Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FE arrived last weekend and my wife and I were eager to see it. On Saturday we were able to drive the Volvo XC40 Recharge in the morning and then later in the evening the ID.4 was ready.

I liked the exterior styling of the ID.4. The dash and multimedia screens are well laid out, but my wife thought the center screen was too small. Some of the factors that turned us off:
  • the center screen too small
  • the steering wheel adjustment is made by hand and not paired to the keyfob. (I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'1", so the steering wheel has to be moved every time the driver changes)
  • In sport mode, the acceleration is modest at best (sorry, but currently we have a model S and have grown accustomed to being able to blend into traffic quickly). In eco mode, acceleration was very weak.
  • I felt that VW didn't bring their best game to the interior surfaces. We've had 5 VW's over the years and the interior of the id.4 was sub-par for VW. My wife brushed her hand across the center console and her finger nails scuffed the hard plastic very easily. I didn't feel like it would hold up well to our normal use. The seats were okay, but not as comfortable as our 5 year old Tesla.
  • We don't use the Tesla frunk on a daily basis, but some items you'll eventually need get stored in there. The VW doesn't have a frunk, despite the appearance they could have rearranged the hood compartment a little to make room for one.
  • My wife didn't like the white steering wheel and dash surround.

I was hoping the VW would be "ahead" of the 5 year old Tesla, but that's not the case. I'm not a Tesla Fanboy. I'm wanting VW to succeed, but for now we'll have to wait for the AWD/Pro version at least to see if the added acceleration at brings the car to "on par" with the 5 year old model S.

FWIW, the Volvo was nicer inside and has similar acceleration to the Tesla, but the limited range (208 miles) wasn't worth the premium over the VW.

I'm going to wait to look at the VW AWD/pro version and/or the Audi Q4 etron.

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
56 Posts
Completely understand. I'm also waiting for the AWD version to see if acceleration improves. I'm in no rush.
I was underwhelmed during my test drive (by the lack of power).
But I do like the styling, and I love that Dusk Blue color.
The white interior accents will go away soon enough!

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
VW says 5.8 seconds to 60 for the AWD model. For what it's worth, VW says 7.8 seconds to 60 for the RWD model, but testing has shown 7.5 seconds to be more accurate, so if that holds true, it's likely the AWD model will be somewhere closer to 5-5.5 seconds to 60. That being said, it definitely won't match any AWD Tesla's, nor is it intended to given its price point and target audience (those coming from ICE compact SUV's).

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
56 Posts
VW says 5.8 seconds to 60 for the AWD model. For what it's worth, VW says 7.8 seconds to 60 for the RWD model, but testing has shown 7.5 seconds to be more accurate, so if that holds true, it's likely the AWD model will be somewhere closer to 5-5.5 seconds to 60. That being said, it definitely won't match any AWD Tesla's, nor is it intended to given its price point and target audience (those coming from ICE compact SUV's).
Those are very good numbers 👍🏻
It doesn’t need to match a Tesla. It just needs more oomph.

·
267 Posts
My FE arrived last weekend and my wife and I were eager to see it. On Saturday we were able to drive the Volvo XC40 Recharge in the morning and then later in the evening the ID.4 was ready.

I liked the exterior styling of the ID.4. The dash and multimedia screens are well laid out, but my wife thought the center screen was too small. Some of the factors that turned us off:
  • the center screen too small
  • the steering wheel adjustment is made by hand and not paired to the keyfob. (I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'1", so the steering wheel has to be moved every time the driver changes)
  • In sport mode, the acceleration is modest at best (sorry, but currently we have a model S and have grown accustomed to being able to blend into traffic quickly). In eco mode, acceleration was very weak.
  • I felt that VW didn't bring their best game to the interior surfaces. We've had 5 VW's over the years and the interior of the id.4 was sub-par for VW. My wife brushed her hand across the center console and her finger nails scuffed the hard plastic very easily. I didn't feel like it would hold up well to our normal use. The seats were okay, but not as comfortable as our 5 year old Tesla.
  • We don't use the Tesla frunk on a daily basis, but some items you'll eventually need get stored in there. The VW doesn't have a frunk, despite the appearance they could have rearranged the hood compartment a little to make room for one.
  • My wife didn't like the white steering wheel and dash surround.

I was hoping the VW would be "ahead" of the 5 year old Tesla, but that's not the case. I'm not a Tesla Fanboy. I'm wanting VW to succeed, but for now we'll have to wait for the AWD/Pro version at least to see if the added acceleration at brings the car to "on par" with the 5 year old model S.

FWIW, the Volvo was nicer inside and has similar acceleration to the Tesla, but the limited range (208 miles) wasn't worth the premium over the VW.

I'm going to wait to look at the VW AWD/pro version and/or the Audi Q4 etron.
I understand as I compare the ID.4 to my experience with the Model 3. But to be fair, your frame of reference is a significantly more expensive car! I too am leaning on waiting for the AWD to address my main issue...modest power compared to the Model 3.

·
163 Posts
An ID.4 will seem light years ahead of my 2012 Prius Plug-in, which is full of hard plastics, has a primitive touchscreen, and does 0-60 in about 10.3 seconds. I don’t need Tesla-like speed, but I’m a bit disappointed by the ID.4’s numbers. I’ll find out for myself when I go for a test drive next week.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Numbers are just that, and VAG historically understates their numbers anyway. Only by a real world test drive can you get a feel for whether it will satisfy your needs in your intended environment. I find the RWD acceleration to be surprisingly brisk both off the line and in highway passing and more than adequate for my present needs (and I just came out of a 300hp AWD sports coupe). But one of many very subjective matters when acquiring a new vehicle. ;)

An ID.4 will seem light years ahead of my 2012 Prius Plug-in, which is full of hard plastics, has a primitive touchscreen, and does 0-60 in about 10.3 seconds. I don’t need Tesla-like speed, but I’m a bit disappointed by the ID.4’s numbers. I’ll find out for myself when I go for a test drive next week.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
106 Posts
Numbers are just that, and VAG historically understates their numbers anyway. Only by a real world test drive can you get a feel for whether it will satisfy your needs in your intended environment. I find the RWD acceleration to be surprisingly brisk both off the line and in highway passing and more than adequate for my present needs (and I just came out of a 300hp AWD sports coupe). But one of many very subjective matters when acquiring a new vehicle. ;)
I did a test drive last week and found the acceleration was better than I expected, mainly because it is instantaneous compared to every other car I have owned (all ICE). I think it will be just fine for normal driving and highway passing when needed. But as you said, it is a very subjective matter and everyone should do a test drive to be certain.

·
AWD PRO S
28 Posts
My wife and I test drove one last week. Given the comments made by some posters we were expecting to be slightly disappointed. But just the opposite. My daily driver has been a Tiguan for the past 8 years and I found the ID.4’s performance to be comparable - better if I factor in the smooth application of power you get with an EV. Hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised as well.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
106 Posts
My wife and I test drove one last week. Given the comments made by some posters we were expecting to be slightly disappointed. But just the opposite. My daily driver has been a Tiguan for the past 8 years and I found the ID.4’s performance to be comparable - better if I factor in the smooth application of power you get with an EV. Hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised as well.
I hope you don't mind, but I copied your signature since I thought it was a very nice addition to your post.

·
526 Posts
I was hoping the VW would be "ahead" of the 5 year old Tesla, but that's not the case.
Here are some areas I think the VW is ahead of the Tesla current models:
Power Sunshade on the large sunroof.
Ground clearance of 8.2" versus 6.6"
Has Carplay & Android auto.
Heated windshield (on AWD)
More physical buttons for controls.
rain sensing wipers.that actually work
Adjustable regen rate (D + B)
power liftgate (Tesla started last year)
$10,000 lower price on the AWD I want (plus 7500 tax credit.)

I also strongly dislike the the FE white steering wheel, door handle and dash surround. AWD is on my must have list for snow. Power of the RWD was great on my test drive, faster than almost any ICE SUV.

Reactions: Huey52

·
AWD PRO S
28 Posts
I hope you don't mind, but I copied your signature since I thought it was a very nice addition to your post.
🙂 I wasn’t so polite when I copied it from someone else! Don’t mind at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts