Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you guys. I'm not a fan of using LKA 24/7, and only use it when I feel I need it as a backup.

Today I noticed that it had turned back on. So I went and turned it off in the setting. When I got back in the car later on, LKA was active again.

I'm just wondering of this is the same for your cars. I remember that the setting stayed after restart.

Small backstory is that I had a defective navigation software install (navigation never loads). I just got the car back from the dealer yesterday. They had to reload the whole software on the car. So I'm wondering if this is an issue with the new load of the software. Or if my memory was not serving me right.

TIA

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
434 Posts
I've seen others mentioning that the LKA setting always resets to On after restarting the car

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Always resets back to on for my Jetta, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the same for the ID.4. If I’m not mistaken, NHTSA ratings and such factor in things like automatic safety systems. If you could turn it off and it would stay off, it may effectively lower the ID.4’s score. Not saying that’s what’s going on here, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s something like that!

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I actually passed by my dealer and confirmed it’s the same on their demo car.

Now I guess I need to find a way to make a request to see if they can implement this. I have this function on my other car, there’s a hard button for it, and it stays off unless I turn it on.

·
28 Posts
I read that certain European countries are making Lane Keep assist mandatory as a safety feature, maybe this is why it resets to ON.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, OR
60 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I actually passed by my dealer and confirmed it’s the same on their demo car.

Now I guess I need to find a way to make a request to see if they can implement this. I have this function on my other car, there’s a hard button for it, and it stays off unless I turn it on.
I really dislike the lane keep assist on all the time unless I dig into the menu system and turn it off. A horrible distraction while driving. Same when I want to turn it off. It needs a button next to the home button on the infotainment screen so it is easy to turn on & off. (The HVAC fan button should be there too, but that's another story of misguided screens and human interfaces...)

·
96 Posts
on ALL Chevys this is a physical button on steering wheel and you can turn it off.

It is very dangerous to have this on when driving in city. The ID.4 yanks my steering wheel unexpectedly causing me to fight the car to make a turn in city.

VW needs to copy Chevy and Toyota and allow you to keep it off.

Another bad decision by VW on this one.

·
1,051 Posts
I think that having the setting switched on by default gives them extra “safety points” in the crash tests.

If you don’t like it, the dealer can change the setting to remind whatever it was over restarts, or you buy a hex-net V2 cable from @Andy at Ross-Tech.com and do it yourself. Most likely the change won’t survive the next firmware upgrade, so buying the right cable might eventually be easier

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
231 Posts
on ALL Chevys this is a physical button on steering wheel and you can turn it off.

It is very dangerous to have this on when driving in city. The ID.4 yanks my steering wheel unexpectedly causing me to fight the car to make a turn in city.

VW needs to copy Chevy and Toyota and allow you to keep it off.

Another bad decision by VW on this one.
This.

I'm a guy who even signals in parking lot on a turn and yet I find Lane Assist constantly fighting me. I have to actively remember during an entrance merge that the Lane Assist will kick in randomly.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Red
229 Posts
If you don’t like it, the dealer can change the setting to remind whatever it was over restarts
I am very friendly with my dealer but they won’t change my ID.4’s programming. I’m leasing and they say they don’t want a car they might be taking back to be out of spec.

·
1,051 Posts
I am very friendly with my dealer but they won’t change my ID.4’s programming. I’m leasing and they say they don’t want a car they might be taking back to be out of spec.
it’s a setting, one that they can put back themselves very easily, but I guess that everywhere you’ll get a finicky dealer in between the more customer focuses ones. You could give another one a call or bite the $200 and just order a cable from Andy.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
If your turn signal is activated the LKA is disabled. Since you kindly use yours (as do I) no problem.

I do agree there are times, say in construction zones or sudden roadway widening, where it gets confused. But I've gotten used to it so don't plan to do an aftermarket "last entry" code overwrite. YMMV

One of those VW design decisions (or USA DOT mandates?) where some portion of the user group wasn't going to be satisfied either way.

This.

I'm a guy who even signals in parking lot on a turn and yet I find Lane Assist constantly fighting me. I have to actively remember during an entrance merge that the Lane Assist will kick in randomly.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
578 Posts
If your turn signal is activated the LKA is disabled. Since you kindly use yours (as do I) no problem.

I do agree there are times, say in construction zones or sudden roadway widening, where it gets confused. But I've gotten used to it so don't plan to do an aftermarket "last entry" code overwrite. YMMV

One of those VW design decisions (or USA DOT mandates?) where some portion of the user group wasn't going to be satisfied either way.
I don't find ot obtrusive: it vibrates and only corrects a tad - and it's easy to override by continuing one's movement imo

·
39 Posts
Got a question for you guys. I'm not a fan of using LKA 24/7, and only use it when I feel I need it as a backup.

Today I noticed that it had turned back on. So I went and turned it off in the setting. When I got back in the car later on, LKA was active again.

I'm just wondering of this is the same for your cars. I remember that the setting stayed after restart.

Small backstory is that I had a defective navigation software install (navigation never loads). I just got the car back from the dealer yesterday. They had to reload the whole software on the car. So I'm wondering if this is an issue with the new load of the software. Or if my memory was not serving me right.

TIA
Each time you restart the motor the safety sensors all switch on like it or not. Not sure why you would shut off lane keep assist as this the worst of the two keeps you from leaving the road if albeit in a harsh manner. The travel assist much more accurate to centering you on the road but bumps and other things can shut it off without warning. But when working and mixed with ACC is great. It took me awhile to trust it stopping the car but It does. Still at ten second intervals you must touch the wheel or it will allow you down dangerously to a stop in the middle of traffic. The ten second clock needs to be 30 second or more. Otherwise useless.

·
263 Posts
LKA is an abomination to me. Maybe it’s more aggressive in Sport mode. Anyway you can change the default to Disabled with VCDS. The feature is still there to turn on if you like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts