Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people took delivery of their ID.4 with a non-working SOS button?

Our SOS button was non-operative when we arrived home from picking up our ID.4. I've spend hours on the phone with Car-Net because we also cannot get the hotspot to activate (our "buy plans" section shows two hotspot plans active, but no data flows).

In the process of trying to resolve that issue, I call Car-Net and they tell me there was a recent policy change and they must be contacted via the SOS button to prove ownership. And that they cannot activate the SOS, that must be done via the dealership. I've contacted two dealerships and one didn't have anyone available when I went in. And the one where we purchased the car from says they've called Car-Net and cannot get answers.

Car-Net tells me the SOS button is separate from the "Safe and Secure", you don't need Safe and Secure to have an active SOS button.

In addition VW Customer Care, has no clue, nor are they helpful, and the best care they can offer is to followup with you after you have an appointment with a dealer that has no clue what to do. It didn't help that call I was on with Customer Care, kept dropping, they said, "yeah, our phone system is bad" <eyes roll>

Is your SOS button working?

·
286 Posts
I believe that the SOS button is a subscription service selected during the purchase process. Tweedledee, Tweedledum, and Chucklehead at CarNet told me to press the button when I had problems linking a month ago. I also registered for Verizon’s unlimited data plan and so far only have the sample data.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
Unless they changed it recently, SOS button without the Safe & Secure subscription will just put a prompt on the infotainment screen to call an 800 number.

Green light next to the button means it is "working" (should be green even without the Safe & Secure subscription). Red or no light means there is either a connectivity or provisioning problem.

Reactions: M.B and TPG

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that the SOS button is a subscription service selected during the purchase process.
Unless they changed it recently, SOS button without the Safe & Secure subscription will just put a prompt on the infotainment screen to call an 800 number.
The dealer (sales and service) insisted there was nothing they could do remotely, they needed to plug in and download the diagnostics, keep the car (to their credit they did offer a loaner), and go back and forth with VW Engineering to diagnose the problem, and order parts if necessary. I setup the appointment for next week... since the vehicle is currently on a 1600 mile road-trip from Southern California to Oregon and back.

Car-net insisted there was nothing they could do to activate the button, it had to be done at a dealership.

VW Customer Care did not know that the SOS button was a paid service only, and insisted I could only be help via an appointment at the dealership.

Froggy and xcaliburinhand are correct. Kudos, you know more than VW Customer Care (ID.4 group), Car-net, and the Dealership combined.

I can be somewhat impatient (guess that's why I'm beta tester for VW), so I purchased the "Safe and Secure" as a test (there is a 30 day cancellation option). Guess what, within moments the SOS button worked and called the car-net help line.

What has been so frustrating is the lack of knowledge about this item from the people who should know first.

BTW, the ID.4 has been amazing on the road-trip, there is so much to love about this car.

·
286 Posts
Glad to see that it’s working out for you. This forum has been a blessing while I have been my areas beta tester.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S
9 Posts

Green light next to the button means it is "working" (should be green even without the Safe & Secure subscription). Red or no light means there is either a connectivity or provisioning problem.
Can you confirm for me what your SOS button looks like? Mine is a red button that just brings up the generic call 1800 message. I got the same error saying SOS Error briefly, and then it went away, but the button is still red.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you confirm for me what your SOS button looks like? Mine is a red button that just brings up the generic call 1800 message. I got the same error saying SOS Error briefly, and then it went away, but the button is still red.
The button should be red, but if your sos module is cellular connected there is a small rectangular light in front of it that should be green.

The sos button will not be usable until you subscribe to the “safe and secure” package, in car-net.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
On-Star and other manufacturer emergency call systems are similar (although the premium brands extend complimentary service far longer).
The button should be red, but if your sos module is cellular connected there is a small rectangular light in front of it that should be green.

The sos button will not be usable until you subscribe to the “safe and secure” package, in car-net.

·
296 Posts
In Europe these services are mandatory on each car. The sos button always connects you to emergency services, same if you have a big accident, than it connects to the emergency services too and automatically gives the location you are, etc

this is mandated by European legislation

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
But you're also denied tablesaw Dado blade sets. Not as safe on this side of the pond. ;)
In Europe these services are mandatory on each car. The sos button always connects you to emergency services, same if you have a big accident, than it connects to the emergency services too and automatically gives the location you are, etc. This is mandated by European legislation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts