Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I’d start a new topic on mechanical issues since everything else has been about software so far. What mechanical or body issues have you faced so far?

I’ll kick it off with the next post.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are three issues.

1) The day I took delivery of my FE, they found a fault code. Here are the service tech’s notes from that.

2) I also apparently had an issue with the floor mat anchors that the service tech discovered (I didn’t notice it myself). The notes say the anchors were missing at the front driver side. They removed and reinstalled the seat and door slit trim in order to install the missing anchors.

3) I’ll also refer to the issue I had with the emergency release cable for the charge port discussed elsewhere. The cable is too short and wraps around a bracket that it should have been routed underneath. It can easily get stuck and fail to retract.

Reactions: theboomr

·
Proud FE owner
937 Posts
Were these notes from the results of the prescribed pre-delivery inspection or after the fact? Maybe the lamp issue is just from transit. Missing anchors is inexcusable.

I tried an emergency charge cable release and was never quite sure I succeeded (it was raining and and once I got disconnected, I wanted to close the hatch quickly. In any event, the design is not very intuitive and we shouldn't have to tear the carpet to get to it.

Reactions: Nai3t

·
ID.4 1st Edition
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were these notes from the results of the prescribed pre-delivery inspection or after the fact? Maybe the lamp issue is just from transit.
In short, this was not part of pre-delivery inspection, but it was found and repaired just before I technically bought it. As I was waiting for finance to put my paperwork together for the purchase, I sat in the car to play around. That’s when the infotainment screen went blank. Instead of doing a hard reset, then ran a diagnostic. That's when the found the fault - completely unrelated to the screen going blank. After they replaced the tail light assembly, they probably inadvertently did a hard reset of the infotainment system, which made it seem like they had resolved the problem via the tail light repair.

In any event, the design is not very intuitive and we shouldn't have to tear the carpet to get to it.
It's worse than that. There is no way to access the cable where it meets the bracket without taking the wheel off. Even if you could find the cable by reaching into the panel in the trunk (I tried and couldn't even find it), you wouldn't be able to resolve this particular problem.

Reactions: ErickF

·
Proud FE owner
937 Posts
I nicked my hand reaching into the panel and then got blood on the steering wheel. It wiped right off...so there's that! ;)

Reactions: Drew and Huey52

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
128 Posts
While body and door line up very well, the left side, rear door on our FE doesn't shut completely without an extra slam motion. Latch probably needs 1mm adjustment. On my list for next dealer visit.

·
Dusk Blue FE
78 Posts
Has anyone had a problem with the charging socket flap? (That's what it's called in the manual; I would call it the door that covers the charging socket.) Anyway, after charging the car today, I closed the flap in the usual way (gently) and noticed that the flap was ajar: it would not close tight but, worse, it would not open. I was worried that I could not charge the car at all if I couldn't get the flap opened, and I knew from Furkan's post that the flap can be fragile. While driving home, I looked in the side view mirror and saw that the flap had somehow freed itself and was hanging wide open. I pulled over and closed it and it looked like it was back to the proper alignment. Once home, I opened and closed the flap several times and found that the it now opens only intermittently -- you have to push it several times before it pops open. However, the closing operation is normal.

These QC issues are depressing.

·
46 Posts
Ok, on the mechanical issues topic. I've got 2. The trunk is intermittent when trying to open it hands free. This is irritating but definitely not a show stopper since this is the first car I've own that even does that (true 1st world problem). The second is far more concerning to me. When the childlock is set the back doors get locked on the outside too! So, my 5 year old is in no way that kid who will open the door while driving. However, he is definitely the kid who will incessantly roll the window up/down, up/down, etc. So, I turn on the childlock. We get to where we are going and of course my kid is still in the car. I say "hey dude get out". He (getting frustrated) yells back " I can't" while yanking the door handle. So, I go around to let him out and the door is locked from the outside and the car had not been locked by anyone! So, I go back to the driver's seat and press the button to deactivate childlock. But, at the same time my 5 year old is starting to get very irritated and is continuing to pull the handle. Because he was pulling on the handle when I pressed the button the childlock failed to disengage! It took a bit to get him to stop pulling the handle while I was disabling the childlock! So, I have 1 huge issue and that is that in an emergency no one can open the door to pull my kid out from the outside! ..and one small issue that the windows and doors should be childlocked separately since I want my child to egress the car on his own in an emergency and do not want him f'ing with the window incessantly. I will be addressing this at my 1 week maintenance once over at the dealership today.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
581 Posts
Ok, on the mechanical issues topic. I've got 2. The trunk is intermittent when trying to open it hands free. This is irritating but definitely not a show stopper since this is the first car I've own that even does that (true 1st world problem). The second is far more concerning to me. When the childlock is set the back doors get locked on the outside too! So, my 5 year old is in no way that kid who will open the door while driving. However, he is definitely the kid who will incessantly roll the window up/down, up/down, etc. So, I turn on the childlock. We get to where we are going and of course my kid is still in the car. I say "hey dude get out". He (getting frustrated) yells back " I can't" while yanking the door handle. So, I go around to let him out and the door is locked from the outside and the car had not been locked by anyone! So, I go back to the driver's seat and press the button to deactivate childlock. But, at the same time my 5 year old is starting to get very irritated and is continuing to pull the handle. Because he was pulling on the handle when I pressed the button the childlock failed to disengage! It took a bit to get him to stop pulling the handle while I was disabling the childlock! So, I have 1 huge issue and that is that in an emergency no one can open the door to pull my kid out from the outside! ..and one small issue that the windows and doors should be childlocked separately since I want my child to egress the car on his own in an emergency and do not want him f'ing with the window incessantly. I will be addressing this at my 1 week maintenance once over at the dealership today.
There's no window lock without turning on the child lock? I have never owned a car that they weren't separate. (Personally, I miss the manual switch on the side of the door, it was simple, worked great and let you lock just one side).

·
46 Posts
There's no window lock without turning on the child lock? I have never owned a car that they weren't separate. (Personally, I miss the manual switch on the side of the door, it was simple, worked great and let you lock just one side).
So, I can now not reproduce the door lock issue. So, I am wondering if it was a one time glitch that the external door handles were locked. Now to cross my fingers that it won't happen again! As a maintainer myself, there is nothing worse than an intermittent problem that can't be readily reproduced to see/diagnose the issue!

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
190 Posts
The ID.4 still has a manual switch on the edge of each read door. It even has one on the passenger front door. ?!?

·
83 Posts
So, I can now not reproduce the door lock issue. So, I am wondering if it was a one time glitch that the external door handles were locked. Now to cross my fingers that it won't happen again! As a maintainer myself, there is nothing worse than an intermittent problem that can't be readily reproduced to see/diagnose the issue!
Could it be that it was locked while the handle was being pulled from the inside?

·
46 Posts
So, I was finally able to reproduce it. When childlock is set if the child tries to open the door from the inside the external handle will lock! Big problem in an emergency!! Please check your cars too. I will be taking mine in next week to have the full diagnostic done on it which will create a ticket in the system. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.

·
46 Posts
So, I was finally able to reproduce it. When childlock is set if the child tries to open the door from the inside the external handle will lock! Big problem in an emergency!! Please check your cars too. I will be taking mine in next week to have the full diagnostic done on it which will create a ticket in the system. Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update.
The ID.4 still has a manual switch on the edge of each read door. It even has one on the passenger front door. ?!?
I tried to set the manual childlock on one of the rear doors... it does nothing.

·
2021 1st
448 Posts
Locking the external handle if the internal handle is pulled seems to be expected behavior...or at least it's what mine does, as well. Similarly, the door safety latch does not turn manually.

That said, the doors should unlock automatically in an accident. I believe that's been standard on vehicles for many years now.

·
46 Posts
So, what if it is a minor accident that does activate the crash system? I'm still not sure it is safe.

·
2021 1st
448 Posts
So, what if it is a minor accident that does activate the crash system? I'm still not sure it is safe.
I'm confused by your question. Your earlier concern was that it wouldn't unlock in an accident but now you're concerned that it might unlock in a minor accident?

·
Proud FE owner
937 Posts
VW Intelligent Crash Response automatically unlocks all doors when a collision is detected.

Reactions: ExCivilian

·
46 Posts
I'm confused by your question. Your earlier concern was that it wouldn't unlock in an accident but now you're concerned that it might unlock in a minor accident?
Yep, I don't think I was that clear. So, for clarity. When the childlock is engage if the internal door handle is pulled from the back seat that door's external handle becomes locked.
Situation #1 Let's say I get in an accident. The car unlocks as a part of the accident response system. Is the childlock still engage? If so, when my son reaches up to open the door and get out won't he just re-activate the door lock? Now he is stuck and rescue can't open the door. They may need to waste time breaking the window because the door was locked.
Situation #2 let's say I get in an accident and the accident response does not activate. (i.e. doors still locked) My child still needs to be pulled out be rescue for whatever reason. The kiddo pulls the internal door handle and locks the external handle. Problem again.
Child can't get out on his own in either situation and unknowingly locks the external handle by trying to open the door!

·
2021 1st
448 Posts
Yep, I don't think I was that clear. So, for clarity. When the childlock is engage if the internal door handle is pulled from the back seat that door's external handle becomes locked.
Situation #1 Let's say I get in an accident. The car unlocks as a part of the accident response system. Is the childlock still engage? If so, when my son reaches up to open the door and get out won't he just re-activate the door lock? Now he is stuck and rescue can't open the door. They may need to waste time breaking the window because the door was locked.
Situation #2 let's say I get in an accident and the accident response does not activate. (i.e. doors still locked) My child still needs to be pulled out be rescue for whatever reason. The kiddo pulls the internal door handle and locks the external handle. Problem again.
Child can't get out on his own in either situation and unknowingly locks the external handle by trying to open the door!
In Situation #1 the doors will all unlock and pulling on the handle won't active the locks again.

In Situation #2 the doors can be unlocked via the front switch or FOB even if the child pulls the handle and inadvertently locks the door.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts