Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I searched the forum, but I couldn't find any answers. On Wednesday night I came home with a 17% SOC. The temperature was in the mid-20s. I turned the car off and I noticed that I didn't have any charging options, immediate vs scheduled. I also had a message on the display saying something like having to charge now, and having to keep the battery warm, or something like that. I didn't really read the whole thing. I got out of the car and plugged it in. Next morning, I expected to find the car with an 80% SOC, but it was only at 33%. I checked the car, and it was only charging at a 2kWh rate. I checked all the settings, but everything looked normal other than the settings for scheduled charging. Battery maintenance is enabled, but there was also a message saying that it would be set to 80% after this charge. I also factory reset the infotainment system, but nothing changed. It's Friday morning, and it is still charging. It's at 84% now, and it looks like it wants to go all the way to 100%. I called the dealership, but they just want me to come in. Well, it's -11 outside and very windy, so I'm not going anywhere today. Does the ID.4 have some kind of a maintenance cycle where it has to charge to 100% before going back to normal?

2,408 Posts
New member here. I searched the forum, but I couldn't find any answers. On Wednesday night I came home with a 17% SOC. The temperature was in the mid-20s. I turned the car off and I noticed that I didn't have any charging options, immediate vs scheduled. I also had a message on the display saying something like having to charge now, and having to keep the battery warm, or something like that. I didn't really read the whole thing. I got out of the car and plugged it in. Next morning, I expected to find the car with an 80% SOC, but it was only at 33%. I checked the car, and it was only charging at a 2kWh rate. I checked all the settings, but everything looked normal other than the settings for scheduled charging. Battery maintenance is enabled, but there was also a message saying that it would be set to 80% after this charge. I also factory reset the infotainment system, but nothing changed. It's Friday morning, and it is still charging. It's at 84% now, and it looks like it wants to go all the way to 100%. I called the dealership, but they just want me to come in. Well, it's -11 outside and very windy, so I'm not going anywhere today. Does the ID.4 have some kind of a maintenance cycle where it has to charge to 100% before going back to normal?
Also, it would be helpful to know if you have successfully charged it before. Either at home, or at a fast charger. What does the light at the charging cable show when you plug it in?

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, it would be helpful to know if you have successfully charged it before. Either at home, or at a fast charger. What does the light at the charging cable show when you plug it in?
I have 2500 miles on the car and I have never had any problems charging at home. EA is a different story. They're hit and miss. The EVSE is blinking green, and the charge port LED is green and pulsating.

2,408 Posts
Also, Welcome to the forum!

1,552 Posts
It's a 2023 Pro S AWD with the latest firmware (3.1 or whatever it is)
That shouldn't give any issues in that case.
but if you are not planning to set a scheduled charging routine, remove the locations from your car anyway.

Have you tried charging at another L2 charger? I'm curious if the issue is the car or the charger.

1,552 Posts
I also have a message on the display saying: "Battery Care Mode is active. The target charge level will be automatically reduced to 80% after this charge"
that means the car does think it needs to charge above 80%. could be there is a charging location set, and in the location a higher rate is configured? if that is the case it will overrule the standard settings.

2,408 Posts
I also have a message on the display saying: "Battery Care Mode is active. The target charge level will be automatically reduced to 80% after this charge"
I seem to remember way back on this forum that someone had a similar issue, also with a Grizzle EVSE. I think they found that some of the plastic housing on the charge plug had come off in the car's port. Worth a try to take a look in there with a light and see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be.

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that means the car does think it needs to charge above 80%. could be there is a charging location set, and in the location a higher rate is configured? if that is the case it will overrule the standard settings.
The location settings are not accessible, and I think it is because the Battery Care Mode is active. It seems to me that it wants to get a full slow charge before going back to normal. I'll let it finish charging to 100% and then see what happens. I have 5 more hours to go

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I configured the location settings when I got the car, but the settings are not accessible at this time. Again, I think it's because of the Battery Care Mode.

1,552 Posts
I configured the location settings when I got the car, but the settings are not accessible at this time. Again, I think it's because of the Battery Care Mode.
No, battery care mode just means that the car will automatically switch back to 80% charge once it did this charge above 80%
a factory reset would wipe the location settings.

does the carnet app shows you locations, and to what level the car wants to charge?

btw: not sure when you are planning your next drive, but ideally drive the car back down to ~80% once it's charged. Sitting for hours or days at 100% isn't very good for the battery.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts