Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
2,663 Posts
The three month -cycle is not happening. I can PM you a link to a podcast where the country manager of VW (not Germany) flat out says that he doesn't believe that it will be achieved and it doesn't even seem to be the goal anymore. Just be warned, it's in a language considered one of the most difficult in the world to learn. And google translate isn't going to cut it on Spotify podcast.
Many English speaking people may not realize that English is in fact one of the hardest languages for non English speakers to learn. Lots of slang, idioms, inconsistent spelling and grammar rules.

· Premium Member
2,663 Posts
PLEASE have them add a manual preheat button as well, that can be turned off again as well, and just turns off as soon as the battery reaches the optimal temp (20 degrees c?)
I have too little faith in VW automating stuff 100% correctly every time, and the ability to preheat the battery for optimal charging manually will fix most of corner cases where automation fails.
It isn't just automation failing - people might not be using builtin navi. Maybe you are just going to a charger you have been to before, so no directions needed. A manual override of some sort (with a voice action to turn on), and an indicator icon on the binnacle that shows when it is on.

· Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Being able to see the problem and admit to the problem is the first step in correcting the problem.

And as I've said, I really like my ID.4; I just detest the utterly-incompetent software with which it is equipped.
I think the engineers have known for a while how hard some of these problems are. And some of it is just VW taking stuff in house and not letting vendors own the SW any more.

· Premium Member
2,663 Posts
As someone who works in a similar space: please don’t ask engineers or the like to be able to make any statements on upcoming/unreleased products, updates, etc. Even in cases where the upper management isn’t communicating well or at all. For two reasons:

1) In many cases, if it hasn’t been given the OK by management, and it hasn’t been disclosed by the company already (i.e. it isn’t already public knowledge), management will get upset when they find out. It should be assumed the company will retaliate against the employee.
2) Things do happen during development, and so disclosures like this can have unintended consequences. In the sense of creating unintentional promises, providing intel to competitors, and so on. So management tends to run this stuff through processes intended to avoid that sort of thing. Some do it better than others, clearly.

To give you an example of what can happen, there was a project that had a yearly hardware cycle. So it’s common that when that year’s hardware is out the door, within a month or two, there’s engineering samples available for next year’s hardware so that work on software can go forward. Someone leaked information on one of those first engineering samples. It caused a huge stir in the blogosphere to the tune of “Oh, they are replacing X already?” as everyone assumed it was nearly ready to ship. It was also hardware from a partner company, so it damaged the relationship between the two companies. All this because one person decided to share details of a project in progress that wasn’t due for nearly a year.
Years ago, I worked in a space where people worked on things that were classified. Our stuff was pretty low level only classification - there were others working on real secret squirrel stuff, and they couldn't even tell us what it had to do with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts