Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been really wanting to get movies to play in the ID4. At this point I'm sort of leaning on using an iPad and giving up, but wanted to see what other insight there may be. I've read some past threads on here. A summary of what I understand to be methods to play videos are as follows:
  • USB Stick. But, problematic as video formatting is an issue.
  • Apps that you can download that enable video. These are hit or miss, typically paid, and messy.
Volkswagen really needs to open this up and same with CarPlay/Android Auto out of the box. We should be able to have the Netflix App etc. on screen and usable when the vehicle is parked. I guess in reality it's probably not easy for software like CarPlay to have that level of communication with the vehicle (e.g., knowing it's in Park)... I get that the GPS and accelerometers in the device could determine the vehicle being in motion or being stopped, but I assume there's issues with it.

I did notice that in the VW 3.0 software update that is forthcoming, there is a "Shop" icon in the infotainment system and appears to be something like an App Store. I really hope that is the case and also things like a Netflix App become native to the infotainment system. That would be ideal.

·
2 Posts
I agree with everything you said. For now I just put my iPad over the infotainment system but would love native support. Also this is intriguing…

·
30 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't see a reference in the discussion about limiting its use to charging sessions. Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts