Volkswagen ID Forum banner
141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,189 Posts
That's exactly what my electrician told me in 1985 when I updated my 60 amp service to 200! :)
Lol, yeah -- I can't believe the house I'm fixing up now started with a six-slot fuse panel. But at the same time, everything has been getting more efficient. The building square footage calculation was previously used for calculating lighting. With LEDs, that's but a drop in the bucket of the total load -- almost to the point it feels unnecessary. Appliances, particularly refrigerators have become severely more efficient. A 1970's fridge used 5x the energy of today, and even a year 2000 fridge used 2x the electricity.

But regardless, I wouldn't throw 400A at a house "just because," I'd want to run the calcs and determine what it really needs, rounding up for good measure.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
I didn't mean to stir up so much discussion about stoves! But:

• We had a house with a 60 amp service and a relay that could switch between stove and dryer. Not unusual in older houses.
  • Plenty of people in New England, particularly in the Italian and Portuguese communities, have "show" stoves in their kitchens that are never turned on, and "cooking" stoves in the basement.
  • When you have a household battery in your garage, all the old amperage calculations have to be re-done.

Bottom line is that as we move towards electrification of everything in our houses, the 200 amp service of today is not going to be enough. Consider a typical three-stall garage in houses today with an RV, a pickup, and a big sedan--all electric--plus a motorcycle. And then that big household battery, and solar panels, and a heat pump, not to mention "granny flats" (tiny houses in the back yards) with another set of appliances... Maybe 400 amps should be the standard service connection going forward?
There is at least one area of the UK where the DNO (company that owns the power lines) has decided to install 100A 3-phase to every new build house. That would enable a total drain of 72kW meaning 22kW AC BEV charging can be comfortably accommodated.

·
1,683 Posts
From what I've heard, the 2022 models with the 3.0 update will be charging faster, and the 5-80% is only supposed to take 31 minutes. Personally, I'm rarely at EA for more than 30 minutes anyways, I like to keep my battery between 20-80% SOC. It shouldn't be that big of a deal for buyers getting the 2022 model year, and like so many have stated, it's FREE.
Winter will be tough to get within 30 minutes window enough energy for next charging location . ...and even Tesla on Tesla location with pre heating requires most of the time over 30 minutes window .

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
Winter will be tough to get within 30 minutes window enough energy for next charging location . ...and even Tesla on Tesla location with pre heating requires most of the time over 30 minutes window .
Don't forget drivers will be allowed to charge for longer than 30 mins! Just that the first 30 mins will be free!

·
ID4 AWD Pro
244 Posts
I didn't mean to stir up so much discussion about stoves! But:

• We had a house with a 60 amp service and a relay that could switch between stove and dryer. Not unusual in older houses.
  • Plenty of people in New England, particularly in the Italian and Portuguese communities, have "show" stoves in their kitchens that are never turned on, and "cooking" stoves in the basement.
  • When you have a household battery in your garage, all the old amperage calculations have to be re-done.

Bottom line is that as we move towards electrification of everything in our houses, the 200 amp service of today is not going to be enough. Consider a typical three-stall garage in houses today with an RV, a pickup, and a big sedan--all electric--plus a motorcycle. And then that big household battery, and solar panels, and a heat pump, not to mention "granny flats" (tiny houses in the back yards) with another set of appliances... Maybe 400 amps should be the standard service connection going forward?
Or maybe more frequent outage when the grid overload...

·
262 Posts
I plugged in at 39% SOC with a target of 80%. Due to cold weather or the charger being throttled, it took more than 30 minutes to get to 80%. If I'd started out at say 20% I wouldn't have made it to even 80% without pay to play kicking in. Oh well.

·
32 Posts
It seems like in the typical charging session most of the kwh going into the battery would occur early in the charging session within the the 30 minute limit for free electricity. The charging rate would be much slower as you approach 80%-90% SOC and the kwh paid for proportionally lower part of the overall charge.
Not that it would matter much in my case. The nearest EA station is 65 miles away and we don't do many long road trips that have EA stations.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
462 Posts
I’ve done 26 EA sessions and 7 of them were longer than 30 minutes, only 1 of which I went to 100%, as a test. If VW/EA could ensure we get full charging speed, the 30 minute limit wouldn’t be that much of an inconvenience (just pay for the instances when you need to go over).

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
VW knows what they're doing wrt reducing the duration of free charging in USA MY2022+. The "free EA 3-year unlimited duration" was somewhat marketing enticing for inaugural owners and more especially those leasing, but [predictably] not as much EA use, nor as long durations when used, as many would have thought.

Most charge at home, most of the time, anyway: What is your primary source for charging?

·
533 Posts
Don't forget the new software comes with better battery management and faster max charge rate.

·
91 Posts
I imagine that after 30 minutes you will start paying so no interruptions should happen. Also what if it’s interrupted you will just plug it in again and have another free 30 minutes session…
Doesn't work that way. After 30 minutes unplug and have to wait 1 hour for another charge

·
287 Posts
Lol, how about "FREE! 30 minutes OR 80%¹"

¹ whichever comes first 🥺​
That's a policy that would move folks along.
Probably too complex. LOL

I say 80% because that's what VW wants people to charge to most of the time anyway. Two birds, one stone.

And, if one goes on a road trip, paying up to 20% (so 15 kWh) per charge (so about $5) is not too bad for the few segments where you actually need to be above 80%. Problem with 30 min is that you may not reach 80%.

·
533 Posts
The big question is what happens if you want to switch to another plug (perhaps the one you are using is not making good connection and is charging slowly).
I guess if you charge at one stall for 10mins then switch to another you’ll have 20mins still left.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts