Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't own a Polestar, and we didn't look at them (no CarPlay support at the time, and I want a hatchback body anyway, though they do plan a crossover smaller than the Polestar 3 in the future).

However, one of the things that was missing is finally being added. This update is being rolled out in waves, which is a common practice to ensure that any uncaught bugs can be dealt with before a lot of users get ensnared.

I personally think it's a shame that Polestar and Volvo haven't put CarPlay in their EVs from the start. I guess something came up in testing and they didn't want to delay releasing the cars.

As for the ID.4 and OTA updates - hopefully once the 3.1.1 update is out there and widely adopted, we'll see more of them here in the US.

Polestar was also on the list of carmakers that are looking at supporting the newer version of CarPlay that can also control systems like radios and air conditioning, and take over the instrument cluster.

As a small aside, it looks like Herbert Diess thinks Apple isn't making a car on its own anymore, if it ever planned to, and may be focusing on in-car interfaces to supplement what carmakers provide stock. I do think CarPlay and Android Auto are a good idea, given we replace our phones more often than our cars and, at least in the case of iOS, major updates come out yearly. Phone makers can therefore adapt to new trends more quickly than carmakers will, and we know how hard it is to provide updates to already-sold cars.

There'll have to be limitations to what can be tweaked thanks to regulations. For instance, in the US auto/brake hold systems must indicate their status in green, and there are displays that are required and can't be hidden. But outside of that, I think allowing users choice of what they see is great.

Reactions: Huey52

·
548 Posts
I have a Polestar 2. Having Carplay isn't a big deal to me. The core OS (AAOS) is solid. The real issue is really lack of access to the Google ecosystem. There's not a lot of 3rd party apps available (yet) and assume it will come in time.

With the ID.4, Carplay is basically essential but I don't really get the fervor from the Polestar owners for Carplay and I'm an iPhone user.

Some want to navigate via Apple Maps but have it interface with the car for scheduling charging stops and preconditioning while navigating. The native Google-based system already does this!

One wants to be able to use Whatsapp through the car. Others want various different music streaming services.

BTW the rollout was temporarily postponed due to a couple glitches (minor) which showed up in the first wave of installs. The intel is that the OTA will restart sometime next week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts