1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
2021 First Edition
179 Posts
Not a fan of the tarp material, but they might be on to something. If someone did that in a molded hard plastic, they might sell a few.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
My view is that VW shortened the hood to make more cabin space. So no room for a frunk. The frunk is kind of a legacy from ICE car designs where you need lots of space for the engine. Turn that car into an EV and you have wasted space.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
first thing.. why
second thing.. still need to open it manually.
third still need to lift it manually and place the stick.
fourth.. which space? yea maybe a pizza or 2, but why?

chargerport is at the back, trunk has pockets for your cable. lol

Reactions: egsell

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those that aren't familiar with Jalopnik, they are lean towards tongue-in-cheek satire and broad shade-throwing as much as factual gearhead discussion.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
All joking aside, I would be concerned about ventilation of the components below. It's uncovered for a reason, I suspect.

·
113 Posts

·
217 Posts
My view is that VW shortened the hood to make more cabin space. So no room for a frunk. The frunk is kind of a legacy from ICE car designs where you need lots of space for the engine. Turn that car into an EV and you have wasted space.
VW had a car with an open hood at the ID4 event today. I looked into it. There is absolutely space for a small frunk. Even the BMW i3 had a small trunk. I also understand there's lots of unused space behind the dashboard. I think they rushed the car to market. Perhaps an updated model in a few years will a frunk, it shouldn't be too hard to add one.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
With as much hatch volume as the ID.4 has, why do you need a frunk?? I had an EV with a frunk and used it for nothing but storing the OUC.

·
217 Posts
With as much hatch volume as the ID.4 has, why do you need a frunk?? I had an EV with a frunk and used it for nothing but storing the OUC.
You want a frunk for convenience. It's a great place to store your L1 charger or (for Europeans) their L2 charging cables. If you store these underneath the trunk floor, you'll have to unpack whatever you have packed in the trunk.

The drain in the Mustang Mach-e frunk is pretty genius as well to keep your drink cold with ice.

·
217 Posts
(but it's really the Europeans who should be annoyed, because they need access to their L2 charging cable more often than in the US where L2 chargers are rare, and come with a cable if you manage to find one)

·
35 Posts
You want a frunk for convenience. It's a great place to store your L1 charger or (for Europeans) their L2 charging cables. If you store these underneath the trunk floor, you'll have to unpack whatever you have packed in the trunk.

The drain in the Mustang Mach-e frunk is pretty genius as well to keep your drink cold with ice.
I wonder to what extent that drain may also be a precaution in case water spray gets into the drink while driving. Either way, genius marketing if it is!

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts

Well like I said, I had an EV with a frunk. I think I can count on one hand how many times I opened the frunk. My OUC lived in there permanently, and I rarely used it (L2 EVSE in the garage at home). Also, there’s plenty of room to stow the OUC in the small side compartments in the ID.4 as far as I can tell, so even if you’ve got a hatch full of stuff, I’m sure you could figure out how to still access the OUC. This isn’t like pulling a spare tire out every time you need to charge. Also, who has so much stuff in the hatch all the time that it’s an issue to get to the load floor or the compartment beneath? 🤣 And you’re very likely not going to be using the OUC on trips because it takes WAY too long to charge the battery.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Well like I said, I had an EV with a frunk. I think I can count on one hand how many times I opened the frunk. My OUC lived in there permanently, and I rarely used it (L2 EVSE in the garage at home). Also, there’s plenty of room to stow the OUC in the small side compartments in the ID.4 as far as I can tell, so even if you’ve got a hatch full of stuff, I’m sure you could figure out how to still access the OUC. This isn’t like pulling a spare tire out every time you need to charge. Also, who has so much stuff in the hatch all the time that it’s an issue to get to the load floor or the compartment beneath? 🤣 And you’re very likely not going to be using the OUC on trips because it takes WAY too long to charge the battery.
Ok, that is perhaps the best thought for a frunk, locate the spare in there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts