and it would have been a nightmare if she didn't have hers with her.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,880 Posts
I just did this over the weekend, had my fob in a bag. Vehicle was locked, I went and opened the trunk, can't remember if I kicked open or used my hand, placed the bag in the trunk and then pushed the button for the trunk closure. After the trunk was closed it locked, and all the doors remained locked as well. Luckily my wife was with me and had her fob, we were out of state and it would have been a nightmare if she didn't have hers with her.
I went and tested this on mine. If I follow your steps and leave the FOB in the trunk, my car won't close the trunk, it simply gives a beep. Maybe you had your wife with the 2nd FOB close the trunk or was nearby?

·
9 Posts
I went and tested this on mine. If I follow your steps and leave the FOB in the trunk, my car won't close the trunk, it simply gives a beep. Maybe you had your wife with the 2nd FOB close the trunk or was nearby?
She was about 70 ft away in the house and her fob was in her purse. It was a moment of panic for me and she was oblivious.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts