Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,248 Posts
One for the Right-side and 1 for the Left-side (Verified)
Ok, so what happens if one of the plugs is disconnected? Why there are two connections for such a simple part has been the million dollar question.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,248 Posts
Correct! While I was doing the installation I had one side connected. Here is a picture of what it looks like 1/2 lit.

View attachment 4934
Hey, thanks man! You da man!

Why, VW, why? Why was this deemed the light that must never go out?

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Here is the write up as promised.

You cannot use the female 1.2 mm VW plugs 4F0973702 and 4F0973702A on the lighted badge.

You have to buy 11G973702 and 11G973702A housings and remove the wires from another female 1.2 mm VW plugs. I went to a junkyard and pulled two plugs with wires from a VW (5K0959659). It cost me $6.88 plus a whole lot of sweat (95F at the time) and possibly dengue fever, yellow fever, zika or West Nile Virus from mosquito bites.

Another option is to get get 2 black wires here and 2 red wires here, for $3.84, but it costs $42.77 for shipping.

You can also buy the wire harness 11A-971-095-R and cut the 11G973702 and 11G973702A plugs from it like @Y2k1258 did here and pay $70+ plus shipping.

There is a complete kit, VW Badge and wires, available in Germany here.

Any clarification or questions, please reach out to me.

Attachments

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (4/20/2021) & Pro/S (8/20/21)
473 Posts
Way to go man! Thanks for posting.... I have ordered everything and it is all on it's way (except for 1 of the two pug housings - they say 2 weeks, but I think I found it somewhere else and ordered it again for $3). Looking forward to following the steps and getting it installed. Doesn't look too bad. When it's up and running, I'll make a donation to your charity of choice for your time and effort. :)

·
15 Posts
On the non-FE with the lighted front VW Badge. When is it illuminated? With DRL's ON or only when the lighted bars are on (with headlights)? I'm like to wire my FE-retrofit to come on with the DRL's also. Any info would be appreciated,
Anyone have access to the wiring diagram or the front lighting. The lighted cross bars only come on with the headlights, I'd like the VW Badge to come on with the DRLs (loops around the headlights). The loops are also the turn signals (amber switchback). Or as a next-best option, find switched power at the fuse block in the frunk. Any advise is appreciated.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Anyone have access to the wiring diagram or the front lighting. The lighted cross bars only come on with the headlights, I'd like the VW Badge to come on with the DRLs (loops around the headlights). The loops are also the turn signals (amber switchback). Or as a next-best option, find switched power at the fuse block in the frunk. Any advise is appreciated.
I'll try to find out which wires run the DRLs. I did find out that pins 5 (brown wire negative) and 6 (positive wire) on the headlight plugs turn on the headlights. I'm trying to build a wire harness that is long enough to connect the positive and negative from the badge to the main headlight wires for non-Pro S ID.4. Once I find out, I'll post it here.

Attachments

·
15 Posts
I'll try to find out which wires run the DRLs. I did find out that pins 5 (brown wire negative) and 6 (positive wire) on the headlight plugs turn on the headlights. I'm trying to build a wire harness that is long enough to connect the positive and negative from the badge to the main headlight wires for non-Pro S ID.4. Once I find out, I'll post it here.
You are a step ahead of me, I took those same pictures this evening to post. (From my FE in USA)
Both Headlights have 6 wires 2 are larger than the rest #5 and #6,
1 - Or/Gr
2 - Or/Bk
5 - Brown
6 - Bk/Violet (or Violet/Bk)
9 - R/Bl
10 - R/Gr

Right
1 - Or/Gr
2 - Or/Br
5 - Brown
6 - Light Bl/Bk
9 - R/Wh
10 R/Bk

·
15 Posts
You are a step ahead of me, I took those same pictures this evening to post. (From my FE in USA)
Both Headlights have 6 wires 2 are larger than the rest #5 and #6,
1 - Or/Gr
2 - Or/Bk
5 - Brown
6 - Bk/Violet (or Violet/Bk)
9 - R/Bl
10 - R/Gr

Right
1 - Or/Gr
2 - Or/Br
5 - Brown
6 - Light Bl/Bk
9 - R/Wh
10 R/Bk
So noticed that the color of the wires on the center bars are the same colors as are on pin 9 of each of the headlights
Left R/Bl and Brown
Right R/Wh and brown

·
First Edition Glacier White
51 Posts

You cannot use the female 1.2 mm VW plugs 4F0973702 and 4F0973702A on the lighted badge.

You have to buy 11G973702 and 11G973702A housings and remove the wires from another female 1.2 mm VW plugs. I went to a junkyard and pulled two plugs with wires from a VW (5K0959659). It cost me $6.88 plus a whole lot of sweat (95F at the time) and possibly dengue fever, yellow fever, zika or West Nile Virus from mosquito bites.

Another option is to get get 2 black wires here and 2 red wires here, for $3.84, but it costs $42.77 for shipping.

You can also buy the wire harness 11A-971-095-R and cut the 11G973702 and 11G973702A plugs from it like @Y2k1258 did here and pay $70+ plus shipping.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Javi are you indicating if u buy the complete kit from Germany it is plug and play??? And is it easy to install. Thanks
Is not plug and play. I was able to get a hold of their "super secret" installation instructions and you still have to connect the wires using a crimp or solder joint inside the cabin routing through the firewall. If you live here in the US, don't waste your money on that kit. It is 349.00 EUR plus shipping (about $411.00). You can make your own wires with my instructions by buying two "sacrificial" 4F0973702A or 4F0973702 off of eBay at $10 each or do what I did by going to your local junkyard.

Do a Google search for the badge number 11A853600AAWA go to each site and add housings 11G973702 and 11G973702A go to the cart and see what the shipping cost is. Enter the information on a spreadsheet and choose the one that offers the lowest total price. If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you the spreadsheet I used.

The total cost for me for all parts including shipping was $285.

Hope this helps.

·
15 Posts
So noticed that the color of the wires on the center bars are the same colors as are on pin 9 of each of the headlights
Left R/Bl and Brown
Right R/Wh and brown
I could live with the front VW Badge being a slave to the DRLs. Meaning when the right blinker is on (amber, white drl is off), the right side of the badge would be dim (off), same with left side. Actually might be cute.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts