Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the setting on to lower side mirrors when reversing in the mirror settings, but I've never seen it move. Has anyone gotten it to work?

·
217 Posts
Someone mentioned page 108 in the Owner's Manual. I honestly haven't been able to get it to work yet. I blame the unintuitive UX, the badly written manual and laziness on my part.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Mine does work but as stated above, you must have the mirror control set to "R". Followed the manual to get it set up.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
We collectively complain about the lack of some hard buttons/switches in the ID.4 (volume knob) and yet when VW provides one (standard VAG 'R' position for dipping USA right mirror upon reversing) we complain there's no software override. 🤷‍♂️

And I would think a "Live Free or Die" guy would appreciate less software. 😆 (teasing)
Shame there isn't an "always do this" setting for that.

·
3 Posts
Hi, I’m struggling with the same mirror dip issue from the beginning (1 month ago). Everyone says, read the manual and this is discussed multiple times. I can’t get this to work. The strange thing is, when the car is powered off, the mirrors menu shows the mirror dip option, but this can’t be set at that moment. When you power up, the option is gone. I’m driving a Euro 1st edition.
The dealership is looking into this May 17th, I hope this is just a softwarebug…

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Hi, I’m struggling with the same mirror dip issue from the beginning (1 month ago). Everyone says, read the manual and this is discussed multiple times. I can’t get this to work. The strange thing is, when the car is powered off, the mirrors menu shows the mirror dip option, but this can’t be set at that moment. When you power up, the option is gone. I’m driving a Euro 1st edition.
The dealership is looking into this May 17th, I hope this is just a softwarebug…
I noticed that the mirror side selector defaults to the center position when the car is off. This means that each time you have to remember to set it to "R" in order for the mirror to cant down when in reverse.

·
3 Posts
I noticed that the mirror side selector defaults to the center position when the car is off. This means that each time you have to remember to set it to "R" in order for the mirror to cant down when in reverse.
There’s no difference it just adjusts by hand, but automatically, even in R nothing happens.

·
16 Posts
I know with other VW group cars you need to be in reverse and set the mirror into the R position (L postion if right hand drive) then adjust it to where you want it. Once you reverse then go back into drive it should go back into the normal driving position.

·
3 Posts
I know with other VW group cars you need to be in reverse and set the mirror into the R position (L postion if right hand drive) then adjust it to where you want it. Once you reverse then go back into drive it should go back into the normal driving position.
That’s right, it’s supposed to work like that in the ID4 as well.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
We collectively complain about the lack of some hard buttons/switches in the ID.4 (volume knob) and yet when VW provides one (standard VAG 'R' position for dipping USA right mirror upon reversing) we complain there's no software override.

And I would think a "Live Free or Die" guy would appreciate less software. (teasing)
I think what's annoying about it is the fact that it's not a standalone button you can just press and forget about it when you want it to always do it, it's a combo button that controls a whole cluster of other functions.

That said, for me personally I nearly never need that function, so I don't care much, but I can see why it would be frustrating for others.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
True, but again this is a VAG-common implementation and it's worked fine for me for many years. However I'm typically the only one setting the mirrors and once done not much reason to change same, so thereafter just left in the 'R' (USA) position.
The right (USA) mirror lowering upon reverse really does help when parallel parking to avoid curb rash.
I think what's annoying about it is the fact that it's not a standalone button you can just press and forget about it when you want it to always do it, it's a combo button that controls a whole cluster of other functions.

That said, for me personally I nearly never need that function, so I don't care much, but I can see why it would be frustrating for others.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
214 Posts
Per the manual I set this up on mine. Then when in reverse I rotate the mirror button to the right. The mirror dips. I pull out and put it in drive. The mirror stays dipped until I return the switch to the center position then it comes back up. A lot of manual steps but then again I don’t always need the mirror dip. Just for times when trying to avoid road rash on the wheels when parallel parking.

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
31 Posts
In my GTI the mirror adjustment switch needs to be in the R position and it'll dip down.

Also in typical VW fashion, sometimes it remembers my previous setting, sometimes it doesn't lol. It's supposed to aim back up once you shut the car off, but every once in a while my car doesn't. I've made it a habit to put the mirror switch to the neutral position when I'm done parking so it'll aim back up.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
214 Posts
Something to note. The side mirror setting is one of the few that is specific to the key that unlocked the vehicle. Each key has a different setting stored. Kind of curious the regular mirror and seat positions are not yet tied to a key. Manual states that the dip is programmed to the key that unlocked and I tried it out with our 2 keys. This may account for oddness some experience.

·
1 Posts
I'm having exactly the same issue. Did the dealership come back with an explanation? I've noticed Americans have been able to set them to dip manually but that won't even work on ours. Keyless entry doesn't work either and there is no button on the inside of the driver's door to open the boot.

·
70 Posts
I don't believe the option is currently working properly. I turned mine off as I was finding the mirrors move to odd positions the next time I would get in to drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts