Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro Statement, White
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a free Chargepoint Level 2 charger close to my home. I only started using it yesterday.

My experience:
Yesterday 1 hour - went from 103 miles to 111 in 1 hour, typical Level 2 charge.

Early this morning I dropped it off and left, thinking I had until about 2:30 PM to an 80% SOC. This lightning bolt started giving me about 20 miles per hour of charging time. I was watching it tick up on my VW app. I didn't even make it to lunchtime before going back to disconnect it from the charger.

Is that considered a harmful "fast charge"? I did not expect it to clock that high, especially when it was so slow the evening before.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
No worries. The ID.4 itself is the brains behind the charging evolution and will only take what it needs in an appropriate manner. The EVSE is just a fancy "pipe" for the current. And also it was "only" a Level 2 charge.

btw: My home L2 is set to "charge immediately to 50%" even tho' I could do with less and I have no concerns.

·
VW e-Golf 2019, VW ID.4 Pro Performance arriving in summer, maybe.
99 Posts
Yesterday 1 hour - went from 103 miles to 111 in 1 hour, typical Level 2 charge.
That is so slow that you can see the ions moving.
This lightning bolt started giving me about 20 miles per hour of charging time.
This is closer to what I would expect. Nothing harmful there.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,513 Posts
The "miles per hour" as an indicator of charging speed is unreliable.

Drive it like a race car to the charger and you'll see it at a slower speed than if you drive it like grandma.

Same EVSE, same amperage, just that the car is using different data to convert kWs to MPH.

In the update we'll see VW provide us with kWs on the charging screen, which is the only reliable indication of at what rate the car is actually charging (other than time vs.% SOC).

·
113 Posts
The idea that charging the ID4 will damage it is way overblown. There is nothing that any L2, even at 48A, even to 100% charge, is ever going to do to damage the battery.

Continual and consistent DCFC charging to 100% may have a slight impact to battery capacity. No other charging model will.

Charging at 20MPH as opposed to charging at 7 MPM (miles per minute) is the difference between drinking from a water fountain and trying to drink from a fire hose full blast. There's no comparison.

ga2500ev

·
113 Posts
The "miles per hour" as an indicator of charging speed is unreliable.

Drive it like a race car to the charger and you'll see it at a slower speed than if you drive it like grandma.

Same EVSE, same amperage, just that the car is using different data to convert kWs to MPH.

In the update we'll see VW provide us with kWs on the charging screen, which is the only reliable indication of at what rate the car is actually charging (other than time vs.% SOC).
Except that it's not. That speed displayed is specifically tuned to 3 miles/kWh. It's computed directly from the kW rate of the charger input.

For example if the ID4 is charging at 90 kW, that translates to 270 miles/hr. Divide by 60 and the display will show 4 miles/minute.

It amazing what one can figure out when sitting in the drivers seat during a 40+ minute charging session.

ga2500ev

·
3,513 Posts
I can swear I've seen that rate vary, but I also never pay super close attention to it except when I've been testing various EVSEs. Either way, it's still not a great way to measure charge rate, especially if it is indeed a direct conversion as you've observed, I'll have no correlation to the range displayed on the GOM, as that does vary wildly depending on recent driving habits.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is so slow that you can see the ions moving.

This is closer to what I would expect. Nothing harmful there.
Good to know. Some responses got carried away with driving speed and kwh on the charging screen.
I go by the battery mileage on the display which has been very reliable. I didn't do any crazy math, all I know is I gained 90 miles in 4 1/2 hours.

Russia can kiss my gas!!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
987 Posts
Except that it's not. That speed displayed is specifically tuned to 3 miles/kWh. It's computed directly from the kW rate of the charger input.

For example if the ID4 is charging at 90 kW, that translates to 270 miles/hr. Divide by 60 and the display will show 4 miles/minute.

It amazing what one can figure out when sitting in the drivers seat during a 40+ minute charging session.
. . . . and this is written in some VW literature somewhere (please post a link) or it's just something that you've personally observed? When something 'new' turns up on a forum, it's best that we see where it actually comes from, rather than just taking someone's observation or recollection as a fact - Not everything you read on the Internet is true . . . .

·
3,513 Posts
Mine was based on observation, too, and I'm willing to bet I'm wrong if @ga2500ev has actually been watching his and taking notes. I normally watch kW at the DCFC screen or just take note of the estimated time of completion and do a quick mental conversion in the case I'm visiting a public L2, which is almost never.

·
113 Posts
. . . . and this is written in some VW literature somewhere (please post a link) or it's just something that you've personally observed? When something 'new' turns up on a forum, it's best that we see where it actually comes from, rather than just taking someone's observation or recollection as a fact - Not everything you read on the Internet is true . . . .
Observation. Got tired of craning my head to figure out the charge rate on EA stations. Noted how the charge rate on the station matched up with the MPH/MPM shown on the ID4 screen.

ga2500ev

·
987 Posts
Mine was based on observation, too, and I'm willing to bet I'm wrong if @ga2500ev has actually been watching his and taking notes. I normally watch kW at the DCFC screen or just take note of the estimated time of completion and do a quick mental conversion in the case I'm visiting a public L2, which is almost never.
Mine seems all over the place when I watch it on my home L2 - The charge amps are always the same, but how fast it's charging in miles seems to depend on whether I've recently been running down the freeway . . . or not

In almost all cases with anything related to miles, the GOM figures are dependent on how you've been driving recently, so if there is some factual, published data saying that when charging it's always pegged at 3 miles per KWH, well that would be very interesting to know, if it's a fact. I understand it could appear to be that way and often, but often isn't always . . . . or is it?

·
113 Posts
Mine seems all over the place when I watch it on my home L2 - The charge amps are always the same, but how fast it's charging in miles seems to depend on whether I've recently been running down the freeway . . . or not

In almost all cases with anything related to miles, the GOM figures are dependent on how you've been driving recently, so if there is some factual, published data saying that when charging it's always pegged at 3 miles per KWH, well that would be very interesting to know, if it's a fact. I understand it could appear to be that way and often, but often isn't always . . . . or is it?
It seems you are confusing two different items. I'm not talking about the range on the GOM, which is dependent on a number of environmental and historical factors. I'm referring only to the rate of recharge on the Vehicle Charging info screen.

ga2500ev

·
987 Posts
It seems you are confusing two different items. I'm not talking about the range on the GOM, which is dependent on a number of environmental and historical factors. I'm referring only to the rate of recharge on the Vehicle Charging info screen.
Me too - I just assumed (bad thing to do I know) that because that number varies from day to day (for me) with the same L2 amps charge that that miles per hour number was probably also associated with the GOM computations

When using DCQC, the number is pretty steady - 7 miles per minute when the charging station shows 125 Kw and then 6 miles per minute when it drops down a bit and finally 5 miles per minute as it nears 30 or 40 percent. It does not show any varying decimal number, such as 6.5 miles per minute like you would expect if it was an actual computation, so maybe that is a fixed number related to 3 miles per Kw as you stated - I have no idea. My only question was . . . . do we know for sure this is a fact, or is it just an observation and is the observation always the same? You stated it emphatically like it was a fact and I was just looking for evidence

·
3,513 Posts

More research required! MPH charging is definitely variable, but I'm not sure how.

I plugged in to my 40A EVSE this morning.

Screen showed a charge rate of 32 MPH, then 33, then back down to 32, then back up to 33 -- it was changing maybe every 15 seconds.

That puts it in the 3.35 miles per kWh range.

Then I took the car out to run a few errands. I tried to drive like an idiot -- sport mode, flooring it where I could, took the freeway instead of the streets, knocked my GOM down considerably in the first few miles. Couldn't manage to put much of a dent in the mi/kWh average, though -- still hovering around 3.0.

When I arrived home 18 miles later, I was surprised! I plugged back in, and was met with a slightly higher charge rate of 35 MPH.

So to flush this out I'll need to take a longer low-efficiency drive, and I'll also need to check my household voltage for fluctuations, and I should do both tests after the car has been driven, just to make sure I'm not overlooking any benefits from a warm battery (I doubt that's a factor on a nice 65° day).

But at first glance, the ID.4 doesn't seem to be locked to any charging rate table.

·
364 Posts
I found a free Chargepoint Level 2 charger close to my home. I only started using it yesterday.

My experience:

Early this morning I dropped it off and left, thinking I had until about 2:30 PM to an 80% SOC. This lightning bolt started giving me about 20 miles per hour of charging time. I was watching it tick up on my VW app. I didn't even make it to lunchtime before going back to disconnect it from the charger.

Is that considered a harmful "fast charge"? I did not expect it to clock that high, especially when it was so slow the evening before.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Assuming 3 miles/kwh, the 20 miles/hr would translate to about 6.6 kwh, which is a very typical Chargepoint L2 charging speed from what I have seen. No worries.

Dave

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Assuming 3 miles/kwh, the 20 miles/hr would translate to about 6.6 kwh, which is a very typical Chargepoint L2 charging speed from what I have seen. No worries.

Dave
Thank you for a simple response.
I don't know why so many posts are arguing the mileage reported on the display as unreliable. The car would stop charging at 80% of the mileage range, so it seems that it would be correct. I've had the car 8 months now and have never found it to be incorrect. But I did learn the hard way that driving over 65 mph or constant fast accelerations will use more miles than the actual trip. Driving nice and easy is the way to get the most out of the battery charge although it is tempting to get carried away with the power.
I am still a bit disappointed that one charger was so much slower than the other on the same machine.

·
3,513 Posts
I'm just saying that if the display says 35 one day, and 32 the next, it doesn't mean the car is charging slower. It should report 9.6 kW (which it will, soon) and that's a meaningful indication of how much power the car is taking in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts