Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

ID.4 FE Blue
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving the country for 6 weeks over the summer. Wondering whether I can charge to 80%, take off the charger and find the car >30% 6 weeks later?

Proud FE owner
The 12-volt battery will be doing all the work. I left my ID.4 for nine days and there was no change in the state of charge.

VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
Leaving the country for 6 weeks over the summer. Wondering whether I can charge to 80%, take off the charger and find the car >30% 6 weeks later?
it normal conditions you should find it with 5% less after 6 weeks. and if want to have even less consumption.. put your car offline.

Reactions: M.B

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
You can of course also connect a smart Battery Tender (not an ol' school "trickle charger") on the 12VDC battery as you would for any other vehicle. Thereby no concern at all. I've used a low cost "Battery Tender Junior" for many years Battery Tender庐 Junior 12V, 750mA Battery Charger but the premium CTEK (56-353) Multi US 7002 is also highly regarded (just noticed substantial Amazon price drop on same).

From what I have read about Lithium batteries they do not degrade while idle. But the 12 volt battery does not like not being charged on a regular basis. The battery tender is a great idea, but I believe what you should do is charge the car to 80%. Remove the + cable on the 12 volt battery and make sure it does not touch anything and then connect the battery tender to the 12 volt battery, making sure you have the polarity correct. I have been using a battery tender on a vehicle I do not drive all winter and it has had the same battery for 10 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts