Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this pdf by member @aircooled in this thread.

·
84 Posts
If true, it’s a cheapskate move. However, L1 charging is slow as hell. My Model 3 SR+ has around a 55 kWh battery, and it takes over 24 hours to top it off from near empty on a household outlet. I couldn’t imagine trying to charge an 80+ kWh battery at L1.

With that said, it should still be included for emergencies (not that a slow charger would really help in an “emergency” 😂).

·
1,248 Posts
I relied on a granny cable and EA for the first few months until I got my Clippercreek. When you live in a hurricane zone you tend to hoard cash until that years hurricane is over. It also came in handy when visiting my parents, no CCS and all of the level 2s are at non VW car dealerships.

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used mine exactly 1 time, but it was there when I needed it.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,330 Posts
There are only a small subset of owners who rely on L1. Why not treat it like a spare tire and remove the cost for the great many, have it on hand as an option for the few owners who chose it?

Even me, a daily Level 1 user, has the stock unit bundled up as a spare and an aftermarket 16A unit as a primary.

·
76 Posts
If true, it’s a cheapskate move. However, L1 charging is slow as hell. My Model 3 SR+ has around a 55 kWh battery, and it takes over 24 hours to top it off from near empty on a household outlet. I couldn’t imagine trying to charge an 80+ kWh battery at L1.

With that said, it should still be included for emergencies (not that a slow charger would really help in an “emergency” 😂).
I charge my Honda Clarity PHEV that has a 48 mile range battery nightly in 8-10 hours. If you fill up your car once to full… and have a normal 40-50 mile daily commute… you don’t need anything but a L1 charger to top it off for your commute nightly. Then just hit up a free electrify America charger before road trips or once a month if you drive a lot. L1 chargers are very practical even for a large battery EV… I don’t even plan to upgrade my electrical right way when my ID.4 arrives. There’s a free electrify America station nearby and I’ll charge it their occasionally… and top off daily with my L1. Anyone with a daily commute of under 60 miles could probably swing this method easily.

·
567 Posts
I charge my Honda Clarity PHEV that has a 48 mile range battery nightly in 8-10 hours. If you fill up your car once to full… and have a normal 40-50 mile daily commute… you don’t need anything but a L1 charger to top it off for your commute nightly. Then just hit up a free electrify America charger before road trips or once a month if you drive a lot. L1 chargers are very practical even for a large battery EV… I don’t even plan to upgrade my electrical right way when my ID.4 arrives. There’s a free electrify America station nearby and I’ll charge it their occasionally… and top off daily with my L1. Anyone with a daily commute of under 60 miles could probably swing this method easily.
Current L1 charger accepts 220v, 10A. Which is 2kW. It's not advisable but If you have 220v outlet closer to garage then you can use plug converter from 220v to 110v pin and use provided charger.

At that speed charging time can be halved. It can be practical solution for many as you can charge 0-100% in about 33 hours.

·
128 Posts
I didn’t even see it as an option on the configurator. It seems like shooting fish in a barrel to offer these things as options as you configure your car. Let people check a box for L1 and/or L2, if they’d like.

Primary L1 works great for me. 90%+ of days I drive less than 30 miles, so I wake up at 60% and away I go. I’d be annoyed if it didn’t at least come as an option.

When Apple stopped shipping chargers, it was after like a gazillion iPhones and chargers were in the world. Makes sense. Different than EVs in 2022.

·
128 Posts
Yes It says 110 but people on this forum have successfully tested it to work with 220, you can even check you tube videos where they are doit it
I think the operative word of the quote from the VW site was “come”, as in, in one place they say you get one and in another place they say you don’t get one.

Being a for profit conglomerate, my bet is the answer is you don’t get one and their media assets don’t get enough funding to be 100% accurate across the board.

·
1,284 Posts
I’ve used a Level 1 mainly on vacation or visiting relatives or when staying somewhere else with 120v outlets and nothing else. If the car is parked overnight and charging, even a 77 kWh pack can pick up 10-25%. For example, I stayed at a Hampton Inn with 120v outlets on all the street lamps, so I plugged in overnight and added over 20% to my ID.4 in about 15 hours of charging. Not the best, but it was free and let me go farther the next day without stopping to charge.

It seems that either it should be included or offered as a low-cost extra.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,156 Posts
There are only a small subset of owners who rely on L1. Why not treat it like a spare tire and remove the cost for the great many, have it on hand as an option for the few owners who chose it?
Why not upgrade it like Tesla did - Works with whatever socket you have in your garage with 120 or 240, current from 12 amps all the way up to 32. At least then it's practical for 95% of buyers - They don't need anything else, so it's no longer wasted money

. . . . but then, I think Tesla discontinued including it with the car too, didn't they?

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,330 Posts
Why not upgrade it like Tesla did - Works with whatever socket you have in your garage with 120 or 240, current from 12 amps all the way up to 32. At least then it's practical for 95% of buyers - They don't need anything else, so it's no longer wasted money

. . . . but then, I think Tesla discontinued including it with the car too, didn't they?
They could go that route with something more useful, but at greater cost to every owner, and balancing with the fact that EVSEs are becoming if not ubiquitous, then at least brand-identified in such a way that I'm betting most buyers have settled on "I'm installing a ChargePoint" or "ClipperCreek or die" kinds of mentalities. How many of use already had EVSEs installed prior to bringing home the ID.4?

It seems the best move would be for VW to have a couple selections of EVSEs available at a fair cost for owners who need one, so everybody gets what the pay for, and nobody pays for e-waste they don't want and may never use.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,747 Posts
I did. My first EVSE test was on my dealership's demo ID.4 the day before delivery. It was thankfully a 2-hour solo demo and so I brought it home to test garage parking and also my EVSE. The dealership got a bit of free, or at least recouped, charging for them in the deal.
[ChargePoint] worked flawlessly then and ever since. ;)

I've yet to use my OE L1 EVSE, but still glad to have it.
How many of us already had EVSEs installed prior to bringing home the ID.4?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
2,006 Posts
I have used the L1 a few times - the main use case is when we go into NYC. We park at a train station where there are 110V outlets that we can use for free. When we come back in a couple of days, the car is charged up again and ready for the trip home. That's more of a convenience than anything else - if those outlets weren't there, we would just have to go to EA and charge up for the trip home.

But I suspect most people never even try and use the thing, so I suppose they decided to save a few $$. I guess if you really want one, you go out and buy one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts