Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
191 Posts
My Emporia is hardwired, and puts out 11.5kW. Easy to configure for what I want. Works with TOU, but car can also request the charge. Power level adjustable using app. Power set from 6A to 48A on app. Charting on app. Long cord, with holder. $399 from manufacturer or Amazon. I did run it with 14-50, but temporarily until I got 24' of 6/2 to hook it up.

Note that if hardwiring, I could use 6/2 at about $2+/ft. If 14-50 I would need 6/3 at $7+/ft. Also 14-50 plugs are limited to 40A but hardwire can run full 48A of charger. If your run is longer you might need heavier wire. Breaker at 60A for 6/2.

I looked at almost every unit before buying this one, and remain comfortable with the choice.

2,040 Posts
I’ve had a Clipper Creek unit on the side of my house for 5 years, and it’s still going strong. Works every time I plug it in. They have a reputation for making reliable, long-lasting products, and all are UL or ETL Listed. It doesn’t have an app or any “smart” features, but it does one thing really well: it charges your car without issue every time. Anecdotally on this forum, nearly every Level 2 AC charging issue I’ve seen reported here over the past 1.5 years is related to a “smart” EVSE.

If you have a TOU electric plan, you’ll have to use the ID.4’s in-car scheduling to take advantage of the reduced rates, though.

1,838 Posts
I have that model of CC. Faultless service for 18 months and 30 to 33 miles per hour charge rate. We don’t have time of use charging but plugging it in before bedtime isn’t too difficult to remember.

1,140 Posts
If charging at 11.5 kW/h then your cost would be: $0.147 * 11.5 = $1.6905 / hr
There is no such thing as kW/h.

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
191 Posts
Max out put of the HCS is 11.2kw, but the ID4 max in put is 11 kw
Emporia shows and I measure just a little over 11.5kW with the ID.4. Mine is 2023MY. Since the current is likely all that is limited, my guess is that line voltage comes into play. Here, nominally that is 246V, which might explain the higher power throughput of the device. 11.2 vs 11 vs 11.5 is probably noise in how they are spec'd.

With the app you can setup time of use so that it always applies, but if you need a charge sooner, you can change it via the app, without going to the car.

4,122 Posts
Max out put of the HCS is 11.2kw, but the ID4 max in put is 11 kw
Your post is incorrect.
Max for ID4 is dependent on voltage under load.
Under load voltage example
240V X 48A = 11.52 kw
246V X 48A = 11.808 kw.
208V X 48A = 9.984 kw ( most common across US for split phase voltage)
Max input of ID4 converter is set by current ( 48A max) and depending on voltage under load it will accept up to J1772 standard voltage.

1,498 Posts
208V X 48A = 9.984 kw ( most common across US for split phase voltage)
I'm going to pick one nit here:
  • “Split phase” refers to two 120 legs separated by 180° (so 240V leg-to-leg) service and this is most common in US homes.

• “Three phase” refers to three 120 volt legs separated by 120° (so 208V leg-to-leg) and in the US, is usually only found in industrial or commercial settings.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
And I was using the common vernacular that a newbie would understand.
Noted and appreciated. However the only way a "newbie" will learn is to use the proper vernacular. Thus I modified the title, as I often do. ;)
Don't fault me for correcting, but the L1, and L2 devices are not chargers. They are EVSE, which stands for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. (They're fancy extension cords.) The Charger is in the car. Don't shoot the messenger.:cool:

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
191 Posts
Don't fault me for correcting, but the L1, and L2 devices are not chargers. They are EVSE, which stands for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. (They're fancy extension cords.) The Charger is in the car. Don't shoot the messenger.:cool:
You are right of course. However, there is a tendency in any area to reduce the technical jargon, and make things simpler for the new folks.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
You are right of course. However, there is a tendency in any area to reduce the technical jargon, and make things simpler for the new folks.
We here try to go the other way and instill proper terminology, especially given this still young and evolving EV technology. Although for the sake of our common understanding we do at times come up with our own short hand, such as "binnacle" for the steering mounted display.
We're all still learning. ;)
I too was once a "Newbie" (as were every one of you.) At some point (preferably earlier rather than later) I needed to learn the correct terminology in order to communicate properly with fellow EV owners. On that note, I'm still learning.:cool:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts