Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! can anyone who has gotten their car confirm if the sunroof is laminated or tempered? there should be a marking somewhere on it...

Just curious, as I had the tempered sunroof in my Honda spontaneously shatter in the sun on me recently... Annoyingly they would not cover it under warranty as I could not "prove" that it wasn't a rock on the freeway.

Thanks!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I just looked for a roof glass identification etching, under a close-bright LED light, and could find none. Sorry.
Hi! can anyone who has gotten their car confirm if the sunroof is laminated or tempered? there should be a marking somewhere on it...

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked for a roof glass identification etching, under a close-bright LED light, and could find none. Sorry.
Cool, thanks for checking! I wonder if that means laminated, I feel like tempered needs to be labeled?

·
18 Posts

Just curious, as I had the tempered sunroof in my Honda spontaneously shatter in the sun on me recently... Annoyingly they would not cover it under warranty as I could not "prove" that it wasn't a rock on the freeway.

Thanks!
I took a photo of the marking on the glass roof. I don't understand all the markings, but it does not appear to be laminated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Silly me, I didn't think to look from within. Thanks Jon 👍

I just gave myself a cursory automotive glass education and it must have "TP" in the coding to indicate "tempered." The above does not, so ....

I took a photo of the marking on the glass roof. I don't understand all the markings, but it does not appear to be laminated.
View attachment 2479

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 2479
View attachment 2479
interesting! I found this site that breaks down the markings, seems like the glass type is the V-XI but this chart doesn't have V-XI on it.

·
92 Posts
interesting! I found this site that breaks down the markings, seems like the glass type is the V-XI but this chart doesn't have V-XI on it.

That page looks like it's from 2013, so maybe XI wasn't a thing yet. Here's a page that says (in part) :
V: glass panes with less than 70% light transmittance
XI: laminated-glass panes, except windscreens
Which sounds like V-XI might mean tinted and laminated.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
Hard to tell if laminated glass from my quick research. The V-Xi and AS3 both indicate it is strengthened, but not clear it is laminated. The ID.4 front windshield (and front side windshields from some specs) is definitely laminated, so if someone hard a picture of that code and it says "Laminated" might indicate sunroof is not.

DOT682 - PILKINGTON AUTOMOTIVE LIMITED, ST HELENS WA , ENGLAND
E1 – approve for use in Germany
V-XI – No windscreen use, strengthened, heavily tinted glass
AS3 is the American Standard for that type of glass (strengthened, heavily tinted, possibly laminated or multi-layer sandwich). This can either be laminated or tempered, but it does not permit more than 70% of incoming light to pass. This glass cannot be used on the windshields nor the driver or passenger side front windows.
CCC - Chinese Compulsory Certificate for products to be imported into China

·
18 Posts
Hard to tell if laminated glass from my quick research. The V-Xi and AS3 both indicate it is strengthened, but not clear it is laminated. The ID.4 front windshield (and front side windshields from some specs) is definitely laminated, so if someone hard a picture of that code and it says "Laminated" might indicate sunroof is not.

DOT682 - PILKINGTON AUTOMOTIVE LIMITED, ST HELENS WA , ENGLAND
E1 – approve for use in Germany
V-XI – No windscreen use, strengthened, heavily tinted glass
AS3 is the American Standard for that type of glass (strengthened, heavily tinted, possibly laminated or multi-layer sandwich). This can either be laminated or tempered, but it does not permit more than 70% of incoming light to pass. This glass cannot be used on the windshields nor the driver or passenger side front windows.
CCC - Chinese Compulsory Certificate for products to be imported into China
I am attaching photos of the side drivers window glass code and the windshield code.
20210408_103228.jpg
20210408_103553.jpg

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
Front Windshiled "AS1" is clearest glass with at least 70% light transmission and is laminated.

Front Side Windshields "AS2" - is most likely tempered glass with at least 70% light transmissions. From a US hearing VW mentioned it only used laminated glass on front windshield. This was in discussion for sunroof glass standards.

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
165 Posts
For what it's worth, I asked the VW chat box what glass the panoramic sunroof uses and the correspondent said "Laminated safety glass". I replied by asking her to confirm that the fixed sunroof is laminated and she said "Yes, the sunroof" available only in the ProS and FE models.

So, that's a plus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts