Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

70 Posts
If you're not going anywhere today, I would stop the charging immediately. It is not recommended to let the car sit at a full 100% charge for any period of time. You can stop the charging with your CarNet app or stop it on the touchscreen.

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No, battery care mode just means that the car will automatically switch back to 80% charge once it did this charge above 80%
a factory reset would wipe the location settings.
The app shows 80% as the target, and that's the default setting as far as I know. I'll let it finish, take a drive around town to bring the SOC down. Shouldn't take long with the weather we have.

1,555 Posts
The app shows 80% as the target, and that's the default setting as far as I know. I'll let it finish, take a drive around town to bring the SOC down. Shouldn't take long with the weather we have.
Somehow smells like the charger module is out of whack.
could try to add the home location again and see what it shows, but if that currently isn't possible the car is certainly not 100% ok.
Usually fixes itself after 30 minutes of rest without the charger cable connected.

70 Posts
Well, turn on your seat warmer to speed up the consumption, and take it back down to 80%. But I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by keeping it charging. On one occasion after an infotainment update the charging level defaulted to 100%, and I overrode it immediately. I suspect you have had a glitch, and that the battery management system really isn't trying to force a full charge on you.

· Premium Member
776 Posts
May want to stop the charge. Pull handle from the car. Cycle power on/off on your EVSE. Then plug it back it and see if your charge rate is back to normal.

Not sure if you have tried this, so thought it might be worth mentioning. No good reason to charge to 100% since that will not reset anything.

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
May want to stop the charge. Pull handle from the car. Cycle power on/off on your EVSE. Then plug it back it and see if your charge rate is back to normal.

Not sure if you have tried this, so thought it might be worth mentioning. No good reason to charge to 100% since that will not reset anything.
I tried resetting the EVSE. Anyway, someone else suggested leaving it unplugged for 30 minutes, and that seems to have resolved the issues. My location settings are back and everything looks normal. I set it to charge to 90% and it's charging at the normal rate. Btw, the location settings were not lost when I reset the system to factory default.

1,555 Posts
I tried resetting the EVSE. Anyway, someone else suggested leaving it unplugged for 30 minutes, and that seems to have resolved the issues. My location settings are back and everything looks normal. I set it to charge to 90% and it's charging at the normal rate. Btw, the location settings were not lost when I reset the system to factory default.
that’s weird. I had expected them to be wiped over a factory reset

268 Posts

Newbie question about charging. Does it cause any damage by physically removing the charger handle ("unplugging") before stopping the charge session either via the infotainment system or app? I have yet to charge my ID4 since I picked it up a week ago, so not sure what should or shouldn't be done.

GR

2,436 Posts
Newbie question about charging. Does it cause any damage by physically removing the charger handle ("unplugging") before stopping the charge session either via the infotainment system or app? I have yet to charge my ID4 since I picked it up a week ago, so not sure what should or shouldn't be done.

GR
No. There is a micro switch in the EVSE handle that will stop the session when you pull the trigger to remove it.

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
5,945 Posts
No. There is a micro switch in the EVSE handle that will stop the session when you pull the trigger to remove it.
There's also a cleverly designed pilot pin that's shorter than the hot pins, so if the charging handle is somehow yanked out without depressing the trigger, in concept the system should recognize the disconnect and instantly cut the voltage. Do I really believe it can react in time? No, and I'm not willing to experiment. But I'm fine with the working theory. :D

2,436 Posts
There's also a cleverly designed pilot pin that's shorter than the hot pins, so if the charging handle is somehow yanked out without depressing the trigger, in concept the system should recognize the disconnect and instantly cut the voltage. Do I really believe it can react in time? No, and I'm not willing to experiment. But I'm fine with the working theory. :D
Feel free to test out what happens when you pull a fuel pump nozzle out while the handle is still depressed and report back. 😂

*no one try this please. I am making a joke comparison between ICE fueling and EV charging safety. 😉

2 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread. Has anyone else or OP had this occur again?

I have 23 AWD Pro S with 6k miles on it and I have the exact same issue.

Came home last night, plugged in to my Clipper Creek 40A charger as I always do, and thought nothing else. I got in the car this morning and noticed the car had not finished charging. It was showing 5 mi/hr 2kW charge rate.

I have tried

Unplugging
Moving the car
Aggressive drive

Still getting slow charge.

I left for work this morning and noticed the car is giving me a message (attached) that battery care mode is active and that target charge level will return to 80 percent after this charge.

Charge is set to 80 in both car and app settings. I did notice I'm unable to access charge locations (image attached). I have used this feature months ago for delayed charging but have not used since.

Does anyone have any insight?

Attachments

44 Posts
I've just had this exact same issue start today after 3 months of perfect home charging. It is absolutely maddening.

I was so hopeful I would avoid these software issues but nope!!

Anyone figure out yet how to get this resolved?

44 Posts
OK, I'm posting this everywhere. I did these EXACT steps and it worked to somehow and strangely fix the bug that was capping L2 charging at 2kw:
  • step out of the car (everyone), close all windows
  • lock the car
  • wait a few seconds
  • unlock
  • sit down
  • put on the seatbelt
  • press the brake pedal

2 Posts
For me, it was just time. After about an hour wait at an appointment for work, I got back in the car and the battery care message was gone. The saved charging locations was back available. When I got home, I plugged in and charged just fine. Haven't had any issues since.

12 Posts
I had the issue with slow L2 charging briefly (eg., no more than 2kwh), I also noticed that the charge settings were back to default and the location settings were gone/unavailable - Tried a few things, but ultimately it seemed to resolve itself after I went to charge at a nearby Electrify L3 charger. So far, haven't seen the issue come back.

27 Posts
Whenever the car is acting weird, you can just hold the power button for 10 or so seconds until it resets. This fixes most issues.

Technically, you can even do this when you’re driving, speedometer will just default to a basic looking version until infotainment reboots.

I just had an issue where the car didn’t charge despite being plugged in all day and when I checked it at the beginning it and said it was charging at the full 7.5 kW. Also when I pulled out the charger it arced, which should not happen due to the various layers of safety features.

Starting today it was charging just fine however it would not properly display immediate charge to 80% and the slider kept going back to 50%. Rebooting it seem to have correct everything on the car side. Not sure if my EVSE has a separate issue however.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts