Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who already have home chargers, or have done the research on a new charger, what brand are you going with? This is my first EV. I am going to go with a 40 amp charger. Outdoor install. Also, plug installation vs hardwire. Any insight will be helpful to us newbies.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
This is my first EV too. I ended up with a ChargePoint Home Flex on a 50 amp circuit. I was looking at lots of options, but in my house I did not have an existing 240v circuit in my garage, so whatever I installed was going to be new. I also had a 200 amp panel, so there was ample space to expand. Given that, the cost to go with the maximum wired plug led me to 40 amp EVSE devices. I was really intrigued with the Grizzl-E smart EVSE and almost pulled the trigger, but Chargepoint had a black friday sale that saved a few bucks. I went with Chargepoint because of warranty and lifespan; while you can't be certain, this is a larger company that I suspect will be a player for some time. Other criteria that I considered important were OCPP support (aka smart charger) as well as reasonable app support for scheduling. Will I ever need 40amps to charge overnight? probably not, but the option is there.

Reactions: PGilly and ErickF

·
163 Posts
I installed a 40 amp, hardwired, Clipper Creek unit outdoors. It’s NEMA 4 rated for weather, it comes with a 25-foot cable, and it has a holster to protect the connector when not in use. It’s a dumb charger, and it‘s a bit big.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
ChargePoint myself.

Yunno, there are already threads for most everything at this point. No real need to start a new one. Search is your friend. ;)
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 7.04.36 AM.png

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
I self-installed a ChargePoint Home Flex with a NEMA 14-50 plug. Bought it on e-Bay for $569.99 New. It is on a 40 amp circuit. For the installation, I followed this video.

·
115 Posts
I went with the basic Grizzl-E. There are no discounts for connected EVSE’s from my local power company and the car itself has smart connectivity. I’ve had two PHEV’s, but Audi supplies L2 EVSE’s, so this is my first time buying one. I only have a 30A circuit, but I was working from home before the pandemic, so I shouldn’t be draining my battery frequently or in rush to charge to 80%.

I may get the Amazing-E as a travel charger. If I drive it to Charlotte to see my dad, he has an utility room next to the driveway with a dryer. An portable EVSE with a long cord should work.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Not my first EV and I have a plug-in JuiceBox Pro 40. I’ll be upgrading to the hardwired 48-amp version to take full advantage of the ID.4’s onboard charger. For those looking to DIY tbe install for the appropriate 240v circuit and outlet/hardwire connection, make sure you are very familiar with electrical code requirements. If you screw up, and there is a fire, you’re providing your insurance company with a great reason to deny your claim.

·
49 Posts
We have a ClipperCreek for our current EV. I have been very happy with ClipperCreek in the past and they were very helpful in debugging a problem in my early car (Fiat 500E with a wiring harness issue). The EVSE is made in the US and very solid. It is a bit clunkier than the ChargePoint, though, but it does come in a 48Amp version

I could not find the specs for the ChargePoint. Can it deliver the full 11kW given the right supply circuit?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
Ah! Found it. Brochure indicates that provides 12kW on a 50 Amp
To be able to get 50A, you need to have hard wired unit. 14-50 or 6-50 outlet will be capped at 40A or 9.6kW (40A × 240V).

Reactions: epl

·
ID.4 Pro S, Moonstone Gray w/Galaxy Black
32 Posts
I went with an Enel X JuiceBox 40 (plug installation) ($619.00). Great smart charger and will work with other smart charges (when we get a second EV) to coordinate the charging. Decided on the plug so I could take it with me if/when we move. Felt that sacrificing 8amps was worth the portability. Had an electric company run a line and install a NEMA 14-50 ($685) (4 runs of 6 guage wire is expensive). Was going to do it myself but since I could get 30% back in tax credit, it ended up being about what I would have saved doing it my self, not to mention the aggravation :)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
I went with an Enel X JuiceBox 40 (plug installation) ($619.00). Great smart charger and will work with other smart charges (when we get a second EV) to coordinate the charging. Decided on the plug so I could take it with me if/when we move. Felt that sacrificing 8amps was worth the portability. Had an electric company run a line and install a NEMA 14-50 ($685) (4 runs of 6 guage wire is expensive). Was going to do it myself but since I could get 30% back in tax credit, it ended up being about what I would have saved doing it my self, not to mention the aggravation :)
Thats probably the only advantage of 6-50. You only need 3 runs of 6 gauge wire.

·
5 Posts
I have purchased a few chargers for myself and other family members over the last 5 years including a few from Amazon. The very 1st one is this DUSA unit that put out 3.8kw for my chevy Spark EV Dostar Duosida 16A 3.84kW Portable Charging Station - EVSE D25-16A
This vendor will also make / supply plug adapters to allow this unit to work on 110 volt - or 220 volt (I have 3 adapters) allows me to use this as a travel unit now.
I also have 14-50 (which was the most used until recently) 30 amp unit on my garage wall. I can unplug it and use adapter plugs also. As of now I only have 30 amp wiring at home and it works with my 2019 eGolf.
FYI: OpenEVSE Advanced Series - 40amp 240volt Indoor/Outdoor Charging Station Here is a unit that will work at 110V and 220V up to 40 amp (10kw output) just order the plug and/or adapters you want to have on hand. It's WiFi enabled and lets you select how many amps max output if your wiring is only 30 now. This will work on many cars as they only take (3kw-7kw-9kw) depending on their bult-in units.

·
104 Posts
I got a Grizzl-E. An electrician installed the outlet for $340. Just the wire (35') was over $100, so I thought that was very reasonable. And I know it was done right.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
I have an inexpensive (<$350) 32amp Amazon charger for my Bolt and that's all it can handle. It has worked flawlessly for 2+ years. I am considering getting a 40amp unit, but charging overnight to full, I doubt I will notice any charging time differences. Set it & forget it 'till morning... What I have is IP66 rated and the instructions say not to leave it plugged in. Plugging in and unplugging at every charge is inconvenient for sure.

That said, I do wish I had a wi-fi enabled charger so that I can keep track of what's going on. At replacement time I'll go with an outdoor rated wall hanging charger like the OpenEVSE.

·
253 Posts
Since we are renting at the moment, I went with the NeoCharge and Primecom.tech with adjustable amperage. Need to share the 240V outlet with the dryer.

Reactions: stealthg

·
30 Posts
I have an inexpensive (<$350) 32amp Amazon charger for my Bolt and that's all it can handle. It has worked flawlessly for 2+ years. I am considering getting a 40amp unit, but charging overnight to full, I doubt I will notice any charging time differences. Set it & forget it 'till morning... What I have is IP66 rated and the instructions say not to leave it plugged in. Plugging in and unplugging at every charge is inconvenient for sure.

That said, I do wish I had a wi-fi enabled charger so that I can keep track of what's going on. At replacement time I'll go with an outdoor rated wall hanging charger like the OpenEVSE.
For those of you who already have home chargers, or have done the research on a new charger, what brand are you going with? This is my first EV. I am going to go with a 40 amp charger. Outdoor install. Also, plug installation vs hardwire. Any insight will be helpful to us newbies.
I went with Chargepoint as well. Installed new 50a circuit and liked the plug in aspect of the Chargepoint. Installed in December to take advantage of the EVSV tax credit

1 - 20 of 150 Posts