It maintained ~125kW from the very beginning up through 35%
0-50% in 20 minutes, still charging at ~95kW at 50%
0-80% in 40 minutes, still charging at 65kW at 80%
0-100% in 64 minutes, was still charging at ~30kW at 98%

I am impressed!

·
1st Edition since 3/18
12 Posts
64 min is very good. He also did the same test on Mach-E and I believe it took 2hrs and 30ish mins to fully charge?

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
Falls inline with what Tom Moloughney found. The ID.4 may not have the highest peak charging capacity, but it's overall charging curve is quite impressive (MUCH more impressive than the Mach-e, for example). I'm pretty sure this even compares to the Model 3/Model Y quite well, despite their absolute peak being (I think) double the ID.4's. This will make road tripping with the ID.4 quite nice, even if you may have to stop just a hair more frequently than some EV's with longer range.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
Falls inline with what Tom Moloughney found. The ID.4 may not have the highest peak charging capacity, but it's overall charging curve is quite impressive (MUCH more impressive than the Mach-e, for example). I'm pretty sure this even compares to the Model 3/Model Y quite well, despite their absolute peak being (I think) double the ID.4's. This will make road tripping with the ID.4 quite nice, even if you may have to stop just a hair more frequently than some EV's with longer range.
That is a good point. I think we have to relearn how to road trip. I used to wait until the last possible point to get gas. But as I have gotten older the bladder or lower back doesn't always go with that game plan. I'm more willing to stretch the trip out a little more now. I guess I am also willing to have more charge stops if I can get the best out of the charging curb.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
Falls inline with what Tom Moloughney found. The ID.4 may not have the highest peak charging capacity, but it's overall charging curve is quite impressive
Exactly that! It's super reassuring that this test is easily repeatable, and that the ID4 delivers.
I'm more willing to stretch the trip out a little more now. I guess I am also willing to have more charge stops if I can get the best out of the charging curb.
Me too. As it happens, our pit stops tend to stretch to 20mins quite often, Making them 30 minutes or a little more is not a huge change, but it will make our road trips a more relaxed and enjoyable experience. Then add in cleaner bathrooms, better food and drink options in the typical strip mall where you find EA stations, and maybe walking a few more steps, and it's going to be fun!

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
165 Posts
Haha I enjoyed the sort of "play-by-play" analysis of the charging curve. It felt like I was watching a horse race or something

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
426 Posts
Exactly that! It's super reassuring that this test is easily repeatable, and that the ID4 delivers.

Me too. As it happens, our pit stops tend to stretch to 20mins quite often, Making them 30 minutes or a little more is not a huge change, but it will make our road trips a more relaxed and enjoyable experience. Then add in cleaner bathrooms, better food and drink options in the typical strip mall where you find EA stations, and maybe walking a few more steps, and it's going to be fun!
I am going to have to change my road trip mindset too. I make about 4-5 650 mile each way trips a year and have been doing that for 30 years. Each time it is like I am trying to win a race or set the new record. And when I travel in my truck with a 40 gallon tank I can do it in one gas stop. Slowing down and making more stops will be an adjustment, but as I get older it will be a good thing too

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
That is a good point. I think we have to relearn how to road trip. I used to wait until the last possible point to get gas. But as I have gotten older the bladder or lower back doesn't always go with that game plan. I'm more willing to stretch the trip out a little more now. I guess I am also willing to have more charge stops if I can get the best out of the charging curb.
It’s also a thing that is sort of inherently U.S. (and probably Canada, to some extent) in nature. We have these vast stretches of highways connecting cities and town that are far apart. It’s not uncommon in the U.S. for folks to drive multiple hours in a row with nothing more than a restroom/gas break. But honestly, those kinda of trips are not fun! I’ve done 15+ hours straight to make it from Florida to Pennsylvania, several times. It’s doable, but no way is it pleasant or enjoyable.

Anyway, EV life makes that more difficult, even with a Tesla. Filling up a gas tank takes mere minutes. Filling a battery, even in the best scenario, takes exponentially longer. So for EV’s I think there’s a lot to be said for shorter but more frequent stops, as opposed to less frequent but longer stops. This is especially true when you have an EV like the ID.4 that might not charge at the highest peak rate, but will maintain an average rate that is much higher than most EV’s. Will you physically make more stops? Perhaps. Will your total time spent charging be longer? Probably not!

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

This is so true! Just last weekend I took my brother and my nephew to pick up a car he purchased online, from a dealer that was 8 hours round trip from his house. I was not excited about the idea of such a long trip for what was ultimately a very quick destination stop (we were only at the dealer for 15 minutes and then left for home!). Anyway, my nephew is young and was not up for what I probably would’ve done in two non-stop 4-hour drives (used less than a tank of gas for the trip). We stopped about every 2 hours and had a maybe 20-30 break for the restroom and snacks. It took longer, but when I got home I realized I was much less exhausted than I’d normally be after an 8-hour drive.

·
526 Posts
Anyway, EV life makes that more difficult, even with a Tesla. Filling up a gas tank takes mere minutes. Filling a battery, even in the best scenario, takes exponentially longer. So for EV’s I think there’s a lot to be said for shorter but more frequent stops, as opposed to less frequent but longer stops. This is especially true when you have an EV like the ID.4 that might not charge at the highest peak rate, but will maintain an average rate that is much higher than most EV’s. Will you physically make more stops? Perhaps. Will your total time spent charging be longer? Probably not!
I have been comparing my common trips with ABRP, and currently its less stops, more time. Here is a link to Denver to Pittsburgh, on I-70 mostly 75mph:ABRP Denver to PA It makes 11 charge stops totaling 5h 48m, $157 cost. Ave. range = 226 mi.
Change my car to a Tesla MY LR it makes 12 stops (1 more), but the total charge time is less at 3h 26m, $60 cost. ABRP Den-PA Tesla Ave. range = 240mi.
Comparing the details, due to less EA charging stations, there was one in KS that took 54mins since it needed to go to 95% to reach the next EA. As EA adds more locations that difference should get much better. But a huge cost difference, so I'm glad EA is free for 3 years, and by then everything will be different. I could probably find a non EA charge in there to make it more equal.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I have been comparing my common trips with ABRP, and currently its less stops, more time. Here is a link to Denver to Pittsburgh, on I-70 mostly 75mph:ABRP Denver to PA It makes 11 charge stops totaling 5h 48m, $157 cost. Ave. range = 226 mi.
Change my car to a Tesla MY LR it makes 12 stops (1 more), but the total charge time is less at 3h 26m, $60 cost. ABRP Den-PA Tesla Ave. range = 240mi.
Comparing the details, due to less EA charging stations, there was one in KS that took 54mins since it needed to go to 95% to reach the next EA. As EA adds more locations that difference should get much better. But a huge cost difference, so I'm glad EA is free for 3 years, and by then everything will be different. I could probably find a non EA charge in there to make it more equal.
I'm curious what an average ICE would cost in fuel for that trip as well.

·
526 Posts
I'm curious what an average ICE would cost in fuel for that trip as well.
In a average ICE doing 1452 mi. at 25mpg and $3 a gallon, its $174. Plus 1/4 of the price of an oil and filter change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts