Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm a relatively longtime lurker who just joined. Yesterday I traded in my 2018 A3 e-tron for a 2021 ID.4 that my local dealer seems to have gotten in unsold, along with their black demo.

The acquisition experience went great, with a bit of a learning curve since this is the first ID.4 my dealer has sold. I'm navigating my way through charging and the Carnet app, not to mention Electrify America. I have a short 4 mile commute and I go home for lunch so I only put about 16 miles on per day, while level 1 charging at home for 13+ hr/night and level 1 at work for 8 hr/day so that should be sufficient. It would be nice to have a level 2 charger at work for this and other future vehicles, so we are still investigating what would work best especially with our 208V 3-phase.

As my username indicates I work for Ross-Tech and we plan to explore how much we can find out about these vehicles, and maybe get a hint of what upcoming models may contain. Currently VCDS works fine for scanning all modules, reading fault codes, live data, etc (using 21.3 or newer with a HEX-NET or HEX-V2) but many changes to control modules require SFD, which currently means using the factory scan tool with a connection to the factory headquarters.

Admins/Moderators, please let me know if my presence here is ok, I don't want to step on any toes as far as vendor accounts, etc.

·
690 Posts
Welcome, looking forward to seeing your thoughts and what you can get VCDS to do to the car. Hopefully somebody will find a way past the SFD limits so we can code the car to our liking. Loved what VCDS would allow on the TDI's I have had.

·
215 Posts
congrats. Can you let us know what was the lease terms if you dont mind. I am still oscillating between buying and leasing.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Hi @Andy at Ross-Tech.com ! Did you pick up your ID.4 from North Penn? I'm semi-local to Ross-Tech :) What I'm really interested in doing, once my Pro S AWD arrives much later this year, is finding out how to retrofit the European matrix tail lights, and possibly the European matrix headlights. Hopefully those are coding things we can figure out!!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congrats. Can you let us know what was the lease terms if you dont mind. I am still oscillating between buying and leasing.
Sure, I did a 39 month lease with 7,500 miles/yr. I believe the residual was 48% and the MF was 0.00143 or 3.4%. For comparison my A3 was a 42 month lease with 10,000 mile/yr and the residual was a full 10% lower ?!?. The end of lease residual for the two cars work out to be close to the same despite the Audi having over $5k higher MSRP and only a $4502 federal tax rebate compared to the $7500 one that VW applies as "lease cash" if you lease rather than finance.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome @Andy at Ross-Tech.com and congrats on the ID.4!
What do you think the build quality?

It would be great to see more pictures of it in the Dusk Blue Metallic Volkswagen ID.4 Photo Thread
I posted pix in that thread, great idea.

This car seems to be very well screwed together. Some of the design and layout choices, not so much, but the builders seem to have followed the blueprints to a t. It's very smooth with no clunks or rattles, things open and close solidly.

·
257 Posts
I posted pix in that thread, great idea.

This car seems to be very well screwed together. Some of the design and layout choices, not so much, but the builders seem to have followed the blueprints to a t. It's very smooth with no clunks or rattles, things open and close solidly.
Thanks. I appreciate it because your pics are my favorite so far of Dusk Blue!

Glad to know its a solid vehicle from your observations. Are you planning to install at Level 2 charger at home?

·
311 Posts
Hi everybody, I'm a relatively longtime lurker who just joined. Yesterday I traded in my 2018 A3 e-tron for a 2021 ID.4 that my local dealer seems to have gotten in unsold, along with their black demo.

The acquisition experience went great, with a bit of a learning curve since this is the first ID.4 my dealer has sold. I'm navigating my way through charging and the Carnet app, not to mention Electrify America. I have a short 4 mile commute and I go home for lunch so I only put about 16 miles on per day, while level 1 charging at home for 13+ hr/night and level 1 at work for 8 hr/day so that should be sufficient. It would be nice to have a level 2 charger at work for this and other future vehicles, so we are still investigating what would work best especially with our 208V 3-phase.

As my username indicates I work for Ross-Tech and we plan to explore how much we can find out about these vehicles, and maybe get a hint of what upcoming models may contain. Currently VCDS works fine for scanning all modules, reading fault codes, live data, etc (using 21.3 or newer with a HEX-NET or HEX-V2) but many changes to control modules require SFD, which currently means using the factory scan tool with a connection to the factory headquarters.

Admins/Moderators, please let me know if my presence here is ok, I don't want to step on any toes as far as vendor accounts, etc.
Congratulations @Andy at Ross-Tech.com! Welcome to the forum! Are there any specific Level 2 chargers you're considering?

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
Congratulations @Andy at Ross-Tech.com , on your new wheels!

I am also a long-time VCDS owner/user and looking forward to being able to do some fine-tuning of the ID.4 configuration.

Please help us keep the forum up-to-date on the VCDS status and cool things that are found in the ID.4 interface as we go forward into the BEV world!

Reactions: ericy

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Does it make sense for us to make a specific VCDS headline/discussion that Andy can update on?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Just thinking ahead to where the forum goes in the next few months

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you planning to install at Level 2 charger at home?
Are there any specific Level 2 chargers you're considering?
At home, probably not since I have an older house with 100A service and am already pretty much using all of that already (electric range, electric dryer, etc). We are still in the research phase of L2 consideration and work, and our building has 208V 3-phase which may or may not complicate things, along with available space on the panel and distance to the parking lot.

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
109 Posts
At home, probably not since I have an older house with 100A service and am already pretty much using all of that already (electric range, electric dryer, etc). We are still in the research phase of L2 consideration and work, and our building has 208V 3-phase which may or may not complicate things, along with available space on the panel and distance to the parking lot.
Many publicly available chargers are 208 volts. 32 amps * 208 volts is 6.6 kW, which you'll see listed on a fair number of ChargePoint stations. I would guess that that most (but not all?) Level 2 chargers can work just fine on 208 volts as well as 240 volts.

Something like this is spec-ed to run at either 208 or 240 volts: 32A Level 2 EVSE HCS-40 | ClipperCreek

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Many publicly available chargers are 208 volts. 32 amps * 208 volts is 6.6 kW, which you'll see listed on a fair number of ChargePoint stations. I would guess that that most (but not all?) Level 2 chargers can work just fine on 208 volts as well as 240 volts.

Something like this is spec-ed to run at either 208 or 240 volts: 32A Level 2 EVSE HCS-40 | ClipperCreek
The real irony to me is that if you have 208, that means you have 3-phase. But while European EVs can charge using all of the legs of a 3-phase, U.S. cars cannot, and can only use one. Almost certainly because most US residences don't have 3-phase service, but European residences evidently do.

·
1 Posts

I have an interest in their EVs but I have a short commute like you so it's hard to justify it for me. I live 3.5 mike's from work and my 2016 Golf has 22,000 miles on it. Maybe when my wife decides to replace her 2017 Honda CR-V we'll give the ID4 a good look.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
It's fairly common in the USA for commercial/industrial buildings to have 208VAC 3-phase supplied, mostly to more efficiently operate their heavy duty electric motored equipment and infrastructure, and with less induced wear than single phase (locked rotor inertia, etc.).

As you would expect high tension transmission is 3-phase and then broken down at substations for local distribution.

There's always a solution however. That's the nice thing about 'tricity. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts