Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no affiliation with this video but it does illustrate a flaw with VW's decision to limit FREE Electrify America charging sessions to 30 minutes starting with the 2022 model year. What if the chargers are broken or serving up lower power? This person had to stay plugged in for over 60 minutes just to get to 70-ish percent state of charge.

They also had to switch chargers a few times to find one that actually (somewhat) worked. I know we have all been there. So you plug into a bad charger and get 2 minutes of FREE charging and then move to a charger that actually works but now you have to pay for it? Or maybe call EA and complain and try to get the session for FREE anyway? Seems like a potential PR nightmare for VW.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,388 Posts
The flip side of it is that there are people that were charging to 100% even though they didn't really need to be. Just because they could, and just because it was free, and it was hogging a charger that someone else might have needed.

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a point for sure and perhaps there is a better solution like 80% SOC free but if you want to go past 80% you pay.

Regardless, I have a feeling right now, today, Electrify America and VW need to be more focused on making sure the chargers work and offering early adopters peace of mind, not limitations. Just my own opinion as someone who only uses EA chargers on road trips where I need them to be reliable. I charge at home 99% of the time.

·
662 Posts
I saw a Taycan at the local EA station Sunday. He was plugged in and charging to 100%. Unluckily for him/her they plugged into a 350 kW charger that I know is nerfed to 35kW. No edible food in walking distance though plenty of shopping and restrooms. He/she was 4 minutes into the 10 minute grace period when I left. Hey if he/she can afford a Taycan a few bucks in idle fees means little.

·
271 Posts
My view is that free charging of any kind is a nice perk, and I personally feel fortunate to have this perk in any form, even a limited one. I don’t understand the sense of entitlement that leads a person to be mad about getting something for free, even if it does come with limitations.

Practically speaking, once the 30 free minutes expire, why not just pay for whatever extra you need and be thankful for the free electrons? VW didn’t have to offer any free charging at all, btw, but I can only imagine the stink that would’ve caused. Sigh…

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,126 Posts
"HUGE MISTAKE!" I don't know 'bout that, I'd say we have to let the chips fall before we can call it that. With the time restriction, VW is putting the ID.4 in company with Polestar, the Mercedes EQS, the Porsche Taycan, and Hyundai's Ioniq 5, all who have similarly structured free charging / 30 minute limits. I suppose we could follow their respective forums to get a glimpse of what frustrations are being expressed. But calling the revised perk a failure at this point seems premature. New buyers will probably look at it as icing on the cake.

·
209 Posts
That policy is making me think it might be worth going after a refused 2021 model instead of waiting for a 2022 model. Assuming that the unlimited charging applies to the 2021.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
212 Posts
I saw a Taycan at the local EA station Sunday. He was plugged in and charging to 100%. Unluckily for him/her they plugged into a 350 kW charger that I know is nerfed to 35kW. No edible food in walking distance though plenty of shopping and restrooms. He/she was 4 minutes into the 10 minute grace period when I left. Hey if he/she can afford a Taycan a few bucks in idle fees means little.
Unfortunately if it's free charging holiday sessions (started 12/22 or 12/23 and last until 1/2 I believe), there are no idle fees. EA is offering free charging to all until January 2, 2022 and does not require an account to activate charging. So there's no way of paying idle fees, you can leave your car plugged in as long as you want. That's the downside of the "free charging" for holidays.

·
662 Posts
That policy is making me think it might be worth going after a refused 2021 model instead of waiting for a 2022 model. Assuming that the unlimited charging applies to the 2021.
Sure, you've got today and tomorrow. No idea if it is sold by 2021 rules come Jan 1st.

·
209 Posts
Yeah also maybe the dealer would be happy to sell one more car in 2021?

·
Waiting for a RWD Blue ProS w/ Light interior. Ordered Sept 4, 2021.
222 Posts
I ordered last September, car is built but still parked at the factory. Should arrive here in Jan? Feb?

I wonder whether I'll get the 30 min (2022 deal) or the unlimited (2021 deal). I figured it will probably be 30 minute limited because of the delivery time. Oh well, I will still charge in my garage for most things, and just use EA for road trips to Vegas or Phoenix.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
502 Posts
I think they'd have been better to limit it to 100kWh per month (or whatever) to mitigate excessive use.

IMO free rapid-charging promotes bad behaviour whereby people treat their BEV like an ICEV and make charging an errand then stand there while it charges. Rapid charging should be for rare long trips, everyday charging should be done at home or work.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,126 Posts
I ordered last September, car is built but still parked at the factory. Should arrive here in Jan? Feb?
All indications are this is tired to model year, not production date or delivery date. I can't imagine you'll fall under the 2022 revision unless your ID.4 was built last week at the start of the new production run.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
I think they'd have been better to limit it to 100kWh per month (or whatever) to mitigate excessive use.

IMO free rapid-charging promotes bad behaviour whereby people treat their BEV like an ICEV and make charging an errand then stand there while it charges. Rapid charging should be for rare long trips, everyday charging should be done at home or work.
I gather there are people out there who have delayed installation of an EVSE since they figure they just get free charging from EA.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
212 Posts

100kWh seems low.. That's equivalent to roughly 300 miles? I would assume an average American drives around 1,000-1,200 miles a month.

Free charging was a selling point, at least to me. Although I do have an EVSE installed at home, I prefer charging at EA because it's free and close to my workplace. If there wasn't any free charging, I would probably chose an alternative vehicle.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
502 Posts
I gather there are people out there who have delayed installation of an EVSE since they figure they just get free charging from EA.
VW have tied a noose around these people's necks. Incentivising them to have a crappy BEV experience.

The point of a BEV is to spend zero time charging and zero time thinking about charging. Because every morning you wake up to a full battery. Rapid charging is for rare, long trips.

·
502 Posts
100kWh seems low.. That's equivalent to roughly 300 miles? I would assume an average American drives around 1,000-1,200 miles a month.

Free charging was a selling point, at least to me. Although I do have an EVSE installed at home, I prefer charging at EA because it's free and close to my workplace. If there wasn't any free charging, I would probably chose an alternative vehicle.
Yeah maybe 1000kWh total over the first 3 year might have been a better idea?

Can't you think of something better to do with your time rather than drive to a rapid charger and wait for the car to charge?

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Can't you think of something better to do with your time rather than drive to a rapid charger and wait for the car to charge?
That's what ICE car drivers are used to. Typically it doesn't take that long unless there is a line (i.e. Costco). So a lot of new BEV drivers just assume that this is how you are supposed to do it.

Apartment/condo residents still have issues however - they might be stuck with DCFC for an interim period unless/until they get charging at home or at work.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts