Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW cannot directly sell a foreign model through a VW dealership, but it seems there may still be a way. I don't know if I would do it, or could afford it, but here is a rough list of how to import a non U.S. ID.4 -

Find an ID.4 you want, get the VIN number, and contact VW and tell them you want to import it to the U.S. and ask if the VIN is U.S. compliant. Then contact a U.S. "NHTSA registered importer". The importer can go over what if anything is not compliant and discuss possible modifications to make it compliant. Or, even if compliant with no modifications, guide you through the customs forms and procedures. One of the most common compliance problems is the U.S. required TPMS tire pressure monitor system (may be less of an issue for 2021 models).

More intriguing (I have a gut feeling importing from the EU would be expensive) is possibly later buying an ID.4 from Canada, especially because they are getting the heat pump for less range hit during winter driving. Apparently once U.S. compliant, and with the proper forms (probably around $500 or less for the importer's assistance as needed), you can go to Canada, pick up the car, and drive it back home to the U.S. The Canadian ID.4 (I think) is not available until next year. My limited understanding is that cars are more expensive in CA, but apparently at times the exchange rate might almost compensate for the difference.

We have some members from Canada. Do you ever buy a U.S. car from a U.S. dealer for Canada? Do you know of U.S. drivers buying in Canada for U.S. use?

·
12 Posts
Parallel import is particularly challenging for EVs. It can be done, but there are particular downsides.

US and Europe charge plugs are slightly different. This difference applies to both AC charging and DCFC.

Adapters exist. But there's very few buyers of such adapters, and they may or may not work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts