Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called me to EA because she had a red light on the ID.4's charge port and couldn't disconnect to charging handle.

After trying the other methods to unlock the charging handle, I accessed the emergency charger disconnect pull-cable (read your owners manual! It's housed alongside a high voltage cut-off cable and I don't want to find out what that does.) and when pulled, we both heard a POP at the charge port. It was still locked though, so I pulled the emergency release again and the dang "handle" came off! It looks like it's just crimped to the cable and is probably intentionally designed to pull off if pulled too hard to prevent damaging the release mechanism.

I think what happened that led to the charging fault is she plugged in and used the EA app, selected the charger, but then swiped her phone on the RFID reader, so EA probably was seeing simultaneous attempts to initiate the same charger. When we started over and used the app only, it worked fine.

·
12 Posts
I had similar problems on my first couple of EA attempts. The first time I was on the phone with EA for 45 minutes, but eventually after a couple of resents of the chargers, I got the white light and could decouple. EA customer service representatives have been invariably patient and helpful. On one occasion the 2x pressing of the unlock on the keyfob worked. We just got back from a road tirp of some 1400 miles with about 8 charges and we have used both the swipe in app and the RF methods. In one case, the swipe did not show up but the RF worked. We have the EA app installed on both of our iphones and it has worked from both. So far, I have not had to or tried on use from another provider.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Thank you, I'm glad to know that trick. Wife and I had the same problems, right down to reading the phone instead of the app (and got charged for it, too!), and had to get on the phone for half an hour. Sad thing was there was a line of three of us all on the phone with customer service for various problems (us, i3, and eTron).

Customer service told me to always and only use the swipe to pay method from here on out. I still haven't figured out whether I plug it in then swipe or swipe then plug in so I end up doing some weird double fisting dance with my charger and phone...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Customer service told me to always and only use the swipe to pay method from here on out. I still haven't figured out whether I plug it in then swipe or swipe then plug in so I end up doing some weird double fisting dance with my charger and phone...
What I use with success is to first plug in the car before doing anything else. Then wait for 20-30 seconds for the car and the charger to communicate. Then I hold my phone up over the NFC spot on the charger - usually just a few seconds is all that is needed. After that, I start to hear noises out of the cabinet (fans, relays, etc), and the charging begins.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only initiated through the app (EA confusingly calls it Swipe to Pay in their FAQ referring to the slider control on the app display that's used to start the session), and it's mostly worked fine.

I inadvertently Tapped to Pay once when EA was showing a charger out of service on the app. I taped my phone on the credit card reader instead of the unmarked black rectangle, and it started billing me, so I canceled out.

I'm be sure to try a proper tap next time.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I've only initiated through the app (EA confusingly calls it Swipe to Pay in their FAQ referring to the slider control on the app display that's used to start the session), and it's mostly worked fine.

I inadvertently Tapped to Pay once when EA was showing a charger out of service on the app. I taped my phone on the credit card reader instead of the unmarked black rectangle, and it started billing me, so I canceled out.

I'm be sure to try a proper tap next time.
"I'm pretty sure it's charging me"
Wife: "just give it a few minutes, maybe it 'charges' and then zeros it so we can see how much we saved"
weighs the $10 charge vs. any other likely path this conversation might go
"yeah, that's probably what's it's doing..."

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
It is weird - I was trying to figure out what it was that was being swiped in the app.

I start by plugging in the car, and then waiting for 20 seconds or so for the car to communicate. Then I just hold my phone up over the NFC antenna on the cabinet - I see messages about payment being authorized - that happens in a second or two, and then I hear clunks and fans in the cabinet and charging starts.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
It is weird - I was trying to figure out what it was that was being swiped in the app.
You won't see it unless you're next to the charger. It's greyed out otherwise, but there's a slider that will start the charge once everything is connected.

·
562 Posts
You won't see it unless you're next to the charger. It's greyed out otherwise, but there's a slider that will start the charge once everything is connected.
I made some kind of mistake at a 350 kW EA charger. After about 3 min I shut it down. It wasn't using the ID4 plan. The EA charger indicated I would be charged 0.43 + 0.06 tax. I called EA and they refunded my money and I'm back to 10.00.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
I made some kind of mistake at a 350 kW EA charger. After about 3 min I shut it down. It wasn't using the ID4 plan. The EA charger indicated I would be charged 0.43 + 0.06 tax. I called EA and they refunded my money and I'm back to 10.00.
Back to 10.00?

·
562 Posts
Back to 10.00?
Yes, I had to prepay $10.00 to cover any overtime I might incur. If the $10.00 became used then EA would replenish the the $10.00 automatically from my credit card on record.
If I leave the car charging I always subtract 10 min to return before any overtime can charged.
One time I set the FE to charge to 90%. I was 75 mi from home. EA sent me an email that I was at 80% charged.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah if you haven't registered yet, you'll need to enter a payment method for non-freebie charging sessions or dwell time. $10 appears to be the minimum auto reload amount, which is replenished whenever the account drops below $5..

·
67 Posts
My cable broke trying to get my level 2 home charger to release.
I guess another trip back to the dealer.
Never could get it to release or get indicator light to turn white no matter how many times I hit the key fob.
I turned breaker off and led light was still green and would not budge. That’s when I tried the cable pull (the not flag cable) and never did release. It broke on my second attempt. It looks like it is attached by a screw. Finally got the charger out…..I believe with a lock and wait a few then unlock again released the charger.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw a pic somewhere where the release cable was routed incorrectly at the factory, creating excess friction when attempting to release. I'm curious if mine has that problem.

·
160 Posts
I saw a pic somewhere where the release cable was routed incorrectly at the factory, creating excess friction when attempting to release. I'm curious if mine has that problem.
That is known assembly issue you should definitely mention on your next visit to VW .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts