Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between using Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane keeping vs the Travel Assist button? Seems the same.

I can sometimes use my foot to activate the auto trunk liftgate, but it’s unreliable. I’m not exactly sure what the motion I’m supposed to be making with my foot is and for how long. Even when I can open it, I have not been able to close it with the same motion ever.

What are the parameters for the auto lock/auto open based on proximity to the car? I have had the car key in my pocket and walked away and not had the car lock consistently.

If you hold the unlock button on the door fob to roll down the windows, is there a way to roll them back up?

Is the driver side door handle grabby? Often, when I pull the latch to open the door from the inside, I find that it doesn’t open freely and it catches on something (internal to the door) and I find I have to pull the latch open a second time and push the door open. Am I doing something wrong?

This is a very quirky car. Does anyone have any of the more obscure tips that might not be obvious from skimming the (enormous) manual?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
410 Posts
What is the difference between using Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane keeping vs the Travel Assist button? Seems the same.

I can sometimes use my foot to activate the auto trunk liftgate, but it’s unreliable. I’m not exactly sure what the motion I’m supposed to be making with my foot is and for how long. Even when I can open it, I have not been able to close it with the same motion ever.

What are the parameters for the auto lock/auto open based on proximity to the car? I have had the car key in my pocket and walked away and not had the car lock consistently.

If you hold the unlock button on the door fob to roll down the windows, is there a way to roll them back up?

Is the driver side door handle grabby? Often, when I pull the latch to open the door from the inside, I find that it doesn’t open freely and it catches on something (internal to the door) and I find I have to pull the latch open a second time and push the door open. Am I doing something wrong?

This is a very quirky car. Does anyone have any of the more obscure tips that might not be obvious from skimming the (enormous) manual?
When you press inside of the door handle, it electronically actuates the door latch, so there's probably a fraction of a second you should wait to pull hard on it. I assume that is your problem but I could be wrong.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Lane keeping keeps you from crossing over a line into another lane.
Travel assist is the automatic driving that keeps your vehicle centered in a lane.

The hitch covers the sensor on an FE. Try to slide your foot either alongside it on the right or left of the receiver. To close it, you'll need to do the same motion and then step back about 6ft. It should start to beep as you back away from it and then you'll know you're doing it right.

The proximity auto-lock seems to be interrupted if you do anything other than walk away. That is, if you open another door or open the hatch it won't lock up when you walk away. It doesn't even seem like someone else can get out of the car without messing it up.

When you press inside of the door handle, it electronically actuates the door latch, so there's probably a fraction of a second you should wait to pull hard on it. I assume that is your problem but I could be wrong.
I believe the person is asking about how to open it from inside the car. That said, I don't think you should pull hard on the outside handle in normal use--that mechanical latch is if the electronic one doesn't work for some reason.

·
214 Posts
Might I suggest using the "search" feature of the forum? Many of your questions have been discussed (and many of them probably in the sticky "Questions..." thread). I don't want to act like a moderator, but if every new owner creates an account and wants the answers repeated individually to them, the forum is going to be a lot less engaging.

There's a wealth of information in here, and some forum members have even posted YouTube videos which you might find informative. If you try those options and still have questions, I'm sure those of us who have been reading/posting for a while will be able to help.

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
I have the same problem with the inside latch. Pull once, the door semi-releases, but a second pull is needed to fully unlatch it. Still trying to figure it out..

With the liftgate, the key is standing back. It's not an immediate open, always takes a few seconds. The tail lights flash, then it opens.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
900 Posts
With the liftgate, the key is standing back. It's not an immediate open, always takes a few seconds. The tail lights flash, then it opens.
My wife said she read the owner's manual (GAH!). She says the liftgate kick sensor also looks for your planted foot. Fact or fiction, I don't know, but she's got it opening and closing reliably. Oh, also seems like it doesn't work if parked within about 3 or 4 feet of another car.

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
My wife said she read the owner's manual (GAH!). She says the liftgate kick sensor also looks for your planted foot. Fact or fiction, I don't know, but she's got it opening and closing reliably. Oh, also seems like it doesn't work if parked within about 3 or 4 feet of another car.
I've never planted my foot, but it opens fairly reliably for me. I'll have to try the plant.

(and of course I didn't read the manual :))

·
134 Posts
I have the same problem with the inside latch. Pull once, the door semi-releases, but a second pull is needed to fully unlatch it. Still trying to figure it out..

If the doors are locked the first pull of the inner handle is unlocking the door. The second opens it. This is my assumption based on previous VW products. I don’t have my ID4 yet to be 100% certain of this. My suggestion would be to try it as you normally do then unlock the doors and see if you get the single pull. Please post the result as I’m curious of the results

·
900 Posts
If the doors are locked the first pull of the inner handle is unlocking the door. The second opens it. This is my assumption based on previous VW products. I don’t have my ID4 yet to be 100% certain of this. My suggestion would be to try it as you normally do then I lick the doors and see if you get the single pull. Please post the result as I’m curious of the results
I haven't noticed that. With the microswitches in the door handles it seems as though the single press is the request to open, and that request is validated by the presence of the FOB. I don't notice any delay which is uncanny because every other car I have experience with has a mechanical linkage of some sort, so there's always the brief pause to wait for a click as confirmation of unlock.

·
134 Posts
I haven't noticed that. With the microswitches in the door handles it seems as though the single press is the request to open, and that request is validated by the presence of the FOB. I don't notice any delay which is uncanny because every other car I have experience with has a mechanical linkage of some sort, so there's always the brief pause to wait for a click as confirmation of unlock.
You’re referring to the outside handle though correct?

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) maintains a set distance from the vehicle in front. It’s only active when the driver activates it. Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) is always active unless you turn it off, and it keeps the ID.4 from crossing a lane line. Travel Assist is an extension of ACC and builds on LKA to keep the ID.4 centered in the lane and will do so for about 20 seconds or so without your hands on the steering wheel. It’s functionally equivalent to Tesla’s Autopilot (not to be confused with Full Self Driving).

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts

When opening the door from the inside, a slight pull on the latch till you feel resistance while simultaneously pushing the door will get it every time. Don’t pull all the way out, because that is the mechanical latch and it’s for emergencies. You’ll have to pull twice in most cases if you do it that way.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st, Dusk Blue
114 Posts
If the doors are locked the first pull of the inner handle is unlocking the door. The second opens it. This is my assumption based on previous VW products. I don’t have my ID4 yet to be 100% certain of this. My suggestion would be to try it as you normally do then unlock the doors and see if you get the single pull. Please post the result as I’m curious of the results
Just pull partway and it opens every time. Just discovered this a couple days ago after having it for a week. 🙄

·
81 Posts

I don't think auto-lock is a feature.

I believe auto window close is disallowed by US regulations.

·
900 Posts
You’re referring to the outside handle though correct?
Oops, specifically in that answer, yes.

Although it's similar for the inners which don't require a double pull, not even if the car is engaged in Drive and the door lock icon is illuminated. Single pull action, that's all.

But these door handles also have a unique, disconnected feel: Inside, I can tell there's no mechanical linkage (until the end of the pull) and at some point in their travel they trigger the electric unlatching mechanism. There's no detent or click. It's a very different feeling compared to the outside handles.

With the outside handles, even though there's barely any movement required I can still feel the microswitch under there being activated.

In fact, the only "difficulty" I've noticed with the doors (and all of us in the family have done it) is not pull hard enough to close them securely -- it seems to me then need a slightly higher than normal amount of force to get them latched properly, and the "door open" warning icon isn't exactly obvious the first time around.

·
45 Posts
Trying to explain to my non-English speaking mother-in-law how to appropriately open the back door so that she isn't trapped in a prison of her own making has been an adventure. It takes a certain finesse.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
That's going to be one persistent potential downside. It's already been a decades long struggle to train people not to slam my German auto doors (especially VW's doors loaded with their electronics). Now I get to tell everyone to shut it firmly, but not slam, but not too lightly...and when you open the door it's just a half pull, not all the way, oh now you're holding the handle in your hand up in the air? What have we here?! lol

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
Adjusting the driver-side rear door closing is one of the items on my scheduled dealer visit - that one door is more difficult than any other to get to close properly. (I even turned on the blazingly loud horn confirmation that all doors are closed until we get the dealer to adjust it)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts